E61 HX or DB or SBDU?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TheJavaCup77

#1: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

I need some "idiot proof" E61 machine and the HX is very complicated.

I'll need info before upgrading to E61 and i can afford SBDU and HX only.

The single boilers are good too although i hate waiting to surf boiler temp between brew and steam.

So if i get a HX, the steam boiler is half full and when its hot enough for steaming, the pressure-stat should be 1.0-1.5 bar and it should read over 100 celsius (but i think its wrong because when water is under pressure its boiling point is different)

Then i let the lever on static for a long time and then let the brew position to flush water through the heat exchanger tube and the water surrounding the tube heats the water inside it.

Then when 8 ounces (i guess) is pulled out the grouphead. The heat exchanging tube is cooled and the water should be at brew temp like 95c (i think this is the ballpark)
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

jonr

#2: Post by jonr »

I'll suggest that a non E61 DB or even a good SBDU + a stovetop steamer might be an upgrade from an E61.

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

Reading your post was more frustrating and annoying for me than you make the creation of espresso sound.
My first thought is that making espresso is not for you. Regardless as to what machine you get, there are activities and techniques that will help you get the most out of it. I think you have been reading too much concerning the flushing to control temperature. It is certainly a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. The flush is simple, very simple, even without a thermometer mounted to the group. With a thermometer it becomes brainless to the point of:
1 - Turn on brew function
2 - Watch for a pre-determined displayed temperature
3 - Turn off brew function
4 - Make espresso.

If the hassle of the SBDU changeover from brew to steaming is a hassle, then getting s separate steamer is one idea. If having two machines to make a coffee beverage is a hassle, then get a HX machine which can do both simultaneously. If the flushing for temperature control is a problem, then forget espresso. Any espresso machine, when left to warm up for a sufficient period of time needs a flushing. If the water is kept exactly at the brew temperature then the brew water will be too cool.

I would suggest finding another home barista with a HX or DB machine and visiting them tfor a demonstration of how the machine work. No machine needs to have 8 ounces of water flushed though to gain a specific temperature if it has been properly set up.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Beenbag

#4: Post by Beenbag »

jonr wrote:I'll suggest that a non E61 DB or even a good SBDU + a stovetop steamer might be an upgrade from an E61.
That sounds like a comment from someone who has no experience of a reasonable E61 HX m/c !

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

TheJavaCup77 wrote:I need some "idiot proof" E61 machine and the HX is very complicated.
Making espresso is an acquired skill and is not "idiot proof" to start out (it is eventually -- even I can do it). If you want to make drinkable espresso, it isn't hard with an HX, a good grinder and good, fresh coffee. Machines with the E61 brew group are generally pretty good. No worries there. But you'll need to roll up your sleeves and start your learning curve. The journey is a large part of the enjoyment of this hobby.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Dooglas

#6: Post by Dooglas »

TheJavaCup77 wrote:I need some "idiot proof" E61 machine and the HX is very complicated.
I'll need info before upgrading to E61 and i can afford SBDU and HX only.
As others have commented, you are making the use of an HX machine far too complicated. Yes, making espresso requires some skill and some practice - but we are all doing it after all. If you want milk drinks, I don't know why you would choose a SBDU machine. That is what I call complicated. The one exception is the Silvano, which you might consider. Not sure why you drew a line through DB though. If you want everything to be by the numbers, then a DB w/PID might be for you. Sure they are a little more (on the average) than an HX, but these days not so much. Any number of good ones can be had for under $2000. Go with what makes you happy - and makes you good espresso :wink: .