Espresso machine + grinder, $2000 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Gillingham

#1: Post by Gillingham »

After backing and getting screwed by ZPM, it's time to actually buy a machine that exists.
Right now I have a clever, aeropress, and V60 as well as a Krups GX610050 grinder and a small hario grinder. I'm looking to upgrade from that onto something espresso capable.
I'm likely only going to do a shot or two a day, and 90% of the time just shots, no steaming for caps or anything else.

The Quickmill Alexia caught my eye as it seems to be not too expensive and suitable for espresso.
I assume my existing Krups grinder probably wont work to well for proper espresso, but would doing something like the Lido 2 be suitable? I would like to stay under my budget if possible.

Alternatives/suggestions/advice?

Thanks

elusiven

#2: Post by elusiven »

I suspect that you aren't going to get a ton of responses because this kind of question covers well-trodden ground and can be addressed via searching old threads, but I'll bite, because I have a lot of work I am trying to avoid doing right now :)

So assuming you are sticking to straight espresso and don't ever want to have reasonable milk drink capacities, single boilers like the Alexia are sufficient (alternatively you might want to consider the ECM Classika, which is PIDed for around the same price). If you were a fan of all the tech the ZPM promised, you may also want to consider the the Breville 920xl. The first two options are going to have a more robust build quality, and likely serve you longer. Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder. The Bezzera BZ10 is also worth considering if you are open to an HX at that price point.

Regarding grinders [HB boilerplate grinder advice]: it's arguably the most important aspect to making good espresso, so don't skimp. The Lido 2, while great, is primarily a cupping grinder. You are going to want a Vario, (used?) Mazzer or Le'Lit PL53 as a baseline.

Considering you live near a major metropolitan area, there are great things to be had on the used market on CL (or here/coffeegeek). If you reasonably vet previous owners to get a sense of the care they took, you can often find gear in great condition that has depreciated 50% or more. Most people upgrade the gear they start with as they learn more about espresso and their usage/likes. If you buy used, you can often resell at close to what you paid and put the money to something you realize you really want.

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention manual levers. In my opinion, they provide some of the best straight espresso, but levers aren't for everyone.
LMWDP #497

day

#3: Post by day »

No question in my mind...if you are only going to do 1-2 shots a day 90% just the shot, then you should pursue a lever. There are some incredible levers in the sub 2k market, and many in the sub 1.5 k market, leaving you with enough for a good grinder. They are beautiful and with a naked portafilter create a far more satisfactory experience. The only real downside would be losing the push button ease and with some of the approx 1k machines losing group temp control for multiple shots. With your budget and needs you should be able to get a perfect lever/grinder for 2k.

Sorry about the zpm thing...this is really not to be mean but...I took a look at it...when they said "Our redesigned thermoblock ensures quick and consistent temperature, and allows for rapid switching between brewing and the steam wand... PID-controlled customizable temperature and pressure, pre-infusion, or shot-time settings...Our machine is made entirely of metal" and they "looked at all the latest technologies, and we developed a few of our own...for 200 bucks" I was on the floor laughing. I can just imagine Brevilles frustration at how these guys had managed do EVERYTHING..EVERYTHING... Breville had ever wanted to accomplish all while in their garage.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#4: Post by EspressoForge »

If you take your $2k budget, spend $1200-1500 on a titan grinder, and the rest on a machine, possibly a used lever...I think you'll have an easier time with espresso. Of course, you could spend less on a grinder and still get great espresso, but not quite as easy to dial in or keep dialed in.

Just my experience. And likely, you'll eventually want to upgrade your machine, even if you spend a lot on it now. So spending more on the grinder up front always makes sense.

You could instead get a Vario for around $450 and spend the rest on a HX or DB machine, or a larger lever (used Strega...if you can find one). Or $1k on a HG-One and have $1k left for the machine...up to you really. Try to do more research about the grinder, and decide on that first, that'll tell you how much you have left to spend on the machine.

Strictly Amateur

#5: Post by Strictly Amateur »

Gillingham,

Until earlier today, I was shopping too. Extensively. My observations are just that; I'm a newbie.

The Baratza Vario discounted may be under $450 and in Your budget with Alexia. Vario is in a class by itself at that price. Another option at that price point (I noticed before making a double boiler My deciding factor) is the Rocket Cellini Classic at $1,500 before potential discount. Consider Seattle Coffee Gear, without sales tax and free shipping. -They will not actually ship it. It's already been shipped, they'll TRUCK it.

Why do people call things sent by boat, cargo and things sent by truck, shipments?

For that matter, Why do We park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Got to throw out there, Your close to double boiler country with the QM67 (w/PID) and the Vario, although it's a tad over Your request to keep below budget. Clive in Portland, OR may give a combo discount, free trucking, w/o tax...

After examining the benefits of a double boiler, in My situation, I felt like the HX was almost unacceptable.

Gillingham (original poster)

#6: Post by Gillingham (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice
Strictly Amateur wrote:Got to throw out there, Your close to double boiler country with the QM67 (w/PID) and the Vario, although it's a tad over Your request to keep below budget. Clive in Portland, OR may give a combo discount, free trucking, w/o tax...

After examining the benefits of a double boiler, in My situation, I felt like the HX was almost unacceptable.
I came close the same conclusion myself, I understand people suggestions levers etc but I really want a first machine to be something that limits the number of variables I can screw up, so a boiler setup with PID seems to be the way to go. I'm just going to try to find a deal on the QM67, it seems to be a good price point for a very decent double boiler that will last. Perhaps by the time I do I can put more spending money away and at least get something along the lines of a vario, if not enough to step up to an HG-One.

day

#7: Post by day »

Not to sound mean, but spending close to 2k on a machine but getting something noticeably cheaper than the vario- unless used commercial of craigslist-would be as big a mistake as believing the pdm kick starter ever had a chance.

Messing up the pressure on a lever is way easier to fix than grinds

The point is not lever vs rotary vs vibration, but rather that the grinder is critical and if you havent got that within reasonable tolerance then it demonstrates fundamental misunderstandings of espresso prep. Like someone getting a hg One, then buying a bunch of clearance beans at target for the next year. Obviously lacking information.

#8: Post by Gillingham (original poster) »

day wrote:Not to sound mean, but spending close to 2k on a machine but getting something noticeably cheaper than the vario- unless used commercial of craigslist-would be as big a mistake as believing the pdm kick starter ever had a chance.

Messing up the pressure on a lever is way easier to fix than grinds
To clarify I meant the plan was to get a Vario at a minimum, not step down, ideally step up to something better than the vario buy not buying now and/or finding a deal.

day

#9: Post by day »

Ah my apologies, i see now you meant by the time you find a good deal.

#10: Post by Gillingham (original poster) »

Ended up finding a returned QM67 and snagging that plus a vario, time to start accessory shopping.

Is there a go-to bottomless portafilter, if it matters I'll only be making shots for myself most of the time so I have no idea if I should try and find one with a single, triple, or double basket. I guess maybe a triple is more flexible as I can just underfill it?