www.seattlecoffeegear.com: let us help you find the right gear

Espresso Machine Service Intervals

Postby sgoldrei on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:13 am

How often do you find that you service your espresso machine?
Of course the answer is "well, it depends..."

But say, for the average Home Barista, you prep a drink for you and your spouse, sidekick, or other once a day for an average of say 500 a year?

How often do you feel compelled to service the unit?
How much do you spend on the typical visit to the tech?
Do you service the group/shower head yourself and leave the electricals to the pros?
Does it change depending if the machine is a light commercial GS-series, Rocky, Rancilio, etc or a consumer Saeco, Breville, etc machine?

Consensus at my workplace is about 3 a year. Is that high, low or about average?
sgoldrei

Postby darilon on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:23 pm

Backflush daily, clean dispersion screen monthly or when I remember. New group gasket ~1/year. I pretty much never need to descale, in fact the water here causes probably the least scale of anywhere in the world - but I check for scale 2x/year. Other than that, I switch p-stat contacts every so often and will need to replace it within a few years. I remove and clean the overpressure valve and other sundry items every couple of years or as needed. If anything breaks, I replace or fix it myself (haven't had to do much of anything in the 3+ years I've owned my 20 year old Cimbali Jr D/1)
darilon

Quotable Quote
"Cafe franchises are not real cafes, but an endlessly replicating virus of mediocrity. Good cafes, run and staffed by people who actually like and know coffee, are the antidote to this." --Jim Schulman, What is good training book for barista like franchise training?

Postby Londonplug on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:49 pm

How often do you find that you service your espresso machine?

Good question, With my duetto I probably do one session of two to five drinks per day, backflush twice before switching off, give the group a backflush session with pullycaff once a month and run descaler through the machine once a year and thats it, have not had any problems or issues with the machine perhaps i should be doing more??? i just dont know
Londonplug