Espresso machine recommendations for cheap

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bmock

#1: Post by bmock »

Hello, I was gifted a delonghi entry level machine and have been using for a year. I am looking to upgrade. I learned how to use the machine through this site and watching videos etc. I learned alot and have got my grind dialed in decent on my virtuoso.

So Im looking to upgrade, Ive been looking on ebay etc. and I have no way of knowing what to get. I'm interested in a machine that is a bit quicker to pull 3-4 shots consecutively and my wife loves milk and the delonghi is terrible. I really want a machine or lever that doesnt need to be "modded" to work right.

Can't break the bank either is there anything decent for cheap?!?!

Thanks,

Ben

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

How to choose an espresso machine and grinder at the "right" price offers a good start:
HB wrote:Q. There are so many choices of espresso equipment. What general advice to you offer?

A. Although there's a lot of choices, you can make your decision more easily with the help of online communities like Home-Barista.com, CoffeeGeek.com, etc. People who share your interest in espresso can offer their recommendations, typically based upon hands-on experience. For general information, I recommend this video:
For other recommendations, search on "budget espresso machine" find find discussions at various pricepoints. If you haven't done so already, read CoffeeGeek's How to buy an espresso machine. Between these resources, you should find all your questions answered and many you've yet to consider.
Watch the above video. What budget among the three classes fits your needs? If low-cost is the imperative, I usually recommend something along the lines of a Gaggia New Baby (currently on sale for $234) + Baratza Preciso. If not the Rancilio Silvia/Rocky... then what? is a recent thread discussing the tradeoffs.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
damonbowe

#3: Post by damonbowe »

Get a lever machine. They can make a few really good shots and steam milk. You cannot make endless shots with them but you can't do that with anything in the less expensive price range. If you can go up to $1200, get a Strega. Otherwise, get a manual lever. By far the most bang for your buck. Lots of people "upgrade" to $2000+ machines and then go back to using a manual lever because they like the shots more. But be warned that these do have a learning curve and you will need to enlist the help of someone to teach you how to pull shots on it, or you will have to sit through a ton of youtube videos.

bmock (original poster)

#4: Post by bmock (original poster) »

thanks, i appreciate the learning curve. any suggestions on a manual?

bmock (original poster)

#5: Post by bmock (original poster) »

Thanks for the links, lots of things to consider!

sweaner

#6: Post by sweaner »

Ben, we need to know how big the "bank" is!
Scott
LMWDP #248

bmock (original poster)

#7: Post by bmock (original poster) replying to sweaner »

Not enough! Been looking at the gaggia, classic, baby etc... thoughts?

My baratza virtuoso should do a decent job right? I've been pulling decent shots on the delonghi.

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

damonbowe wrote:If you can go up to $1200, get a Strega.
Where do you see Stregas selling for $1200? That's outside the OP's budget anyway, but I think you're several hundred $ short.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

bmock (original poster)

#9: Post by bmock (original poster) replying to drgary »

way out of the budget, just stuck thinking if I should do a gaggia or just wait a year or so and save for a big boy espresso machine or lever...

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

You can always re-sell what you get now and save up for something good. When I was in your position I found a few used machines and learned to service them. My first one was a La Pavoni Europiccola I found in working condition for $50. It still works great and was the start of my learning about lever machines. It pulls as well as my Olympia Cremina. Build quality isn't as good and steam valve needs frequent servicing but the coffee's just fine.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!