Espresso only upgrade with $6000 budget. No milk--ever

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Jstroke

#1: Post by Jstroke »

Quick introduction.

12 years with Miss Silvia and a Rocky dozerless. Been very good to me and I have tamed her. But the budget has changed, the kids are growing and intravenous caffeine is now not the only reason for espresso.--I jest. My skills after 12 years are decent and ingrained. I don't pour too many down the sink unless I am really not paying attention. I can tell by color and timing to a degree, and I grind by eye, not weight. I am replacing both grinder and machine. Budget is North of 6,000. The reason for the lack of change is mostly due to the fact that I knew the jump in quality consistency and simplicity was not going to be insignificant. Commercial 1 group is an option

I may be different than others. I do not drink milk drinks--ever. I tried a latte from my favorite local roaster this week to make sure and it was fine, but mostly it got in the way of the shot. Here are the requirements.

NO TEMP SURFING
Plumbed--Pour Over is not an option any longer.
Rotary pump
Grinder--Dozerless/Stepless--probably flat burr

Shots Only
no light roasted florals with fruit etc.
Comfort Food--Guinness Beer, Creamy, Nutty, Pot Roast--Yummy

Consistent, Simple, High Quality. I will pay handsomely for those three words. I have other hobbies like Big Green Egg that exercise those three words. As such if I owned a GS/3 or Vesuvius it would be a waste--I will never play with those buttons. Once it is dialed in I will adjust my grind/dose/tamp and bean to match the machine. If none of that works, I won't be buying that bean again. Once i like something a lot, I don't switch. I used the same roasters espresso blend for 6 years until they changed the blend. It took me two months to find a another one I like as well. I am a creature of extreme habit. As such I have been very pleased with Miss Silvia as she as has gone through around 750 lbs of coffee without so much as a hiccup, other than learning how to surf. And admittedly, the inconsistency--is consistent. As such it is now time for an upgrade.

To be clear I am not interested in modding anything.

Here is what catches my eye.
Linea Mini
Vivaldi II
Alex Duetto 3

Grinders--undecided--call it 1,500.00--flat burrs

Thouoghts and Suggestions Welcome
Tin Can, Chuck Full of Nuts, and Eggshells

Bodka Coffee

#2: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Vivaldi and a K30.

Séb

#3: Post by Séb »

Linea mini + K30 :D...but it will be over the budget I think. For only espresso my personnal choice would be a spring lever machine like the Londinium L1-P. Love theses for just espresso, like the silent operation. Super simple to use too.

russel

#4: Post by russel »

Why not the LM shot puller? I did't see a reason not to go there in the post...
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

h3yn0w

#5: Post by h3yn0w replying to russel »

That's the one that jumped top of mind for me as well, but not sure how readily one can find or buy one these days.

nickw

#6: Post by nickw »

The grinder will make a bigger difference than the espresso machine. :)
I would sooner have a top end grinder + a good machine (like an e61 DB), than the inverse.

For the grinder:
- 1st. Terranova upgraded M3. Hands down my first choice. Especially for your taste preferences and roast type. No RDT or WDT needed (with his upgrades and funnels). You asked for the best, and no hassle, this is it. :mrgreen:
-2nd. Second choice is a stock Versalab M3. Then add a wood cover to deal with pop corning. If it's aligned from the factory (some are better than others) you'll be grinding around 90˙ past the zero point. Then you can always upgrade it later if you want.
- Note: Terranova/Frank also builds the Titus, which is based on a Versalab M3, but completely improved and built from scratch. That would be the ultimate imho, but starts at $5K. Which wouldn't leave anything left for your espresso machine.

For the machine (many good options):
- a LM shot brewer would be a great choice. Not sure of MSRP on a new one.
- GS/3 is similar, but it eats into your budget more, and leaves little for the grinder
- Linea mini is another good choice, same deal with eating into grinder budget.
- PID DB e61 (brand of your choice). You can shut the steam boiler off. Very good machine's for the price.

If I were in your shoes, I would sort the grinder first, then deal with the machine:
- Personally I'd get a new/used Versalab M3 (see where alignment is at). Price $1500-2500
- If needed, have Terranova upgrade it. Which would add $1000-2000 (depending upgrades/finishes)
- Then once you have your grinder sorted (I'd keep using the Silvia in the meantime), upgrade to the best espresso machine you can afford with remaining budget.

My 2 cents anyways :)
Cheers!

zapa

#7: Post by zapa »

In my opinion you should spend more than 1.5k on a grinder. If your budget is north of 6k you may want to spend around 3k on the grinder. A mythos would be a pretty good option

LukeFlynn

#8: Post by LukeFlynn »

Personally, I don't think anyone should spend a certain amount on a grinder, after you spend so much they start to become more and more similar. I for one think it's possible to get a great grind (especially for home use when you're not heating up the burrs so much) with something like a used Mazzer Major (~500). Nevertheless, I understand your point. I'd probably go for a Ceado E37s (If I didn't own the major) and a Linea Mini.

dominico
Team HB

#9: Post by dominico »

I've seen people state that a used Major would cost around 500 to 700 before, but I've never actually seen one for sale at that price. Where am I not looking that I should be?
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

shawndo

#10: Post by shawndo »

h3yn0w wrote:That's the one that jumped top of mind for me as well, but not sure how readily one can find or buy one these days.
As of a few months ago, I heard they are still making shot brewers and can slap one together if they are out of stock. You just need to call an LM reseller and have them ask LM for you. (LM won't sell it directly)

I still love mine. The only caveat is that it needs a long warming flush before pulling the shot. It has a huge boiler so no danger of running out of stable-temp water during a shot or 3.

La Marzocco Espresso-only Shot Brewer

For grinder, I'd give this guy a call. He is making flat and conical versions. email for more info.
http://www.kafatek.com/index.php/monolith/
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra