Drip cones for a 3 cone brew bar

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Burner0000

#1: Post by Burner0000 »

I am going to build 2, 3 cone pour over bars this weekend but I can't decide on the drippers to use. I have been using an RSVP collapsible cone for a long time. It's a pretty fast brewer considering it has 5 holes but it's too big for the bar. I feel the Hario plastic cones would be best because I have cats that like to jump up on things every once in a while and if they were to say knock it over I won't have 3 broken drippers on my hands. So plastic Hario's sound like a safe bet but I love the look of the Beehouse drippers. I know they are also 2 hole drippers. Does anyone have hands on with either?

1. How breakable are the Hario's (Plasticm Glass Ceramic) as well as the Beehouse's?
2. I'd like to keep brew time under 2 min (per 12 oz) which I can with the RSVP. How fast or slow are the Beehouse drippers?
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by dumpshot »

I am a big fan if the stainless steel Kalita Wave drippers. Unbreakable, but not too sure about brewing anything tasty under 2 minutes. I am more in the 3 minute range for a 12 oz. cup. YMMV.

Pete
LMWDP #484

Burner0000 (original poster)

#3: Post by Burner0000 (original poster) »

I'd like to stay with clear or ceramic for looks. With the brew time of 2 min I find that if I am using a continuous pour I can finish at or under 2 min. So far I am having a lot of trouble finding Beehouse filters in Canada.. If they use regular #2 filters then that will automatically confirm my decision on buying them. Melitta sells the bamboo filters which are amazing! No papery taste even when starting a brew dry.

UPDATE: It looks like they do use the #2-4 cone filters that I am currently using. I am leaning towards bee house but I still gotta find a place to buy them. I's still appreciate any feedback. :)

[creative nickname]

#4: Post by [creative nickname] »

I haven't hit my clear plastic Hario v60 cone with a sledgehammer or anything, but in ordinary use (including drops on the floor and such) it is basically indestructible. Flow is very fast so that should work well for your goal of a 2-minute brew time (although I tend to like the taste better with a slower pulse pour).

I haven't used the Beehouse dripper, but anything ceramic will be more fragile than a plastic v60. I do agree that it looks gorgeous though.

Personally I'd avoid anything metal because it will require a lot of pre-heating in order to avoid sucking all the heat out of your brew.

These days I mostly use the Bonavita Immersion Filtercone, which gives you the ease of use and taste profile of a Clever dripper, but in a stand-friendly format. It is porcelain, so more fragile than a v60, and it is uglier looking than a Beehouse. It beats them both on both taste and ease-of-use, in my opinion.
LMWDP #435

Burner0000 (original poster)

#5: Post by Burner0000 (original poster) »

I looked at the Clever but I want something that's one solid piece. I also want to master my pouring technique because these drippers are moving into a commercial setting this year. I found the Bee house's for $15 here in Ontario which beats the price of the Hario's which are double. I have also seen lot's of other cafe's posting on the net using bee houses for commercial pourover. More than hario's. I'm gonna build first and decide once they are finished. I've decided to build 2, 2 cone pourover bars because I have enough wood for 2, 2 cones with one piece of wood. If I build one 3 cone I waste expensive wood. Also need to decide on Maple or Oak. My cart is butcher block wood but I have no idea which that is...
If I don't hear anything negative about the Bee houses I'll pull the trigger on them in a few days.