Conical or flat burrs on mid-range grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
kaffealskaren

#1: Post by kaffealskaren »

Hi,

This is my first post in this forum, and I'm very exited about getting to learn more about espresso making! I especially like the fact that people are willing to get into the nitty gritty details, as I work in the exact same way!
I've been trying to search in this forum and on internet for the answer to my question, but have only found threads touching this subject. But if there's some thread which would be already discussing this subject, please re-direct me there!

As a bit of a background information, I've been using the setup of a Elektra Sixties along with a Mazzer mini (doserless) during the weekdays in the office where I work for about 1½ year now. And now, I'm tempted to buy my own setup to use at home.

I've been doing quite a lot of research, and finally decided on getting the Bezzera Strega espresso machine. But when it comes to the grinder, I'm completely clueless, and the more research I've done, the more confused I feel.

The main idea seems to be that conical grinders seems to deliver a better overall result. But then, it doesn't feel like something you can just apply universally for all grinders out there.

Keeping in mind that I would use the grinder for grinding espresso coffee, and therefore not needing the possibility of adjusting back and forth to press sized grounds: How do you guys reckon that I should think here?

I've found that the Bezzera BB005 seems to be a relatively cheap grinder with conical burrs for around 300€. So what should motivate me to buy a more expensive grinder using flat burrs, let's say the Mazzer Mini or a Quick Mill 090 M?

HoldTheOnions

#2: Post by HoldTheOnions »

Not best person to answer, but no one else commenting so here goes, most people regard 48mm conicals as pretty good and few reviews I've read on BB005 are good, but they are very few. Never used either, but educated guess that neither the mazzer or quickmill would be better in terms of flavor. Mazzer does have better build. I don't know anything about quickmill. I'm thinkin most people tell you Strega needs better than anything you just mentioned though. I don't think it's a bad idea to start with BB005 and then upgrade down the road if you think it's necessary. You could also look for a used grinder if you have the patience. Hopefully better comments to follow. :-)

Nick Name

#3: Post by Nick Name »

kaffealskaren wrote:I've been doing quite a lot of research, and finally decided on getting the Bezzera Strega
I've found that the Bezzera BB005 seems to be a relatively cheap grinder with conical burrs for around 300€. So what should motivate me to buy a more expensive grinder using flat burrs, let's say the Mazzer Mini or a Quick Mill 090 M?
With a Strega you'd be wasting the potential with a sub-par grinder.
You should be looking at something like Mahlkönig K30 or Ceado E37S.
What should motivate you? The way your espresso will taste? :)

kaffealskaren (original poster)

#4: Post by kaffealskaren (original poster) »

Nick Name wrote:What should motivate you? The way your espresso will taste? :)
Thanks for the replies HoldTheOnions & Nick Name.
And good point about having the taste of the espresso motivating me :wink:

But what I still don't really get is how let's say the Mahlkönig K30 would perform better when it comes to preparing one or two double espresso's in one session. Theoretically, conical burrs should produce less heat when grinding, thus preserving the coffee beans taste. So I can only assume that a more expensive grinder would provide me with a more consistent result?

And is that the only factor which would be improving?

Appreciate the replies :)

aecletec

#5: Post by aecletec »

I wouldn't worry too much about burr heating unless you're grinding consecutive shots...
Titan Grinder Project: Does burr heating coffee grounds negatively affect taste of espresso?
Also, keep in mind the 0.2C comments with data showing that even commercial machines aren't stable and repeatable at 0.2C IIRC...
Plus we have a competitor and home users heating their grounds to "reduce fines" and claim improve taste (including me!) so heating for 1-2 shots probably isn't the problem people thought...

Aside from the heat issue, I think the TGP showed differences in fines, particle distribution and particle shape from conical vs flat burr and that's what most of the dialogue is about these days, anyway.
There's research into brewed coffee showing people can't taste the difference between conical and flat burrs, how that pans out for espresso remains to be seen AFAIK.

Basically I would say that if you've decided on a great machine like the Strega, you would benefit from purchasing the best grinder you can afford and will fit in your space and your usability/workflow (the E37S seems to have a reputation for occasionally spraying grounds everywhere due to chute design unless modified by the user, the K30 has been noted to retain more grinds behind a flap but the amount is debatable?)... conicals may need less adjusting due to fines differences and there may be general flavour differences between some conicals and some flats. Check out individual reviews, perhaps.

HoldTheOnions

#6: Post by HoldTheOnions »

To clarify, my suggestion to get BB005 assumed you were tapped out for a while, since that's how I read it. If you can afford better grinder now, then get better grinder now. Generally speaking, IMO contrary to what many people say, you can make lesser equipment work...if you're broke and have to. If you aren't broke, then just skip straight to the good stuff and you will save time, headache and money in the long run.