Crossland CC1 vs. Nuova Simonelli Oscar vs. Quickmill Alexia

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
snolover

#1: Post by snolover »

Hello, I am deliberating for like 6 months for the espresso machine. (for home - myself and my husband)
We are mainly espresso lovers, myself espresso and husband americano, and occasionally have milk-based.
So I was searching for a while and these are three machines that I am considering.. (I know big price difference, but willing to pay if it is worth it...)

I like CC1 coz of its price, installed PID (don't care about large boiler..)
I like Oscar because it seems like doing everything just ok, easily. Since I do not really drink milk-based, I am a bit unsure about this model though...Also, Oscar does not have water wand
I like Quickmill Alexia (+PID) since everyone says the espresso it makes is heavenly.. but its a bit pricey, especially added w/ PID.

Is there anyone who have CC1, or any of these models? Or any advice about deciding will be super-helpful...
Thanks a lot!

stangdriverdoug

#2: Post by stangdriverdoug »

Hello,
I have owned the Crossland CC1 for almost 2 months now..... Have it teamed up with a Baratza Vario grinder. I've been really happy with it so far. I make mostly milk drinks and am able to steam milk and then pull the shot right away. It's pretty user friendly too. Hope this helps.

snolover (original poster)

#3: Post by snolover (original poster) »

Thanks so much for your reply! It is so helpful to hear from the person who actually uses the machine.
I am glad to hear that you are satisfied with CC1.
I heard that we need to wait about 30 min for the machine to be heated up. Is this your case as well or did you find it typically nasty...?
I guess, considering the money, CC1 seems to be the best choice for me so far.

stangdriverdoug

#4: Post by stangdriverdoug »

I would say you want to wait at least 20 min to warm up.... Also it's a good idea to keep the portafilter locked in so that warms up too. I have been really happy with the CC1 and the adjustments you can make with the PID are really nice..... You can really fine tune the machine. The only drawback is I wish it had a built in pressure gauge. It's definitely not a deal breaker though. BTW I don't know much about the Oscar but it looks really cool In red.

boar_d_laze

#5: Post by boar_d_laze »

You can handle warm up with many nearly all machines by putting them on an inexpensive timer. That way, they'll be fully warmed up when you get out of bed and you can have your first shot on the way to the shower instead of on the way out the door.

There are many good timers on the market.

We use this GE, $22, 7 day programmable power-strip/timer for our gear. It has eight outlets; four on the timer and four which are always on.

The only drawback is a programming quirk which expresses itself in two ways. If it's been completely powered down (and without the battery), it must fully cycle through a day before it will operate any programmed on/offs; and it can't be programmed to perform an on/off function on the same day as the programming itself. Otherwise, cheap, reliable (six years), perfect.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

DanoM

#6: Post by DanoM »

I have an Osar, and while I love the machine I would never recommend one be purchased new. They are a great bargain used, because you can usually find them for $600 in pristine condition and cheaper from there. They don't have all the shiny bits, so they don't carry value as well...
30-40 minute heat up times for the Oscar.
LMWDP #445

takeshi

#7: Post by takeshi »

snolover wrote:Or any advice about deciding will be super-helpful...
Grinder?

#8: Post by snolover (original poster) »

To stangdriverdoug
Thanks so much for the answer. I think 20 min is not bad at all for good espresso. :) I also love CC1's feature of PID. Yes pressure measurement would have been even greater, but well, good product for good price :)
Thanks again!!

#9: Post by snolover (original poster) »

To takeshi
Yeab!! Definitely! Thanks for your advice. I heard that CC1 is especially sensitive for a good grinder. I have not yet done much research yet (only so far off the top of my head Rancilio Rocket..something) but definitely I want to buy good grinder together. If you have any recommendation, I am more than willing to hear!!

#10: Post by snolover (original poster) »

To DanoM
Thanks so much for your reply. Very good to hear from actual user. Yes, I think if Oscar was a bit less expensive it would have been great! If I get to buy Oscar, I will look for a used one. :)