E61 espresso machines vs La Marzocco Linea Mini?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
PhotoMax

#1: Post by PhotoMax »

I bought a new E61 machine about a week ago and so far I am not in love. I had several great shots but lots of channeling, spritzing, mess, etc, even though I did pretty much the same routine each time. (I have been using a Silvia for eight years). Now the brew boiler does not seem to do anything: very little coffee comes out, no crema, no movement on the pressure gauge, no pump sound. I did the backflush thing and still no go. The milk wand and hot water wand work just fine though. This all might be a bad case of newbie-itus but I am frustrated and disappointed thus far. I have been a using a Rocky grinder but a new K30 should be here in about a week.

I am waiting to hear from the place I purchased this, but I am thinking I should try another machine. I wonder if the La Marzocco Linea Mini might be a better option for me?

SonVolt

#2: Post by SonVolt »

No it won't be a better option unless you want to steam milk quicker or serve more drinks per hour. Your machine class is fine - it's either defective or you haven't learned how to properly use it yet. Very rarely in my experience does a professional barista produce a better shot on a commercial La Marzocco (or any other machine) than I can at home with my E61.

Bikeminded

#3: Post by Bikeminded »

The Rocky is an issue, speaking from my own experiences.
Was my worst purchase on my espresso equipment buying history. Sold it and bought an HG1.

PhotoMax (original poster)

#4: Post by PhotoMax (original poster) »

Thanks.

I guess the next step is to determine if this is my operator error or if there is some issue with the machine. I turned it off and left it for a couple of hours. I then turned it back on, let it warm up for 45 minutes but I am getting next to nothing out of the coffee boiler. No sound, no pressure gauge movement and only a tiny dribble of water. I have stopped using coffee as I have gone through a whole hopper's worth in my Rocky with no actual drink worth touching.

nickw

#5: Post by nickw »

It sounds like you have two problems:
- the pump isn't engaging
- your having extraction problems.

Re pump and machine:
This is the first thing to get sorted. It sounds like the pump isn't engaging. I'd start with checking the connections on everything (unplug the machine and let it cool when you do this). You've also contacted the dealer, you can also wait to hear what they say.

If you want a Linea Mini for capacity, brand, looks, etc - and nothing wrong with that :) - you could take the opportunity to upgrade. But the extraction problems you're having will probably be on both. If anything LM's short PI will show even more problems with your routine. The normal 5-7 second ramp on an e61 is quite forgiving.

Re extraction problems:
I'd start by looking at your routine and the coffee:
- Is the coffee to fresh, or too told?
- Are you using stock baskets (or use something like a VST on both)?
- How about dose size and headroom on the new machine?
- How are you loading the basket? From a doser, the grinder chute, or bowl, etc..
- Could try WDT
- etc..
Sounds like you're having a few problems there. The K30 will be a nice upgrade and may fix some of the problems. The grinder will change things again, but until you have a working machine, you can't start working on your routine yet. Once you get a working machine again. I'd start by changing one variable at a time.

Cheers!

Bikeminded

#6: Post by Bikeminded »

Yeah, I should have read closer. You may have another issue there as well.

h3yn0w

#7: Post by h3yn0w »

E61 is generally a very forgiving setup. Don't see how a linea would help with a channeling issue.

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Bill33525 »

Sounds like your pump is not turning on. There is a switch actuated by the brew lever when the lever is moved up to the brew position. Do you see the big black button near the actuator cam? When you have the lever in the brew position see if you can push the pump actuator switch in to start the pump.

canuckcoffeeguy

#9: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Can you post a video, with sound, of your machine in action?

That could help us diagnose.

PhotoMax (original poster)

#10: Post by PhotoMax (original poster) »

I have turned it off and unplugged it. I sent a voicemail and email to the dealer. Talking to him is the logical next step. This machine was a store demo.

Hopefully it is something simple like me being stupid (quite possible :D) or something simple with the machine. If it does have to be returned then I am sort of back to the drawing board as to which machine to buy...