Entering the world of pourover

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
maur1c3

#1: Post by maur1c3 »

Have gotten so used to my espresso 3-4 doubles a day, 2 to start the day at 04:30. Found out i am being sent to pittsburgh for a month in June. My QM67 and K3 touch will not be going with me. Took me a year of using Nespresso to decide on my espresso equipment, now looking to get in to pour over for on the road, and maybe at work. I am leaning towards a Kalita Wave, but am really undecisive on the grinder. Any advice would be appreciated, for entering the world of pour over. I have subsciptions with Bodka, and George Howell. I would probably have to drink Monsters before I could go back to plain drip coffee

JDolezal

#2: Post by JDolezal »

Welcome to the forum! And welcome to Pittsburgh, in a few months :D

What sort of budget are you looking at? On the lower end of the spectrum, hario grinders do a reasonable job. But if a ~$150 travel grinder is in your budget, I've heard great things about the Lido series (the Lido 3 will be released soon), by Orphan Espresso.

maur1c3 (original poster)

#3: Post by maur1c3 (original poster) »

would like whole setup to be under 250.00, and user friendly. This would be for all needed from bean to cup, except beans.

day

#4: Post by day »

For personal use i personally think the hario is top notch. However you do need to weigh your grams and adjust the grind according to the coffee and dose, even a little off in water or dose can introduce bitterness or sourness. I have read of cafés moving away from the hario becaise of those demands causing inconsistencies, but for personal use where you can easily monitor and control a limited number of variables i think its excellent. Would also be very portable, cheap and durable for a couple dofferent sizes, and allow you to pick up a travel scale, hard case with brewing devices and a kettle and have just enough left to sink all that budget into the lido 2-the grinder you should be getting for this purpose imo:)

Edit: because of the gooseneck kettle it might start getting ridiculous though, but in terms of pourover anyway
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

[creative nickname]

#5: Post by [creative nickname] »

Here's what I like best in this budget range:

Bonavita PID-controlled Gooseneck Kettle: currently available for $64

Lido 2 Grinder: $175

Hario V60-01 Plastic Dripper Cone: $6.

Total: $245.

(You'd probably want to add a flow restrictor to the kettle at some point to reduce the flow rate of the stream, but those can be acquired quite cheaply from a variety of sources.)
LMWDP #435

morecoffee1

#6: Post by morecoffee1 »

Since you will be in one place for a month would you also be interested in electric grinders?

Run2Joe

#7: Post by Run2Joe »

I know you said, "pourover", but I have recently acquired an espro press and have been mightily impressed.
Lido 2 $175
Espro medium (second) $70
Immersion heater $5

I assume that you already have a scale and a thermometer.
Very little mess: Heat the water in the Espro, add your ground coffee, wait four minutes and you are done.
You would need a brush to do clean-up.

kaldi61

#8: Post by kaldi61 »

My expeditionary kit currently consists of a cheap electric kettle, a Lido2, a Clever, and a Jennings CJ4000 scale. You can get the PID Gooseneck kettle, but the Clever renders that unnecessary. In straight pourover you have to control everything and the gooseneck helps. In Clever you pour all the water into the clever, and then stir a bit. Therefore a cheapy kettle is just fine. I don't miss the PID because I boil water, then open the top, wait 30 seconds and my water has cooled enough to pour. Not precise perhaps, but it works consistently.

The Jennings CJ4000 scale - I just priced out at $27 on a shopping site. Hario makes a combination scale/digital timer that looks nice but I don't have experience with it. I do like the Jennings - it's only accurate to the 0.5 gram (sufficient for any pourover technique), but it's easy to keep clean and has a nice cover that can double as a scale tray.

I think the scale is critical for any pourover technique. I always work directly on it.

Espro is a good suggestion. I don't own one, but am interested in trying. It also brings the best of immersion and mitigates some of the mud.
-Nelson

LMWDP #506 "It's not just for breakfast anymore."

maur1c3 (original poster)

#9: Post by maur1c3 (original poster) »

morecoffee1 wrote:Since you will be in one place for a month would you also be interested in electric grinders?
Yes electric would be fine

DouloScott

#10: Post by DouloScott »

For me I would go with:
• Lido 2 - $175.00 (http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-LIDO-2 ... _p_14.html)
• Bonavita Bona Voyage Kettle - $31.12 (http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Voyage-0 ... 008YQLZOW/)
• AWS Digital Scale - $21.21 (http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Sc ... 008FSHPNO/)
• Clever Coffee Dripper - $22.00 (https://www.sweetmarias.com/store/brewi ... large.html)
-------------------
Total -- $249.33

Though you do still need to buy #4 cone filters for the Clever - $4.50 (https://www.sweetmarias.com/store/brewi ... white.html)
-------------------
Total -- $253.83