ECM Technika Recommendations?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bpugh

#1: Post by bpugh »

Hello all,

Can anyone here comment on their experiences with the ECM Technika machines?

I am in the market for a new machine and have found little to read regarding user experiences.

Thank you for your consideration,

Bob

kwantfm

#2: Post by kwantfm »

I've got a Technika Profi IV with vibe pump. I like it a lot. I have no temp management issues, I don't feel the need to flush except to clear the shower screen in between shots. It produces very sweet and viscous shots. I recently had a friend over who owns a GS3 and he was extremely impressed with the Technika.

I am, however, feeling some twinges of upgraditis but I'm not sure if they are signs of "magical thinking" or not. I think that I should have got the Technika with a rotary pump and ability to plumb in. I can't believe it, but I'm now at the really lazy stage where I'd prefer a plumb in so that I can stop filling the reservoir (which is large) and emptying out the drip tray (which is also large)... I feel pathetic about this!

On to the "magical thinking", the vibe pump version has a copper boiler. The rotary has a stainless steel boiler. I don't know if I can taste the difference between the two but there have been some interesting posts here on HB which means that I at least have the question in my head!
LMWDP #602

caryet

#3: Post by caryet »

I'm going on almost a year with the Technika Prof IV pour-over w/rotary pump. I am quite happy with the performance/operation of the machine and a year later if I had to do it again I doubt I would choose differently. It produces consistent shots.... especially when paired with a good grinder and fresh beans. l could probably find something wrong with it if I had to, but I would be nit picking at best. The pour-over works just fine for my situation, and I don't regret not choosing the direct-connect version. The ECM line is certainly not as popular as some of the other main-stream machines, but don't let that cloud your judgement as I think ECM will be gaining a lot more respect in the coming years. It's a very very good machine worth considering.
Cary

keno

#4: Post by keno »

The Technika is a great machine. I've got the switchable model with the rotary pump and stainless boiler and I've been very happy with it after resolving an initial temperature issue that you can read about here:

Lessons in diagnosing brew temperature problems

But I think you can make great espresso or terrible espresso on any E61 machine. The grinder and barista skill have more of an impact than the machine. So when it comes to choosing a machine it's more a matter of figuring out whether you want a DB, HX, or lever machine. If you decide on an HX E61 machine then I think it's a matter of preference regarding which one.

I chose the Technika because of the ergonomics, styling, and quality of the components. The levers for steam and hot water work great and the portafilters are awesome. I think the stainless boiler is a real advantage over other machines in this price range. My only real gripes about this machine are that the stock baskets aren't very good and there are too many screws (6) to get access to the internals. The temperature management is pretty straightforward because it requires very little flushing, but I highly recommend Eric's thermometer with any E61 machine.

Javier

#5: Post by Javier »

keno wrote:My only real gripes about this machine are that the stock baskets aren't very good and there are too many screws (6) to get access to the internals.
But the stock portafilter will accept other baskets (e.g., Espresso Parts HQ baskets), right?
LMWDP #115

dsblv

#6: Post by dsblv »

Bob, cross posting between web sites is discouraged. Most readers read both sites, so you'll get plenty of feedback from just posting to one site.

https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espre ... nes/639072

kwantfm

#7: Post by kwantfm »

keno wrote:My only real gripes about this machine are that the stock baskets aren't very good
This made me laugh and shows that everyone's experience is so different. I much prefer the stock baskets to a set of VSTs that I bought!
LMWDP #602

bpugh (original poster)

#8: Post by bpugh (original poster) »

Thank you for your guidance re: cross posting - I will heed your advice.

Bob

keno

#9: Post by keno »

kwantfm wrote:This made me laugh and shows that everyone's experience is so different. I much prefer the stock baskets to a set of VSTs that I bought!
Very true, and it could be technique differences or an interaction with the grinder. I'm using a Cimbali Max Hybrid. It looks to me like the stock basket holes are very small diameter and in my experience this resulted in very slow pours with soupy pucks. When I coarsened the grind it resulted in a weak extraction. I have used a LM basket and now I'm using a VST basket both with much better results.

Yes, the baskets are easily changed and relatively inexpensive. I have also tried the EspressoParts HQ baskets and those worked well for me.

kwantfm

#10: Post by kwantfm »

For reference my grinders are an HG one 83 mm and a Mazzer Mini E with SJ burrs.
LMWDP #602