Espresso machine upgrade? Please weigh in.

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
threwitallaway

#1: Post by threwitallaway »

Hi, I currently have a Pasquini Livia 90 semi-auto espresso machine and Mazzer Mini purchased in late spring 2002. The machine performs well enough and was one of the few prosumer choices out there 10 years ago.
Since then I have noticed that the home market has grown quite large and there is TOO much information out there now, unlike just a few short years ago.

I like a nice cup (or 4) in the morning but get up VERY early (except on weekends) and don't really want to get into a machine that will require excessive warm-up time. My Livia kicks on around 3:30 a.m. and I can easily pull shots by 4 a.m.

Also, although I would love to be a purist and get the best of the best and use the finest equipment and beans there are in existence, I simply cannot. I use as my main coffee, Danesi Gold, whole bean of course. If there is a coffee recommended by the majority I would always be willing to give it a try.

I am willing to spend a decent amount on a high end, single-group, prosumer or light duty commercial machine.
1) Rotary pump is a must because I am tired of the noise of the vibration pump.
2) Double boiler? PID the unit?
3) Lever, Semi-auto or Auto?
4) Must include 100% dry-steam wand (preferably burn) and hot water dispense ( I love the steam wand on the Livia 90)
Also, I do not have the option of waste-water disposal directly into the plumbing, but may be able to rig up a can or something under-the-counter. I also may well be able to plumb the unit in. If not, I can always have an under-the-counter reservoir/pump.

I have no height restrictions because I have this on its own counter with a bored hole to the cupboard below for power.

So, fellow espresso lovers, what are your recommendations? Please help!

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

A. What do you want? Better espresso, or just better equipment to look nice? If you want better espresso buy better beans, there are loads of suggestions. At the very least, get coffee that has a roast date stamped to it. If you don't have phenomenal coffee, you won't ever pull phenomenal espresso. If you're not willing to do that, what's the point of upgrading anything?

If you actually want better espresso, you will get great beans, and you will upgrade your grinder. Then you will think about a new machine. Any upgrade to your machine will be much less in the cup than beans and grinder.

B. Your question.

1) OK
2) Double Boiler + PID = least amount of fuss, easy to deal with (PID optional)
3) "lever" = E-61, not lever as in the lever espresso machine forum? E-61 or push button, doesn't make a huge difference. The E-61 grop is proven and robust, why change?
4) OK

Short story, do research, there are a lot of options, Alex Duetto comes to mind. Start at Chris Coffee Service, since they have enough machines to give you an idea, but not every machine in the world.

30 minute heat-up time will be very difficult to come across. Just start your 10$ wall timer an hour early and don't worry about it.
LMWDP #353

Advertisement
Compass Coffee

#3: Post by Compass Coffee »

Your Livia and Mini are over a decade old. Approximately how many pounds have been run through the Mini? More than 150lb since burrs replaced? If yes replace the burrs and you should see an immediate shot improvement. Next improvement in potential shot quality would be a grinder better than the Mazzer Mini not a different espresso machine.
Mike McGinness

crazy4espresso

#4: Post by crazy4espresso »

Ok, this can't be stressed enough. You need fresh roasted coffee, less than 2 weeks post roast! Look up some local roasters and give their coffee a try. This will vastly improve your coffee before any new machine will. As mentioned, look into upgrading your grinder first, or at the very least get new burrs if they've never been replaced.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by uscfroadie »

Nate, Welcome to HB.
Compass Coffee wrote:Your Livia and Mini are over a decade old. Approximately how many pounds have been run through the Mini? More than 150lb since burrs replaced? If yes replace the burrs and you should see an immediate shot improvement. Next improvement in potential shot quality would be a grinder better than the Mazzer Mini not a different espresso machine.
Mike, Why so soon? Mazzer recommends every 660 lbs.

Nate,

First thing you need to change is your beans. You'll find a great list of roasters here.

Waiting for your answers on what you are looking for before throwing out suggestions.

Cheers!
Merle

Compass Coffee

#6: Post by Compass Coffee »

uscfroadie wrote:Mike, Why so soon? Mazzer recommends every 660 lbs.
My apologies, went from memory after long day. I should have said 330lb not 150lb. My experience mfg recommendations are far too long for good quality grind and find dividing by 2 a much better interval to keep shots singing.

