Considering a lever espresso machine - your experience?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
CrabRangoon

#1: Post by CrabRangoon »

Apologies in advance if this is too wordy! I've only been into espresso for about 18 months now, but feel like I haven't yet found the machine I'm looking for. Tech/gadget cool-factor has never been part of my decision making when choosing a machine, only build quality / longevity, suiting my needs and fitting on my counter has been important.

I started with a Mypressi Twist, and I loved it. Sometimes, I even miss it. It was good enough to get me hooked on espresso, and I was consistent enough to produce a good-if-not-great shot. My wants and needs changed: I wanted the ability to steam milk, and I didn't enjoy preparing multiple shots at one time with the Twist. Enter the Silvia, much to my dismay. It ticked all boxes of doing what I want, barely fitting within my allotted space and fit in my budget - why not give it a try? I returned it and decided it just wasn't for me, and replaced it with a used Oscar that I feel I got a great deal on.

The Oscar has been a mostly great fit. I suppose it needs a valve or two replaced, as it doesn't play nice when left on for hours at a time, but it certainly makes my drinks in the morning and preps dairy whenever I need it (chai lattes, hot chocolate, etc). It is, however, not quite as perfectly consistent as my shots with the Twist. It's also a bit beefy on our counter, taking up a majority of my coffee-prep space and barely fitting under our cabinets (and that's with the rubber feet removed). I can only guess that replacing some valves / nuclei would slightly improve it's performance and hopefully it's consistency, but I just don't know. The machine was thoroughly cleaned & descaled upon purchase and is in excellent running order aside from blowing off a huge steam geyser after sitting idle for 60+ minutes.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. I can turn my Oscar into a light weekend project to ensure it's as tip-top as can be, and hope that I'm satisfied with it, or can instead explore the option of lever machines. Levers have always interested if not fascinated me, but I previously thought them impractical for someone so fresh to espresso technique to dive into. I'd also convinced myself that owning a vintage espresso machine was akin to owning an older model of vehicle, more of a passion project that was more form and less function. Now that I'm looking into it a little, maybe it would suit my needs quite nicely. I could be cheap and try out a La Pavoni EPC-8 before graduating to a "better" machine, or skip the intro and simply wait until I could pick up something more like the Olympia Cremina. Before I fall too far down the hole of window shopping and review reading, I just wanted to hear from other HB's who've perhaps been in the same position.

Cheers!

*edit: I should note that my daily use is pulling no more than 2-3 shots per day, and none of our guests ever take espresso drinks. The most I can imagine ever consuming daily is in the 2-4 range.
LMWDP #505

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Randy,

Do you like to pull the same or similar coffees or do you like to experiment with different coffees and roast levels? I ask this because it could determine whether you get a lever machine where you can vary temperature during a brew session, one you would need to tune between sessions, or one you can dial in and leave set up for similar coffees. Also you mention limited counter space. Do you have the overhead clearance for a tall lever? Are you open to something with a footprint as large as an Oscar, or do you want/need something smaller? And why lever rather than a pump machine upgrade over the Oscar? Also, what's your budget?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

Without the practicalities, I second the thought that owning a vintage lever is like an antique car...if it suits your needs and you have the patience to tinker with it (repair and maintenance is requiren every now and then) I' d say go for it!

(Have to add a warning that I'm biased, was looking for something like a Strega or a Londinium and bought a 54' Faema Faemina)
LMWDP #483

CrabRangoon (original poster)

#4: Post by CrabRangoon (original poster) »

Gary,

I am not a home roaster and since I don't quite burn through a bag of beans with my avg 2 shots per day, I can say I don't really experiment a lot. At the very least, I do not change up my espresso beans frequently. I'd love to get to the point of confidently pulling SO beans so my SO bags could double duty between espresso and pourover. I experiment with temperatures with my pourover and Aeropress plenty, but am not experienced or knowledgeable enough to control it with my espresso. Being able to adjust temperature would be nice, but I don't wish to need to adjust it each time.

If left in the upward position, a lever would be in the way of a cabinet. I assumed that when not-in-use, the lever could rest at a straight (90 degree?) or lowered height. If this is not true, then perhaps a lever isn't in the cards. All our kitchen counters have cabinets above them, so there is no open-air counter space for a lever to rest extended upward. The space between counter and cabinet is approx. 18".

