Driving me nuts... Olympia Cremina or Londinium?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jmarcus

#1: Post by jmarcus »

NYC apartment
Wife thinks I'm nuts for spending the money on either really, but makes the Cremina harder to justify
Prefer not to use a spring lever machine.
Cremina will last forever and is simple
Londinium marketing material seems compelling

Any thoughts?

kwantfm

#2: Post by kwantfm »

Do you need to steam milk? How about a Strietman ES3... which is a lot cheaper than a Cremina and also has high quality construction.
LMWDP #602

Advertisement
day

#3: Post by day »

EDIT: wasnt thinking for a minute. I have never really seen how one could justify the price on the Olympia, used and new. Olympia just seems way overpriced imo, though true it is beautiful, and has a wonderful history. But I have never used either. Can you elaborate on what is causing you to toss and turn between the two?

To me the Londinium is hands down the superior machine from what I have read and seen, the Cremina seems to me to be a bit too close to the Pavoni, which can be had soooo cheap used (though I am sure not as pleasurable to use as a Cremina) that it becomes silly to spend so much in my mind.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

jmarcus (original poster)

#4: Post by jmarcus (original poster) »

@kwantfm Yes I need to steam milk, thanks for the reply.

@day
Yes the Cremina is over priced, but I just feel like I'm always going to want the Cremina, which might be my answer. What machines are purely hand lever, not spring loaded? To the best of my knowledge there is the La Pavoni and I guess I have read some comparisons that it just doesn't compare to the Cremina.

day

#5: Post by day replying to jmarcus »

There are quite a few, but I would say buy used for Cremina...3500? yikes, I wont even make any jokes about manufacturing origins here, like "must be made in Taiwan" or something, I will restrain. But seriously, you could get a used Cremina and a Londinium for that price couldnt you? Or maybe you were already looking at used?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

forbeskm

#6: Post by forbeskm »

Haven't used a Londinium but I have a 83 Cremina and love it.

Cremina Advantages

A small boiler that heats up really fast. No need to leave turned on.
The boiler is small but not really, steams a lot of milk drinks.
Pressurestat is nice over a 74 La Pavoni, also it has an enclosed boiler.
Small counter space footprint
Removable drip tray
Fantastic espresso, mine is paired with a Pharos
Simple not much to break, easy to get seals/parts Orphan Espresso (lots of videos), Cerini Coffee

Used would be my recommendation but I like old machines. Even on the high end this year they are not surpassing 1300, check the sold listings on eBay. The for sale section here has them come up occasionally if I recall correctly.

forbeskm

#7: Post by forbeskm »

jmarcus wrote:@kwantfm Yes I need to steam milk, thanks for the reply.

@day
Yes the Cremina is over priced, but I just feel like I'm always going to want the Cremina, which might be my answer. What machines are purely hand lever, not spring loaded? To the best of my knowledge there is the La Pavoni and I guess I have read some comparisons that it just doesn't compare to the Cremina.
I have a lot of Pavoni's and love them as much as my Cremina . Both have there advantages but this thread is not on LaPavoni's :)

Straight espresso you have the Caravel which from what I have read is fantastic for espresso
also Faema Famina, La Cara, La Graziella, La Pavoni and I think a few others.

Advertisement
samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by samuellaw178 »

Agreed with all the above. They're quite different in category.

If you are going used, Olympia. New Londinium (if it is the only other option you're considering).

Marcelnl

#9: Post by Marcelnl »

Plus one on the caravel or faemina and others from those days, having a design piece may help getting the waf up (wife acceptance factor) perhaps have another look at the line up of vintage machines? Btw. A Faemina can steam like a beast too...
I was in the market for a londinium or a strega but the design of the faemina won me over instantly and I haven't looked back.
LMWDP #483

summer

#10: Post by summer »

+1 on Cremina. I have a 2011 model, and its the best investment I ever made. I have a Caravel and a vintage Pavoni too, and had 2 Faeminas - great machines, but the Cremina takes the prize for me. Its just brilliant all way around.

I would think that the Londinium should be chosen if you want to use it to make coffee at a party - it should be better making a lot of cups in a row, better workflow with the springaction. But thats about the only thing I can come to think of.