Expobar Brewtus III or Breville Dual Boiler, both used in good condition

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Prairiekid

#1: Post by Prairiekid »

So pretty simple question.

Brewtus III - used in good condition $1365 or Breville - used in good condition $850.

And if you have time, your reason.

p.s. will the vibe pump be just as loud as on the Silvia?

Cheers

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

If I were to buy one new, the Breville. Used, however, I would go with the Brewtus. Will be easier for you to repair, and yo never know what condition the BDB is in. I think it is easier to examine the Brewtus.
Scott
LMWDP #248

NightFlight

#3: Post by NightFlight replying to sweaner »

My thoughts exactly and excellent advice. If I were you I would go bed bath and beyond (you must go in store) with their 20% off coupon and for $150.00 more you can buy a new 920xl with a 2 year warranty.

Prairiekid (original poster)

#4: Post by Prairiekid (original poster) »

That is pretty interesting. I am surprised, I thought the response was going to be unanimously Brewtus. Maybe the BDB deserves more respect than I am giving it.

HoldTheOnions

#5: Post by HoldTheOnions »

If you want classic E61 and can leave on all time or wait 30 mins to heat up, then Brewtus. If you want dosing and/or fast heating machine, then Breville.

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Bill33525 »

Would be helpful to know which model and age of each machine. For the BDB can not recommend the 900 because of the spin-out problems and general age of the machine. If it's a 920 with warranty might be an okay deal, but price is a bit high.

The Brewtus III can be pretty old and if that's the case the price is way too much.
Check this deal: https://www.wholelattelove.com/products ... so-machine
The Brewtus will offer user maintenance and repair where the BDB must be sent in for most repairs.

Hope this helps.

NightFlight

#7: Post by NightFlight »

Bill33525 wrote:Would be helpful to know which model and age of each machine. For the BDB can not recommend the 900 because of the spin-out problems and general age of the machine. If it's a 920 with warranty might be an okay deal, but price is a bit high.
Portafilter spin out can happen on any machine and is a problem as a result of a wet group gasket and portafilter and basket. I have a four year old 900xl which is now with my son and has at least 4,000 shots on it and is still running strong. The reason to not purchase a used machine is that Breville will NOT honor a warranty on a machine that is NOT on an original purchase. If you do have an original warranty or in some cases out of your original warranty (unlike other manufacturers) you get a new machine. In some cases an upgrade for a small fee.
A two year warranty with the features of the 920xl for 1,300.00 and 260.00 off with a BB&B coupon is the best bang for your buck semi auto/auto espresso machines there is. The only thing I have had that compares in the cup at the 1,000.00 price point is a lever machine. My next toy will be a Strega.
Bill33525 wrote:The Brewtus will offer user maintenance and repair where the BDB must be sent in for most repairs.
I agree that the Brewtus will offer maintenance and repair, however; the BDB has some of the same parts which fail as frequently as any other machine and can be fixed by the end user if required. The amazing thing is that up until this time most machine replacements (not repairs) have been handled by Breville. The feature list is incredible and descaling is incredibly simple on the 920xl. The OP may want to consider reading and following the Decent Espresso Machine thread and wait for its release, I know I am and will most likely try out one of those also.

Decent Espresso promises rock-solid temperature and pressure for less than $1000

Prairiekid (original poster)

#8: Post by Prairiekid (original poster) »

More on my my previous comment. I thought the Gicar PID and E61 would have been what pushed people in favour of the Brewtus.

My thought was $1300 seemed pretty affordable to get into a E61 - DB w/PID

I was looking at a PID for my Silvia and it doesn't seem worth it at this point.

I have heard about the Decent and will keep my eye out on it. It is good to know that you guys don't think that the Brewtus or BDB is a no brainer good deal.

brianl

#9: Post by brianl »

I would get the BDB over an E61 if you don't plan on plumbing and don't mind the look of it. The design of the BDB brew boiler is more in line with the linea mini and I expect more consistent shots from it.