Decide between Bezzera Strega, Elektra T1, Bosco

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
trky

#1: Post by trky »

I am new to HB and I need some advice. I am currently trying to decide between Strega, Elektra T1 and a Bosco...My coffee use is 1 espresso or latte in the morning before work then about 20 lattes on the weekend for various friends who pop over for coffee. I am not looking to change beans much. Just looking for a machine which in the morning before work does not require too much preparation/time to get the right temp in the group or where I have to pull a few shots to get a good shot. I would have the machine on a timer or on all the time so the machine would be idle for a while until I get to the first shot in the morning.

I have tried shots from the strega and T1 with the same grinder and really like the shots from both. Strega to me seems smoother (less bitter/bold) although with less body then the T1. I have not tried the bosco.

I am curious from anyones experience if folks have a view on prep time and ability to support a few more shots/lattes on the weekend between the strega and T1 as well as any view on the Bosco? The strega got me interested in Levers and I dont know if the Strega being a hybrid is typical of the shots you can get from levers in general?

Thanks
Brian.

Possepat

#2: Post by Possepat »

Can't offer any experience on the options you mentioned. Maybe you have already considered the Londinium I, if not here is the video. I'm awaiting delivery of mine currently. Heard great things about the shot quality from the Strega.

http://londiniumespresso.com/blogs/lond ... resso-blog
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365

gj91

#3: Post by gj91 »

Bosco.

boar_d_laze

#4: Post by boar_d_laze »

My 2.5L machine does okay with four, reasonably patient latte drinkers, but becomes an exercise in time and personality management for a larger bunch. Doable, but... If parties are a priority, you want a 5L boiler, at least.

The Strega and Londinium I are nice machines but at 2L and 2.3L respectively do not have near enough boiler capacity for the kind of entertaining you do on the weekends.

The Elektra T1 has a big enough boiler at 6L, and it's a great machine. There are other single group HXs which would suit but they cost more and don't do better. If it were me in your circumstances, I'd go for the Elektra. But it isn't me it's you, and you seem more interested in a lever.

The Bosco Sorrento and -- for that matter -- the Posillipo are also 6L, and have the capacity; but I've never used a Bosco and defer to those who have. Another lever I haven't tried, but hear is worth considering, is the Izzo Pompeii with a 5L boiler. Ditto on the deference. Why not pick up the phone and talk to Greg at OE and Chris at Chris?

Good luck,
BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

The critical path on the Strega is not the steam, but the group. A normal lever group has about half the throughput of a pump group (1 shot every 90 seconds, as opposed to every 45 seconds); while the Strega's is about five to ten seconds slower, due to the longer preinfusion time. If you do lots of entertaining and want a lever, you will need a two group machine minimum.

You need to be careful when you anticipate traffic at parties. I've done a bunch of parties for coffee lovers, and the Strega always gets more traffic than the other available machines. It is fast and fuss free compared to domestic levers, people enjoy the unusual taste of lever shots, and are willing to come one at a time. But at parties for regular people, groups of three to five conversing people will come up and want their lattes at the same time. For something like this, I'd be looking for two pump groups minimum.
Jim Schulman

wildbwilson

#6: Post by wildbwilson »

I've used the Strega with up to 15 guests and had no problem churrning out the cappas though it was a little slower than a pump machine.
As another option --I've heard a word that the new Quick Mill Leva may be available before christmas.
It comes with a 4 liter boiler but is direct plumbed if that is a concern.

-Ian

Londinium Espresso

#7: Post by Londinium Espresso »

Hey Rich,

Take us through step by step why a 2.3L boiler isn't big enough for this guy's demands, especially if he ordered it with a 2850W element as many North American customers are, and even if he takes a 1400W what machines it is beaten by on a KW/L measure

Tell us about the warm up times of big boiler machines too

Just curious because if you are right we have screwed up royally and face almost certain ruin

Reiss.

peacecup

#8: Post by peacecup »

1. the OP said 20 lattes on the weekend. Not 20 lattes in 20 minutes.
2. 1 liter =1000 ml. 1 espresso = < 50ml. Even with cooling flushes a guess a 2-liter boiler is good for 10 doubles?
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

trky (original poster)

#9: Post by trky (original poster) »

Thanks for all the responses. I am looking for a larger boiler size based on my experience with 1400watt 15amp machines both HX and DB. I want to steam and brew at the same time and I find with the HX there is not enough power to keep the steam at a good temp while brewing. I find the steam temp drops off too quickly. Same with a DB since I only had a 15amp version I found the same result I could not get both heating elements to work at the same time hence my steam power would drop off too quickly as priority was given to brew boiler. So my rational is getting a larger boiler would mean longer steaming time at a decent heat. I am curious if this would apply to lever machines as well with smaller boilers when brewing and steaming at the same time. In my view the Elektra T1 would totally suite my needs but I have to say the taste profile I had form a Strega is leading met to levers....

Lwowiak

#10: Post by Lwowiak »

I have a Bosco, and regularly entertain. The speed with which you can produce milk based drinks depends on your organization skills and workflow. Depending on the preference of my guests, I will either split a double shot into two cups, or use it for one. I have three group handles, and use a naked one for espresso and the double spout for making two "weaker" coffees at once. Steaming milk is a breeze, and the jugs I use hold enough milk for two drinks. I have never had to wait for the machine.
Recovery speed of the boiler has never been an issue. My daughters' have friends over all the time. They mainly drink hot chocolates and chai lattes. They can steam six jugs of milk (each holding 360ml) in a row without any loss of steam. Steaming 360ml of milk takes under 10 seconds to heat. My unit is a single group, 220V and 2000watts, 6L boiler.
The Bosco is handmade, and this is evident in the finish. I view it as part of the charm of the machine. If you can find the space for it, you will not be disappointed. The unit with the hand hammered copper body panels looks stunning.