Double boiler espresso machine selection advice please. - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Jasonmck

#11: Post by Jasonmck »

Hey,

If there is nothing local I'd recommend
http://www.espressotec.com
and
http://www.espressoplanet.com/

Evilsports (original poster)

#12: Post by Evilsports (original poster) replying to Jasonmck »

Thanks Jason. That espressotec store is where my father buys all of his toys so it was already on my radar. I hadn't seen the second place yet though.

Jasonmck

#13: Post by Jasonmck »

Ya there are local for me so that is where I got my R58. Good bunch or guys.

Espresso Planet I've been to a few times and they are solid people too.
They where the ones that advised me to buy local. So basically killing a sale for themselves to ensure I'd be happy

#14: Post by Evilsports (original poster) »

Now I'm irritated. I found a semi-local retailer and talked to the owner this morning. I was ready to make the 10 hr return trip with the sole intention of picking up a La Morzocco GS3 and a Mazzer Robur. (My work often takes me close to his location which is why I consider it to be semi-local.)

We got talking price and the gentleman wanted to charge me $300 MORE than the advertised price on his website! When I pointed it out, the best he could do was to tell me that there was no way he could sell it for the advertised price, and that he needed to update his website.

Jeepers. I couldn't do it. Even at $300 more than his advertised price it was a fair deal, but I just couldn't stomach the idea of handing $10k over to somebody who wouldn't honor his own advertisement.

Back to the drawing board I suppose.

drgary
Team HB

#15: Post by drgary »

Lovely.

Maybe someone will match his advertised price if you jump on it before he reneges online too.

BTW why do you need a Robur for home use when you can get the same grind quality in a Compak commercial grinder for much less? Making that switch will save you lots more than $300.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#16: Post by Evilsports (original poster) »

The Robur was a begrudged selection. I'd prefer the Compak or even K30 but the only high end conical grinder his store carried was the Mazzer line. I knew I was paying more than I had to but I was ok with it due to the fact that I would have been able to pick it up and start pulling shots by tomorrow night.

Everything is back on the table now. :)

Jasonmck

#17: Post by Jasonmck »

that's too bad, Sorry to hear of our issues.

I guess this opens you up to any thing now that local is not an option (look'n at the bright side)

iginfect

#18: Post by iginfect »

The advantage of local is when, not if, there are problems, you have someone to bring the machine to for service. Your semilocal doesn't seem to fill the bill.

Marvin

#19: Post by Evilsports (original poster) replying to iginfect »

As for warranty work, I'm honestly closer to the retailer than I am to home most of the time, on account of my job. Getting the machine in for repairs isn't that much of a concern.

The fellow I was dealing with yesterday contacted me last night and apologized for the "mix up". We exchanged a few more emails this morning with me not really wanting to have much to do with it, but he did seem to legitimately regret the pricing ordeal. He ended up offering me a discounted price on the GS3 (anywhere from $500 to $1100 less than I would be able to get it from anywhere else I'd contacted), along with some discounted accessories and an extra year of parts warranty for no extra charge. I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger so I'm off to pick it up tomorrow.

We've got a Colombian exchange student living with us so I figured worst case scenario I'll bring him to the science center in Edmonton and make a day out of it.

Now to order a grinder and I'll be off to the races!

Defleshed

#20: Post by Defleshed »

I Recently moved to Calgary, and i can say I'm pretty sure that i know the exact retailer you're speaking of, as i myself am in the Market for a new machine, possibly a GS/3 and the advertised price is several Hundred less then then i was quoted locally, and the local price was a bit less then their "MSRP". I am still undecided on the purchase, i actually came online to create a thread to help me decide. Hope you Enjoy your GS/3!