OTOH Rocky's 50mm burrs aren't that much smaller than the Mini's 58mm and a boat load of current and previous Rocky owners will attest 75-100lb change interval ideal for Rocky burrs.
Mike McGinness

happycat

#7: Post by happycat »

You haven't mentioned why you want to upgrade... but you seem to have solid equipment.

You may want to try some coffee roasting. I started roasting only about 8 months after I started drinking coffee. I buy green bean from Sweet Marias and roast them in a popper with some modifications. If you are looking to upgrade equipment, you probably have enough budget to get a good little roaster.

Green beans are way cheaper, and by roasting them yourself you have more control over the kinds of flavours you will get. Your coffee will always be way fresher than commercial alternatives.

Re time... I have a crappy little popcorn popper I bought for $17 with some modifications on it. I roast 100 gram batches in sessions of about 20 mins including weighing, roasting, dumping, cooling and putting into a jar. I usually read or watch TV beside my roaster so I'm able to do three batches in an hour without much extra work.
LMWDP #603

Advertisement
spressomon

#8: Post by spressomon »

I previously had and used daily a Livia 90 I had purchased new in '98 or '99 until my Londinium LI arrived this spring. On a good day the Livia 90 could produce a near perfect shot. Unfortunately the bad/inconsistent days/shots far outweighed the good. I'm not sure why my Livia 90 was so inconsistent...after I perfected my weighing, grinding and tamping skills (yes...quality beans and bean care were apart of the equation) getting quality espresso shots was still a moving target.

If you have eliminated all the related variables to getting consistently good espresso out of your Livia 90 and are still missing the proverbial bullseye then by all means a different machine might be in order. As others above have mentioned: Resolve other upstream issues before focussing on replacement of the last link in the chain.

Having said that I am 100% happy with the migration to the LI from my former Livia 90 (and the Pharos too).
No Espresso = Depresso

threwitallaway (original poster)

#9: Post by threwitallaway (original poster) »

Gentlemen,

I do want a better machine insomuch as I would like to move to a rotary pump. The "Double boiler," & "PID" discussion comes from both looking through this forum, and through a bit of research realizing that the the home front has literally exploded with quality equipment in the last few years. When I started looking, the three top choices (in prosumer equipment) were Baby Gaggia, Miss Silvia, and the Livia 90. I may still have a very viable setup, Just have been wondering if I could do a little bit better. -And I'm tired of the noisy vibration pump!

It sounds like, from many of your posts, that Beans/Grind are the key issues here. I cannot disagree with that.

I do like the flavor of the Danesi bean, but in times past I have also tried Circi, Lavazza, Illy, and some local roasters. One issue with a new coffee supplier is dialing in the grinder to adjust to the different product. I have blown away a lot of espresso trying to get a good grind after receiving coffee from a new provider!
I will say I am looking for a combination of Cost, consistency and reliability (ease of purchase). Two 2.2 lb bags of Danesi Gold are $52 shipped to my door. Roast date is never more than 6 months out. Yes, of course I realise fresh is better.

I will look at my burrs tonight to determine if they are an issue. I have probably run at least 125 lbs of beans through the Mazzer over the years; I have not always made espresso every day like I am now. I would recognize a dull burr; I have years of experience in metalworking.

Should I try a better grinder though? I thought the Mazzer Mini was an excellent choice at the time. Mahlkonig is an excellent machine, not sure I need to go there.

Is there a way to alter my existing Livia with a rotary pump? That would help. Please keep the suggestions coming, and thank you all for your help and input thus far.

n8

Compass Coffee

#10: Post by Compass Coffee »

Sounds like shot temp consistency issue, common with HX machines if not using a good surf methodology. This is the big advantage of DBs.
spressomon wrote:I previously had and used daily a Livia 90 I had purchased new in '98 or '99 until my LI arrived this spring. On a good day the Livia 90 could produce a near perfect shot. Unfortunately the bad/inconsistent days/shots far outweighed the good. I'm not sure why my Livia 90 was so inconsistent...after I perfected my weighing, grinding and tamping skills (yes...quality beans and bean care were apart of the equation) getting quality espresso shots was still a moving target.

If you have eliminated all the related variables to getting consistently good espresso out of your Livia 90 and are still missing the proverbial bullseye then by all means a different machine might be in order. As others above have mentioned: Resolve other upstream issues before focussing on replacement of the last link in the chain.

Having said that I am 100% happy with the migration to the LI from my former Livia 90 (and the Pharos too).
Mike McGinness