Early upgrade? Stick with Rancilio Silvia or switch to ECM Giotto

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ripvanmd

#1: Post by ripvanmd »

I really need to stop looking at craigslist, I really do. A year or so ago I purchased a rocky/silvia combo for $150 total. I sold the rocky for $200 and recently added a brew/steam PID to the Silvia. Came across a 2007 ECM Giotto on CL for 600. I prefer straight espresso but the wife wants lattes and such. Any thoughts on whether I should hold on to the Silvia or sell it and pick up this HX machine? Is that even a good deal for a Giotto? Searched a bunch before asking but just curious about current opinions...any help is appreciated.

rittem1

#2: Post by rittem1 »

I will let others much more versed on the Giotto comment on that deal but if you can get a Silvia/Rocky combo for $150 you need to be spending a lot more time on CL, not less. Or just let me know when these great deals come up. I'm on CL every day in my area just in case...
LMWDP #517

Advertisement
ripvanmd (original poster)

#3: Post by ripvanmd (original poster) »

I didn't mention the 2 Super Jollies and the Bunn G1 I got for $250...

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

ripvanmd wrote:Came across a 2007 ECM Giotto on CL for 600.
If it's in good shape I think that's a good deal. The last two I saw on eBay went a bit over $800, as well as one that recently sold on this forum.

I'm very happy with my ECM Giotto - a 2002. (I bought mine in good shape from a fellow HB-er for around $800.) Took me a while to learn the cooling flush magic after having only used Pavoni style manual levers, but once I got used to that it became my daily driver. I keep it on a timer and leave it on all day. It'll do a fine job on cappas and lattes, including cranking them out for a small party of guests.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Silvio

#5: Post by Silvio »

As a personal choice, I would go on a HX with no regrets, because it will deliver a superior coffee taste. And here I mean the taste of espresso greatly improved as a result of direct extraction of fresh water into grouphead from reservoir...... not like single boiler, namely Rancilio Silvia and more, where the water stays in constant boiling
Please, excuse my english grammar....it's not my native language

LukeFlynn

#6: Post by LukeFlynn »

I had a Silvia for 8 months, sold it 2 days ago to buy a gently used NS Oscar... I think any HX/DB machine is a great upgrade from the Silvia for my just steam but better temp performance, the Silvia is still pretty roudy with a PID in my opinion. I also completely agree with the above post, when I used a heat exchanger I got a much finer shot, much more forgiving.. Can't wait to see how the Oscar does.

ripvanmd (original poster)

#7: Post by ripvanmd (original poster) »

Thanks folks. Going to look at it on Sunday. Other than having it preheated and bringing beans to pull a shot with, any other things I need to look at? They say that they've just replaced the pump and that it has been recently serviced at Wholelattelove in 2013.

Advertisement
homeburrero
Team HB

#8: Post by homeburrero replying to ripvanmd »

I'm not sure you need to look under the hood. The recent servicing by WLL, and a chat with the owner may be good enough. If you do, a small Phillips head screwdriver, plus a strong penlight (and inspection mirror if you have one) will let you pop the top and look inside for signs of leaks or corrosion. I don't think you would want to pull the side panels, which would require a 7mm socket.

I think you're looking at a winner. The advantage of driving it home in your car without packing and shipping risks is huge.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

russel

#9: Post by russel »

homeburrero wrote:The advantage of driving it home in your car without packing and shipping risks is huge.
+1

Prosumer gear does not take well to being dropped by your local carrier.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#10: Post by EspressoForge »

I would suggest you ask for the serial number and call up WLL to verify the service date and what was done. It's not that I would assume someone is lying...but in person deals are basically here's the cash and both parties walk away. No accountability. The guy is probably honest, but if it's a problem machine he wants to dump, you might get the same line from him.

Just my 2 cents worth of caution based on buying a LOT of used things online, not just coffee equipment. I also looked into buying some commercial coffee machines, and that's a whole other bag of worms, but mostly because they are usually not hooked up to power and can't be function tested, so since you plan to do that, I don't think there's much more you'd need other than to do a basic test and to verify the service history.