Does anyone have advice on the Vibiemme Junior HX V3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Nissle

#1: Post by Nissle »

So I've finally gotten down to two possible machines for my first espresso machine purchase. The Vibiemme Junior HX and the Bezzera BZ10. While I can find lots of information about the Bezzera can some please give me some advice on the Vibiemme, it is just for my wife and I, my wife likes the caps and I like espressos and caps. I will probably make about 6 drinks a day.

bettysnephew

#2: Post by bettysnephew »

I do not own the machine you are looking at but I do have a Vibiemme Domobar Super HX. It is a solid well constructed machine. Not fancy but does its job capably.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

Advertisement
Nissle (original poster)

#3: Post by Nissle (original poster) »

Thank you for your reply, may I ask how long you have had your machine.

bettysnephew

#4: Post by bettysnephew »

A bit over a year. Several other folks on this forum and the other one have had theirs for far longer so my suspicions regarding quality of parts/build seem to hold up. I would suggest a phone call and talking to the fine folks at 1st Line. Very knowledgeable and helped me make a choice without feeling pushed into it. I believe I saw you were in Canada so your actual supplier may be different but I would still contact 1st Line for info.
PS, I initially looked at the Junior also but have large hands and was afraid the compactness would be a possible issue.
LMWDP #586

canuckcoffeeguy

#5: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Nissle wrote:So I've finally gotten down to two possible machines for my first espresso machine purchase. The Vibiemme Junior HX and the Bezzera BZ10. While I can find lots of information about the Bezzera can some please give me some advice on the Vibiemme, it is just for my wife and I, my wife likes the caps and I like espressos and caps. I will probably make about 6 drinks a day.
Hi David and fellow Canuck. Since you're in Sutton, I strongly recommend that you visit one of the regional retailers to see equipment in person. Then you can play with the machines, ask questions etc. Idrinkcoffee is not too far for you, and neither is Espresso Planet. I purchased my Bezzera Magica, Compak K10 and Baratza Vario at idrinkcoffee. They have one of the largest, if not the largest, selection of coffee equipment in Canada.

My personal view is that buying local for expensive purchases is a big plus. No shipping back and forth if there are service issues or maintenance etc. I live a 20 min drive from idrinkcoffee and that's very convenient.

Also, you might want to look at a grinder upgrade if you're buying a prosumer espresso machine. GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER is what we say for good reason!

Nissle (original poster)

#6: Post by Nissle (original poster) »

bettysnephew wrote:A bit over a year. Several other folks on this forum and the other one have had theirs for far longer so my suspicions regarding quality of parts/build seem to hold up. I would suggest a phone call and talking to the fine folks at 1st Line. Very knowledgeable and helped me make a choice without feeling pushed into it. I believe I saw you were in Canada so your actual supplier may be different but I would still contact 1st Line for info.
PS, I initially looked at the Junior also but have large hands and was afraid the compactness would be a possible issue.
Hello David ,
Thank you for your input on the VB wow that's some machine you've got.
Maybe I'll take your advice and call 1st line and see what advice they have.
I really just want as good of a quality machine that I can afford but there are so many man it's mind boggling.

Nissle (original poster)

#7: Post by Nissle (original poster) »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:Hi David and fellow Canuck. Since you're in Sutton, I strongly recommend that you visit one of the regional retailers to see equipment in person. Then you can play with the machines, ask questions etc. Idrinkcoffee is not too far for you, and neither is Espresso Planet. I purchased my Bezzera Magica, Compak K10 and Baratza Vario at idrinkcoffee. They have one of the largest, if not the largest, selection of coffee equipment in Canada.

My personal view is that buying local for expensive purchases is a big plus. No shipping back and forth if there are service issues or maintenance etc. I live a 20 min drive from idrinkcoffee and that's very convenient.

