Concept Art dynamometric tamper?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
soundklinik

#1: Post by soundklinik »

I am in search for a Tamper 58mm...(replace stock Silvia and cheap alu)
Need some advise on couple of them.

I can get Rocket 58mm tamper for $30.
Or Concept Art dynamometric one for $40.
Both used, flat base.
Next choice was a convex Motta for $20 new...

How is the dynamometric one? Is it a gimmick, or is quality/feel really good justifying the high retail price?

I seem to get better shots, less channeling with a convex one...
Thanks

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

TAMPER ADVICE:
- get one that fits the portafilter
- get one that fits your hand
- get one that makes you happy
- get one that you can afford
- ignore tamping force. Just tamp. Consistent tamp force to some specific level is overrated by about 90%.. maybe more.

I used one of those one-piece aluminum tampers for about 8 years. They work just fine.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

cartier007

#3: Post by cartier007 »

Hello, I use the Concept Art dynamometric for around 3 years. Its a really nice piece of gear. The tamping pressure is fully adjustable. I just find it a little high for my taste but works great.

Sylvain

soundklinik (original poster)

#4: Post by soundklinik (original poster) »

Thank you Randy :)

Sound advice, (especially on the tamp force), only problem is that I have to buy through internet, where I live, there are no stores so I can't paw them...oh well

The Silvia diameter ~55 is too small, but convex, alu one fits-58mm, but is too short, bad fit in hand...

Combining all the elements I think I will go with the Motta.
THANX

boar_d_laze

#5: Post by boar_d_laze »

cartier007 wrote:Hello, I use the Concept Art dynamometric for around 3 years. Its a really nice piece of gear.
+1.

For some people getting the right amount of force is a big deal. Most of the beginners and near beginners who've tried my Technic find that the feeling of an actual 14kg comes as a complete surprise. They're either way over or way short.
The tamping pressure is fully adjustable.
Yes it is, and that ought to be considered an advantage over the Espro should you want to test the theory that particular tamping pressures will or won't make a difference in your preparation.

All in all, it's a great teaching tool.

However, most people seem to think that reasonable consistency is enough when it comes to tamping, and I agree -- partly on the basis of what I learned from the Technics. Once you start to develop some "muscle memory," which takes a couple of weeks at most, the importance of the "dynamometric" aspect fades; and you're left with a very nice looking and comfortable tamper which also has amusement value.

It's not my favorite tamper, but it is one of them.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

achipman

#6: Post by achipman »

(snip)
boar_d_laze wrote: All in all, it's a great teaching tool.
Agreed. I'm still a beginner, but when I was a complete newbie I sprang for the Espro and immediately realized I was not tamping correctly for several weeks... either way too hard or not near hard enough. I wasn't able to figure out how it translated to the extractions yet, but it was great to feel what 30 lbs. really was. (Bathroom scale wasn't giving me the right feedback or something)
soundklinik wrote:
I seem to get better shots, less channeling with a convex one...
I'm interested in the convex tampers. I have channeling issues as well... could be down to other factors though for me. Since you're getting good results with them, do you have a recommendation on any convex tamper?

Thanks,

Andrew
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Terranova »

achipman wrote: I'm interested in the convex tampers. I have channeling issues as well... could be down to other factors though for me.
A convex tamper will decrease the TDS :!:

BenKeith

#8: Post by BenKeith »

Having the capability of making my own tampers and working on an extraction problem I've done considerable experimenting with tampers of the past couple of months, all shapes, sizes and different style handles. Having been doing this, I've come to two conclusions. The thickness of the piston and the shape of the handle are the two most important parts of a tamper. I've found that if the thickness of the piston is off, you can't get a good, comfortable feel between the top edge of the piston and the rim of the basket, making it a lot harder to feel if it's level or not. If the handle is not a comfortable fit for your style of holding it, nothing about the whole process feels natural and you are more like to get an uneven tamp. Proper weight and balance play a key part in the process also. Basically, if it just doesn't feel good in your hand, it's harder to control. I think the customized fit of the piston in the basket is a good thing and all mine are made to fit, but a generic 58mm tamp in a 58.7mm basket works and is not as important as the feel of the tamper in the hand and the thickness of the piston. However, if I was ordering an expensive tamper, I would order it for a proper fit to the basket.

I'm still working on a handle size and shape I really like. Small differences in shape and diameter of the handle make a difference in the height. I'm getting closer, but still haven't gotten the exact fit I'm looking for.

My suggestion is start paying close attention to what you are doing and how the tamper feels. Then figure out what features need to be changed to make it feel better, then look for one that has the size, and shape you think would feel best in your hand. I also don't care for aluminum piston tampers, I've got a "bunch" of them and I think they are too light to get a good, balanced feel without adding weight in the handle, which I do but I think the heavier metals give a much better feel.

I'm also not sure the difference between a convex and a flat tamper is going to do much on curing a channeling problem, I know it didn't for me and I tried every shape convex there is. However, I am mostly using a convex the shape of the basket bottom because it gives me the most even extraction. Reg Barber's C-flat might help with side channeling but when I was getting that, it was because I was over dossing or my tamp was not level. I think the C-flat is made more for the deep, straight side baskets like the VST where it's hard to get a good, firm side tamp but it is claimed to help with side channeling. If it's worm holes or breaks in the center of the puck, there are a whole host of things that can cause those and I think I went through just about every one of them.

Randy G.

#9: Post by Randy G. »

In another thread talking about tampers I made a joke about the Smart Tamp digital tamper. Since then I received one and have been using it (wrote a full review HERE). I have been experimenting (because now I can), playing with different grind/dose/tamp combinations. For an example, before the Smart Tamp, I often used 15.9 to 16 grams and tamped hard; probably over 50 pounds. This morning, I dosed 15.6 grams, ground about five 'divisions' finer than usual on the Kony, and tamped to 24 pounds. It made for a nice chocolaty cappa. My wife who does not have a very good palate noticed the chocolate notes instantly. Whether the taste at any given set of parameters is better is subjective. The ability to accomplish such a change is in part experience and part a tribute to precision tools. A big part of the credit goes to not only the tamper but also to a big conical grinder's ability to deliver a wider range of usable grind settings. Add the accuracy of the Bonavita digital scale I got on the special sale on Amazon and these sorts of things can be done. That and 13 years of experience. :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

achipman

#10: Post by achipman replying to Randy G. »

Ok... you guys really need to stop telling me about cool things I have to go buy. Now I'm off to convince the wife that I need yet another coffee device. :P

Seriously though.... It comes with flat and convex base.

Randy, you didn't say if you were using flat or convex? Both?
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife