Crossland CC1 & Baratza Preciso ?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
joelipworth

#1: Post by joelipworth »

So I am looking to upgrade from my first espresso machine (Gaggia Coffee) which was more of an experiment that anything else as I got it cheap and had before that just stuck to pour over. Now I want to invest some money into a proper espresso setup.

The crossland from what I have read and seen performs above its price and the PID functions really entices me into getting one. Also I noticed Seattle coffee gear is currently doing a CC1 + Baratza Preciso for just under $1000, which works well for me as I don't have a proper grinder as of yet but I don't know if I need to spend more on the grinder.

I would just like to know your opinion on this machine as well as the grinder combination as I am kind of new to the world of espresso. I am obviously open to alternative suggestions of machines and grinder although I am a student paying for this with a summer job so nothing too extravagant

Burner0000

#2: Post by Burner0000 »

Both are great. I follow SCG and have done a ton of research on both. The Barazta grinders are great for the price point and the Preciso will definitely do the job as well as be able to grind for pour over. The CC1 is pretty much the Rancilio Silvia replacement in espresso machines under $1,000. I think it's a great setup package. If I lived in the U.S I would have got that package before finding my Silvia. They won't ship to Canada.. :( But I am very happy with the Silvia. The CC1 has all of the Silvia's strengths and none of its weaknesses.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

Santoku

#3: Post by Santoku »

I am in the same boat, upgrading from a Gaggia Carezza and modified Breville grinder. I was looking within an $800-$1200 budget, and after copious research, reading and agonizing got the CC1 v1.5 and Baratza Preciso combination in Canada from idrinkcoffee.com for just under $1000 (before taxes :cry: ). It literally just arrived the other day, but I have not had time to get everything set up. I think for the money, this is a good combination. I was also considering the Silvia and Rocky pairing, along with QuickMill and Lelit. While somewhat sacrilege, the Breville BES900XL Dual-Boiler would have been nice, but that ran at the top of my budget w/o a grinder upgrade :shock:

My one concern with the Crossland product was around long-term reliability, as well as long-term service, support and parts. It is more comforting going with a company that has been around for a long time, and that has a good stock of readily available parts, however the CC1 seems well built for reliable operation, and hopefully the company has a bright future ahead of it. Cheers !

Burner0000

#4: Post by Burner0000 »

Btw.. New CC1 2.0 software is available.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

Hungryellerfeller

#5: Post by Hungryellerfeller »

Hi Joe welcome,

Before you pull the trigger on the CC1 Preciso package this
[ http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/crossl ... er-package ] is a better deal. The Vario typically goes for $450 retail and $399 when bought together with a espresso machine. I don't have any experience with the Preciso but I own the Vario and its the next step up from the preciso. It offers more grind settings than you can use and if you read the reviews, it performs on the level of grinders double its price. Its not without its issues and nuances but for the money I don't know if you can find a better deal.

I also had the CC1 in my home before moving to a DB machine so heres my 2 cents. Its a great machine for the price and includes features usually found in machines costing much more. Its a step up from your gaggia but its not going to be like if you were going to a HX or DB. There are still wait times, minimal but you still have to wait 60-90 sec to go from steaming to pulling shots. For example with my normal routine I can steam milk pull 2 double shots in about 10 min including wait times.

Good luck in school and enjoy the new toys.

cmin

#6: Post by cmin »

Thats the combo I have, there isn't a better combo for the money unless you go used. Like said above, awesome machine and the Preciso is great as well, however like Jason mentioned try to go for the Vario package. The Vario is that much better for grinding and taste in the cup b/c of its ceramic flat burrs, even edges out grinders costing quite more money then it.

Intrepid510

#7: Post by Intrepid510 »

I would look at the refurbished breville dual boilers at Seattle coffee gear only 800 and perhaps a call and you can get the same deal.