Also, you might want to look at a grinder upgrade if you're buying a prosumer espresso machine. GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER is what we say for good reason!
Hi Ryan, fold man winter is on its way back EH.
I have been to espresso planet and looked at the quick mill silvano and the brevilles. Idrinkcoffee I will go to today as I'm on vacation it's 120 Kls from where I live. I've been to Anthony's espresso supplies in Woodbridge and looked at the Bezzera BZ10 and I liked that machine. Im trying to find out if they have the new Bz10 model, Idrinkcoffee has it.they also have a Bazzera Matica with the E61 brew head. Also in Woodbridge I've been to Northwestern kitchen store where they sell La pavoni and some ECM machines. They have an ECM machanika IV demo model on sale for $1800, if can get it cheaper I might go for it but would it be wise to buy a demo who knows how much it's been used ?.
Got to go before the the snow flys ha ha h aha.

Advertisement
bettysnephew

#8: Post by bettysnephew »

@Nissle I did a lot of research before purchasing and learned Vibiemme was an originator of the E61 group and they had a very good reliability rating. Also most of the underhood parts of many of the machines in this class are pretty much from the same manufacturers. I was an industrial maintenance mechanic in the food industry and reliability and user serviceability were high on my list as I am capable of doing my own maintenance and repairs. I liked the layout inside and the quality of components. The Domobar seemed to fit in this niche very well. I know there are many very expensive specialized machines that will probably make a bit better espresso but there is also the issue of diminishing returns of cost vs. capability. IE, I could have spent a LOT more on the machine but the flavor gains would be incrementally lost to my unlearned palate. My expectation is a good shot pretty much every time and one of the "god shots" when the stars align. My equipment makes a better drink than I can purchase anywhere in my town, not saying that Iowa is a coffee mecca of any sort, but I have had drinks at a few of the better places in large cities that are acclaimed. :) I have also found that the grinder will make more difference than the machine. The Mazzer Major I bought to replace my Preciso is a very good grinder and does a good job, but the Kafatek Monolith Conical is a great grinder and does an even better job. I am not belittling the M M in any way, the K M C just performs the same duties with more finesse and opens up some flavors I hadn't noticed before in my coffee. I have the best of both worlds, a large flat burr and a large conical. I single dose so the Kafatek just works a bit easier for me. When I purchased the M M, the Kafatek was still on the drawing board so at that time not an option.
Good wishes on your quest.
LMWDP #586

onthego

#9: Post by onthego »

If you are set on HX design take the machine with the larger boiler, in this case the Bezzera. If you are not locked into HX, take a look at the Profitec Pro 300 double boiler which has been receiving favorable reviews on this site. The advice to buy from a local retailer is a good one if you are within driving distance.

Ed

Nissle (original poster)

#10: Post by Nissle (original poster) »

Thank you all for your very knowledgable inputs.
But here's the thing!!, I went to a large espresso machine retailer west of Toronto today in a town Milton. I phoned ahead of time and I stated that I was interested in The Bezzera BZ10 or perhaps machines around or just above that price range. I also stated that the reason I was calling was to give them a heads up so that they could have some machines up to proper operating temperature when I got there. Any way I get to the store and told the sales person that I had phoned ahead and was interested in the Bezzera BZ10, well she had no idea I was coming and just then went to switch on the Bezzera plus a Rocket and a Profitec pro 500. My point is now I had to wait for these machines to warm up or maybe not warm up enough because the espressos I was given from all the machines did not seem hot enough to me, so after a 80 mile drive I was very disappointed. The coffee I was given from all these machine was nowhere near as hot as i get from my Bonavita drip coffee maker yet the temp is supposed be about the same in both types of coffee makers 194 to 200 degrees. I had previously been to two other stores and was given nice hot espresso, so what's gives.

So I thought as I'd come so far the least I could do was see what kind of a deal I could get and the owner was very helpful and would give a good price in the Proditec Pro 500. Seems like a nice machine and more pricey than the Bezzera but because of the tempeture issues I backed out. By the way when the Bezzera was turned it would not work so the sales lady then switched on the Magica but again the coffee seemed under the temperature that it should be. So we're these machines just not switched on for as long as they should be as I was in the store for about 30 mins.

I was interested in the Profitec pro 300 but had counted it out because of the lack of a brew pressure gauge, I also thought the boilers may be too small.
I'm thinking I may go back and purchase the Profitec pro 500 tomorrow but I am worried about tempeture issues as stated.
Can some one please enlighten me