Considering Rocket Cellini & Macap (or other?) grinder.

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ddd8704

#1: Post by ddd8704 »

Any opinions on these machines? I am thinking about the Rocket Cellini and not sure what grinder would go well with this.. Mini Mazzer, Macap, Compak. Any input on these is appreciated. Also, doser or doserless for the grinder? I am mostly making milk drinks mochas and will be a few per day, not any huge volumes at one time. Thanks!

boar_d_laze

#2: Post by boar_d_laze »

Dawn,

Congratulations on the increase in your budget since your last thread!

Rocket Cellini
There are quite a few e-61, HX machines clustered in the same price range as the Cellini -- and while there are some differences they're more like one another than not. The Cellini is a very good machine, but at around $2K there are a bunch of other equally good machines. You pickem.

So, yes the Cellini is a good choice, but...

I also think that in this day and age you should have good reason to prefer an HX over a PID controlled double boiler machine of similar quality. I do, but why do you?

Doser vs doserless
If you're going to single dose, chances are you don't want a doser. Otherwise the strongest argument for doserless is repetitive stress injury -- and you don't make enough coffee for that matter. There's another argument about old grounds in the doser "infecting" fresh grounds with staleness, but if you keep the doser clean, and consider the high percentage of new grounds to old, it's not a great argument. Or at least my palate isn't buying it.

My grinder has a doser, and it doesn't bother me a bit -- but I'm not proselytizing for a doser either. Bottom line: There is no "best," it's a matter of taste; everything else being equal you pay more for doserless (go figure); and the trend is towards doserless.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator