Does anyone on this site like or use super autos - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
sweaner

#41: Post by sweaner »

I would consider a superauto for my office, if I thought they would be reliable enough. I don't have the time to use a real espresso machine/grinder there, and could "settle" for average espresso. I think with attention to the beans one could get reasonable shots.
Scott
LMWDP #248

weasel

#42: Post by weasel »

...and then there is the fact that what tastes like 'crap' to some, tastes quite fine or even good (gasp) to others (like me). Hmmm, use better beans?

Amazing that there are people who actually like espresso that wasn't brewed at the 'perfect temp', nor mixed with 'perfect microfoam', and from a lesser roaster! OMG, they're so damn dumb they don't know what they should and shouldn't like.

Not everyone thinks that a double from an artisan roasted bean is nirvana, much less that a pink grapefruit tinge in their espresso is a good thing.

There are a lot of people for whom it is not all about the coffee, first and foremost. Other factors apply, convenience, adaptability, milk, blah blah, etc.. I believe the OP wants something that is hassle free/simple and can quickly make a cappuccino or coffee. A super auto would fit his situation nicely I think.
sweaner wrote:I would consider a superauto for my office, if I thought they would be reliable enough. I don't have the time to use a real espresso machine/grinder there, and could "settle" for average espresso. I think with attention to the beans one could get reasonable shots.
Sweaner, check out super-autos at WS or SLT and ask about the warranty. I believe both stores are 'lifetime'. Reliability shouldn't be an issue. One woman here bought 4 or 5 (so far) for her company.

geoffbeier

#43: Post by geoffbeier »

weasel wrote:Sweaner, check out super-autos at WS or SLT and ask about the warranty. I believe both stores are 'lifetime'. Reliability shouldn't be an issue. One woman here bought 4 or 5 (so far) for her company.
:-( We were just at WS last weekend to buy a new mixer and noticed a sign on the register. According to the sign, their return policy is changing to 90 days as of 1 Feb 2010. This is consistent with the policy they now document here.

weasel

#44: Post by weasel »

Thanks Geoff, I had heard a rumor that the WS policy had changed, but wasn't sure. I would still ask if the 90 day warranty applies to their super autos. From what I read they could still have a warranty similar to 'lifetime'. It can't hurt to ask.

zin1953

#45: Post by zin1953 »

Two places where, as examples, I think super-autos are perfectly at home the perfect choice: company break rooms, where any number of employees will be operating the machine and it's too costly to "train" so many people; automobile service waiting rooms, where any number of customers can make themselves a lattè while waiting for the car to finish being serviced -- and it's obviously impossible to train them!

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

CRCasey

#46: Post by CRCasey »

With the little Magnificia Super Auto the whole power it up, wait a couple of minutes for heat up, press the button for coffee and you are done is somewhat true. But the problem is that cleaning the machine up is just a pain in the butt.

You have to power the machine off (the head assembly can only be removed and cleaned once the machine has done it's power down cycle) dump the puck bucket and the drip tray, rinse the head, wipe down the inside of the body, and clean the water feed/tamper/gasket assembly. If this were in an office break room or a dealership waiting area the cleanup would not get done in a timely or through manner and the machine would be dead in no time flat.

The plumbed in Automatic machine on the timer with the Mazzer is quicker to walk up to, get a shot, clean up and be on my way. Even if I rinse the PF basket out at the sink and do a quick brushing with the pallo brush and water backflush the screen clean. I can wipe the counter area down and be cleaned up in the time it takes the little Super Auto to do it's power off water cycle.

All I am saying is that if you want one of the little baby Super Auto machines to last beyond the 90 day warranty I can not see that the walk up, grab a cup and walk away method will ever work out.

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

weasel

#47: Post by weasel »

Try a Jura. You program it to come on and go off. Only dump/clean the tray every 10 or so drinks. Cleaning is programmed every 200 or so drinks and takes about 7 minutes.

Honestly just push a button and take your drink. Leave a cup underneath (optional) to catch rinse water when it goes off. Milk drink? Add about 90 sec to froth and put milk away and put froth spout in hot water.

These machines have actually held up well, just do the routine cleaning and use the water filter (therefore no descaling). In actual practice it works out well.

zin1953

#48: Post by zin1953 »

CRCasey wrote:If this were in an office break room or a dealership waiting area the cleanup would not get done in a timely or through manor (sic) and the machine would be dead in no time flat.
Well, not if they use a home model, true, but there are commercial super-autos that could fit the bill. Of course they might not be the answer either, but those were the machines to which I was referring.

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

selah

#49: Post by selah »

We have owned Saeco Incantos which automatically make espressos and have a steam wand...and most recently purchased a Jura Capresso S9.

One-touch machines are complicated things with many advantages and drawbacks.

The Saeco machines lasted less than a year and a half. Leaks, faulty lights, and the steaming section is slow. I mean sloooowwwww. We bought 2 because one was too slow. Both failed on us eventually.

We then went to a superautomatic, the top of the line Jura Capresso S9 One Touch. This thing can make espresso, latte, and cappuccino, all automatically. It was unlimited programmability, but suffers from one fatal flaw. It uses steam to siphon up milk, and in that process it can froth or steam-heat the milk. Problem: the steam is insufficient in volume to heat up cold milk. Both Jura Capresso and DeLonghi Gran Dama instructions advise about prewarming mugs, or letting the milk warm up, etc. Its all about physics and you'd be lucky to get 140degrees in the cup. We've fuddled with settings and valves and customer service and gone through 3 machines now under warranty. They just can't hit temperature. There's nothing the manufacturers can do.

CRCasey

#50: Post by CRCasey »

zin1953 wrote:Well, not if they use a home model, true, but there are commercial super-autos that could fit the bill. Of course they might not be the answer either, but those were the machines to which I was referring.

Cheers,
Jason
I totally agree with you Jason, this is not a apples to apples way to look at things. But still the maintenance will be a problem over time with out someone trained to walk that dog. Or more specifically one that has a glove and a bag. :roll:

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244