Considering a lever espresso machine with repaired frame

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
DanoM

#1: Post by DanoM »

I'm considering a machine that had a minor frame bend issue that is being addressed by the importer/vendor. (Quality vendor with great reputation here, so I'm not worried about the vendor.)

The machine is a lever with commercial group. Vendor will straighten the frame and give the machine a full test to make sure it's okay. Machine will likely have a discount of around 10% off of new, and it's never been used. I don't have pictures or details of the damage, but the vendor stated it was "a little damage sustained to the frame, but repairable".

Is there reason to be wary of purchasing a lever with a "straightened" frame like this? It's a lever and there is a bit of force exerted against the frame, so... Opinions?
LMWDP #445

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

I'd want to see photos of the damage & the repaired area before making a buying decision. It might be minor & in an area that wouldn't matter but how would you know? I would also expect more then 10% off a repaired machine unless the damage was indeed very minor.
LMWDP 267

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by uscfroadie replying to JohnB. »

Same here. On a $3k machine you are only looking at $300. If you have $2700 to spend, the extra $300 isn't a stretch. Also, if you ever decide to sell it, you need to take into account resale value. Personally, I'd spring the extra 10% for one that's never been damaged.
Merle

victoriacoffees

#4: Post by victoriacoffees »

As John mentioned, I'd like to know the area damaged and how this affected the shell. Hard to imagine frame damage but none to exterior. Not all lever frames are built alike but most are sturdy.

Is the discount off MAP, if so, that is pretty good. Margins on some of these machines is not very much.
John V.

sweaner

#5: Post by sweaner »

I would want to know how it happened as well.
Scott
LMWDP #248

DanoM (original poster)

#6: Post by DanoM (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know much other than there was some minor damage on the frame that the vendor can repair without need for a new frame. I assume it was very minor from a very reputable vendor.
Discount is off of the actual retail price, in this case about $2000-$200=$1800. (Or something along those lines.)

I'll likely pass on this machine. Levers can put alot of stress on the frame, and I'd rather not end up with a possible hairline crack that turns to a rust problem down the line. My concerns were along the same lines as the comments so far, but I figured I'd ask.

The vendor will have some new machines in a month or two, so I'll hold out until then.
LMWDP #445