Deciding on La Marzocco Linea Mini, GS3, or used two group GB5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
charlesaf3

#1: Post by charlesaf3 »

Any followup on the La Marzocco Linea Mini Review after another 4 months have passed?

I'm on the fence between Linea Mini, GS3, and used 2 group GB 5. I care about it being forgiving, as I'm not a pro, but I have been pulling shots for 15 years now and only use bottomless portafilters to keep me honest, so I'm in decent control of channeling.

Been thinking about La Marzocco since I was originally part of the GS3 wait list debacle. Probably ready to pull the trigger, but can't really tell the difference between Gs3 and Linea Mini? Are the bells and whistles given up by the linea meaningful, or not?

And is the Linea mini basically equal in all meaningful respects to a commercial machine (meaning on a 2 lattes a day or so basis). (flavor/shot/steaming wise).

I'm looking for a "last" machine. I plan on plumbing it in. I don't care about wiring 220 etc. etc. as I own a construction company and that stuff is really cheap for me.

So I'm also thinking used 2 group GB5 - downside is counter space...

Thanks in advance.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Sorry, the research phase is over since both Chris and I have returned the Linea Mini loaners:
malachi wrote:One note: I want to thank Dan for inviting me back to write this review, and Scott Callender from La Marzocco for agreeing to provide the machine to me for this. And I want to thank all the mods here who provided input, advice and feedback on my drafts throughout the process. Y'all rule. Thanks. It's been a great experience.
I plan on publishing a shortform version of Chris' review for easy perusal, but his conclusion is clear:
malachi wrote:This is a barista's espresso machine. If you're a barista, first and foremost, I'm going to predict you're likely to love it.
I agree with him.
Dan Kehn

Compass Coffee

#3: Post by Compass Coffee »

Personally between those choices I'd get a GS3 MP with Strada Mod to enable pressure profiling. If have no intention of ever exploring pressure profiling then it would be Linea Mini. GB5 2gr for home use, no.
Mike McGinness

Compass Coffee

#4: Post by Compass Coffee »

Oh and regardless which would definitely budget upgrading from Mazzer Mini.
Mike McGinness

Compass Coffee

#5: Post by Compass Coffee replying to Compass Coffee »

Oops missed you also have Cimbali Hybrid..
Mike McGinness

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Moxiechef »

If you like to play & experiment & enjoy the manual process of a paddle, GS/3 MP w/ Strada mod.

If you just want consistently great espresso and milk, Mini.

If you have a lot of space, a lot of electricity and make beverages for your entire neighborhood multiple times a day, GB5.

charlesaf3 (original poster)

#7: Post by charlesaf3 (original poster) »

Thanks all.

Unfortunately, it's still pretty fuzzy for me. I've read all the stuff I've found, and haven't really found a good comparison between the GS3 and the Linea. Calling the linea a Barista's machine is moderately helpful, but I'm not sure I'm a barista - rather an enthusiastic amateur who likes coffee, and wants to do a final upgrade.

Is the GS3 really worth several thousand dollars more than the Linea? Everything I've read seems to say they are equally good.. If I don't care about the digital readout, as the knob doesn't bother me, what am I giving up by not getting a GS3? (ex strada mod). I know the pre-infusion is different, but is it actually going to matter to me in the cup? Or is the linea more prone to channeling? I pull everything naked to keep me honest...

I'm also unable to get micro foam right to where I want it on the vivaldi, probably the no-burn wand... But it seems like any Marzocco will solve that, from what I've read?

I'll be upgrading the cimbali hybrid too, but that's a separate issue.

charlesaf3 (original poster)

#8: Post by charlesaf3 (original poster) »

Per my other posts, I'm in the market for me "final" espresso machine. I've been thinking about the GS 3 since the ill fated wait list...

Thing is, at this point it's pretty close to the price of a used GB5. If I don't care about size, power, or plumbing (actually, I want to plumb), and I'm not going to move the machine around, which one should I get and why?

Put another way, what are the downsides of a used GB 5 or cafe machine as compared to a home/catering machine aside from the above?

Thanks

thepilgrimsdream

#9: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

If you are willing to consider a used GB5, why not as used GS3? This will also afford you money towards another grinder, like an EK, Peak or Robur or something.

The GB5 is solid, but are you willing to have 220v running constantly in your kitchen? A GB5 Boiler will cost much more to replace than a GS3 I'm pretty sure....

Beaniac

#10: Post by Beaniac »

I dont want to offend you, but if you have been making milk drinks daily for the last 15 years and still can't make microfoam on a prosumer machine, a LA marzocco is not going to solve this for you. The extra power of a true commercial steamer may only make this harder to do, that's a matter of technique not equipment.

As for your choice, granted you're other thread on the same subject you already ruled out the lines mini?? Choosing between a gs3 and gb5 comes down to usage and the gs3 should be preferred in ANY home and even most small business setting.