Compak K10 vs. Fiorenzato F71 for single dosing

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
briguy_78

#1: Post by briguy_78 »

Hi Everyone,
Long time lurker. I currently have a Mazzer Mini paired with a Rocket R58. I am looking to upgrade my grinder and was convinced the Compak K10 was the way to go given I will only do a double shot in the morning. Fresh beans are problem for me given where I live and so I have to order in bulk and freeze and then use 1 lb bags at a time in a vacuum tight container. Therefore, I weigh the amount of beans I need and seal the container each time....not ideal, I know.

I tried posting to the best single dose grinder thread, but given the time since the last post it has been locked down. I am nowhere near a dealer where I can test out grinders. Having my mind set on a Compak K10 it was suggested that I look at the Fiorenzato F71 and am intrigued. The company has been around a long time, but I can't find much on the F71 (only F4) and it looks like the have some newer versions as well. Anyone have any experience with this grinder or can point me to some threads (I did try searching) if they are out there.

Thanks everyone.

spearfish25

#2: Post by spearfish25 »

One double a day and single dosing screams HG1. Neither grinder you mention will single dose well and both will have a fair amount of waste with purging to start a day or after adjustments.

canuckcoffeeguy

#3: Post by canuckcoffeeguy replying to spearfish25 »

Have you used a K10 or F71 to inform your statement? You summarily dismissed the K10 and F71 without a blink.

I have a K10PB, which is widely known as one of the more single dosing friendly commercial Titans.

Yes, it does require removing the finger guard. And it does require the bump n' grind and chute sweep routine. And youll probably need some kind of WDT routine, too. But you can get single dosing retention down to under 1g easily. And down to under 0.5g if you modify the doser vanes.

I haven't used the F71 so I can't comment on it.

The HG ONE is also a good single dosing option, especially for low volume. But it still requires hand grinding, RDT to prevent static, and most likely WDT to get good pours.

Now if the OP is referring to the other K10 models without a doser, then I haven't used them. I don't know how accessible the chute is for sweeping.

spearfish25

#4: Post by spearfish25 »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:You summarily dismissed the K10 and F71 without a blink.
Incorrect. I blinked twice and still wouldn't get either of those if I planned to single dose one shot a day.

chrisbodnarphoto

#5: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

I don't have much to add to the OP's post other than the fact that I feel your pain in regards to finding any information on Fiorenzaro grinders! I've tried high and low to find any info regarding the F71 or F83.

I'll most likely jump on an F83 sometime soon, and while it's not the conical (I fear too much retention - even with 4 doubles a day!) I'll be more than happy to share my thoughts on the large flat.

To add one more thing - I played with the F83 in person, and I believe it's the exact same physically, with the only difference being the conical vs flats. The grinder is quite quiet, fairly big (as one would expect), and the touch interface is an absolute pleasure to use. The fact it has a a digital thermometer and humidity indicator are just cool icings on the cake. A truly well made piece of machinery!

SJM

#6: Post by SJM »

I pull one double a day and the K-10 PB is perfect.
I have no idea about the Fiorenzato, but you can't go wrong with a K-10.

canuckcoffeeguy

#7: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

spearfish25 wrote:Incorrect. I blinked twice and still wouldn't get either of those if I planned to single dose one shot a day.
That's great. But the thread isn't about what you would buy.

The OP needs feedback from people who know and have used the grinders in question, and can provide useful assessments based on their direct experience. That's why I feel comfortable weighing in on the K10PB. Whereas I have zero experience with the F71 and stated as much.

It appears you haven't used either of them.

bmb

#8: Post by bmb »

Retention,
I have a HG-One and recently bought a big Titan.
What I do with the big one is to purge it in the morning, and collecting the grinds in a nice tin can.
I use these grinds as a supermarket substitute (there is use for it at home), will not be fresh grinded coffee, but it tastes better than the supermarket brands.
Of course that I end up using some more (expensive) beans, but at least I don't feel that I'm wasting.

Double Shot

#9: Post by Double Shot »

I went from a Mini Mazzer with doser to a Compak K10PB with doser. I weigh and single dose exclusively. Initially I did find the retention in the K10 took longer to clear (perhaps an extra 20 seconds). I use an artists paint brush to clear the chute. I'm used to it now and really happy with the results in the cup. I plan to carry out JohnB's chute mods listed somewhere on this website and have modified the sweeper vanes of the doser. I get approx .3 to .5 grams retention.
LMWDP #480.

briguy_78 (original poster)

#10: Post by briguy_78 (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for the responses so far....I do appreciate all views. I don't mind the routine of adding a few beans to purge out the old grinds and having to sweep out with a brush as that's what I do now. Fiorenzato looks great and hoping somebody with some real world experience with one could provide a view. Seems odd that there isn't much out there on it.