As my budget for a machine is only in the $1200 range, I'm glad to say I'm comfortable shopping used machines. I just bought a Lido 2 and I'm not thrilled with the Vario I've been using for 6+ months now, so I may just upgrade my espresso grinder rather than my machine. For all I know, the grinder upgrade may very well change or prolong my happiness with the Oscar.
LMWDP #505

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

It's certainly worth fixing the Oscar even if you'll re-sell it. A spring lever is stored with the lever raised. A manual lever like La Pavoni or Olympua Cremina is stored with the lever down. The latter two can be temperature surfed and there's a lot written on that, especially if you attach a food thermometer to the group. Grinder upgrades help any machine.
Gary
LMWDP#308

[creative nickname]

#6: Post by [creative nickname] »

I'd consider getting a small manual lever, like a Pavoni or a Caravel, and seeing how you like it. Read these forums to get guidance on how to get the most out of these machines; used properly, they can match the best that can be made with expensive pump machines.

And I concur that upgrading your grinder will help, whether or not you decide to give levers a try.
LMWDP #435

CrabRangoon (original poster)

#7: Post by CrabRangoon (original poster) »

drgary wrote:A spring lever is stored with the lever raised. A manual lever like La Pavoni or Olympua Cremina is stored with the lever down. Grinder upgrades help any machine.
That's good news, as storing with the lever down would really suit my space. Sadly, the thought of upgrading to any specific make or model of grinder is a whole new can of worms and another thread.
[creative nickname] wrote:I'd consider getting a small manual lever, like a Pavoni or a Caravel, and seeing how you like it. And I concur that upgrading your grinder will help, whether or not you decide to give levers a try.
As the Vario never wowed me, I've always planned on (and constantly looked into) changing espresso grinders. Regarding a small manual lever, I'd hoped that starting this thread would net me some suggestions to specific models to consider. I'd love to give levers a try without sinking a whole $1000+ into the experiment. I can't say I'm familiar with different Caravel models, but the ones I picture when I see the name don't have a steam wand - which is a must for us, as my lady doesn't drink black coffee or straight espresso.
LMWDP #505

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

A manual lever espresso machine that also steams could be a La Pavoni Europiccola or Romantica. These also steam. Current functionality is very good. Build quality has declined over the years. The same functionality of machine but very high quality is an Olympia Express Cremina, and a used one since the new ones are way beyond your budget.

For a grinder, you've got a LIDO 2. The Orphan Espresso grinder specifically for espresso is the Pharos. With voodoodaddy mods (a catch cup, easily dialed grind setting floating bearing and pointer, aluminum bolt covers that hold alignment better, a gradated dial for the top) double the cost of that grinder. To ease the grinding process you may want the Pharos "dog" that holds it to a bench. An alternate hand grinder of that quality that's easier to turn and twice as expensive as the modded Pharos is the HG One. For electric grinders people like Mazzer Minis with Super Jolly burrs installed or a Mazzer Super Jolly. These won't grind quite as well as the hand grinders just mentioned but are very good and rock solid. The popular electric grinder with large burrs like the Pharos and HG One is the Compak K10 Pro Barista.
Gary
LMWDP#308

DanoM

#9: Post by DanoM »

Here's an idea.

Fix up the Oscar with as little money outlay as possible. Just make sure it's clean inside and out, and works properly. Put a new group seal on it and sell that along with your Vario (since you aren't thrilled with that). As a set, along with tamper and steaming pitcher on Craigslist sometimes you can get a good sale. Many people want to get into espresso, but don't want the hassle of buying all the parts. Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up, and people sometimes shop Craigslist - patience is key if you want to maximize your selling price.

You already have a Lido2 on order, and that should be able to grind fine enough to get started with a La Pavoni, and will probably work for a Cremina too. At least it would get you started. The sale of the Oscar will help pay for your lever machine and grinder. Cremina would be my personal preference, but the Millenium La Pavonis and the pre 1974 ones are reputed to be quite good. (My 1984 La Pavoni Pro is fine, but temperature control is a small issue on those years.)

I personally went from an Oscar that I repaired, then a La Pavoni in need of some care. Sold the Oscar with vario, Espro tamper, pitcher and a pound of coffee to get them started. I ordered a Bezzera Strega before selling the Oscar, and once the Oscar sold I found a great deal on a Compak K10 grinder. Love that K10 & Strega - little witch does espresso well. Frankly the La Pavoni just sits around feeling lonely under the counter and ignored, but it's good to have a solid backup machine.
LMWDP #445

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

The Strega of course is a tall spring lever that won't fit under your cabinets. You'll have to work fairly hard to grind espresso with the LIDO 2. The Pharos is three times faster and reveals more flavor layers. I have both and beta tested the LIDO 2.
Gary
LMWDP#308