Expobar Brewtus or Quickmill QM67

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
pcivic

#1: Post by pcivic »

Hy!

At first I wanted to buy lelit pl41 or rancilio silvia, but doing research decided to go for a higher class machine.

I narrowed my choice to two machines

Expobar Brewtus or Quickmill QM67

EXPOBAR BREWTUS:

-2x 1.5 boiler
-heat exhanger for brew watter through steam boiler
-pid for brew only
-not Italian
-not so aestetic
-quallity comparing to quickmill

QUICKMILL QM67:

-double pid
-better look
-Italian
-brew boiler "only" 0,75l steam 0,95l
-problems with steaming at the same time as brewing

I prefer Brewtus as aestetics are not so important for me, but I'am a bit worried about quallity. I would like to have a machine I can repair myself. Also I'm looking only at DB machines and not HX, becouse I have a feeling that I would upgrade eventually if I buy HX.

If there is some other E61 DB machine for this price point please let me know.

Thanks for all the help!

UltramaticOrange

#2: Post by UltramaticOrange »

pcivic wrote:Hy!
-problems with steaming at the same time as brewing
Where's that coming from? The QM67 is a double boiler. Brew and steam at the same time is no problem at all.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

pcivic (original poster)

#3: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

Quote from older topic:
seking wrote:I want to amend my previous review after spending more time with the machine.

1. Good coffee brewing. We roast our own beans and I definitely like the stability of the PID and double boiler. Thats a big upgrade from our HX machine.
2. Steaming is not great on this machine. The holes are too big. The 4 hole replacement tip is likely better (its on its way so can't say for sure) because of the smaller diameter of the holes. I think it will use less steam with smaller holes so might get more steam out of it? But those holes are too big to make good microfoam especially with small quantities. My wife confirmed my findings, and she is a microfoam master! I've read similar comments too.
3. Steam boiler is too small. What is the point of a double boiler if you can't brew coffee and steam at the same time? They don't recommend it in manual and in fact they strongly recommend steaming milk first. I know why now after observing. This is a 15 amp machine (will be my last) and as such, can only heat one element at a time. It gives priority to the brewing boiler. Large element heats fast, but still it will heat the brewing boiler first even if you are done with it and want to steam. SO, you need to steam milk first, which is the opposite of what I like to do to avoid separation. Bad design in my book.
Overall, a bit underwhelmed with the machine. I expected more. I'm going to bring it to the guy I bought it from to see if he can make some adjustments or something. My guess is he can't, but I'll keep you posted.
Quick Mill Dual Boiler QM67

UltramaticOrange

#4: Post by UltramaticOrange »

How many ounces is your typical milk drink? Mine is 6oz, my tiny HX machine (and therefore tiny boiler) has no issues with it. Plus, since the steam boiler is PID'd on the QM67, you can always dial up the temp to get more steaming oomph.

I'm not trying to push you to the QM67, I just think steaming is either a non-issue or an easily corrected one. I'm hoping a QM67 user will chime in, but if they don't, you might want to search "qm67" on youtube.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

debbiemc

#5: Post by debbiemc »

I have the QM67 and love it. I don't brew and steam at the same time, so that's not an issue with me. I usually do one to two drinks at the time. By the time I finish the first drink and get set up for the second, the temps have stabilized and it's ready to go again.

pcivic (original poster)

#6: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

My tipical milk drink is 6 to 8 oz.

I know that probably both machines will more than satisfy my needs but why did you choose quickmill over expobar?

How stable is the temp during brew on qm67? How fast is heat up time?

I am mainly choosing betwen shorter heat up time (probably qm67) vs more stable temp at brewing proces (brewtus?). The looks are booth nice on those two machines IMO so that is not a factor for me :)

debbiemc

#7: Post by debbiemc »

I looked at them both before my purchase. I had heard good things about the Quick Mill vendor. I also got a good price (open box), and I believe the QM67 is slightly smaller (space is an issue). I also liked the fact that both boilers are controlled by the PID.

One other comment - I don't have any problems steaming milk. I am using the standard two hole tip.

pcivic (original poster)

#8: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

How long does it take for machine to heat up, let's say so you can make passable espresso, and also how much to fully heat up?

for brewtus they say 25 minutes, to fully heat up 45 minutes.

pcivic (original poster)

#9: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

Marcey can you explain why in particular do you like it more?