Compak K10 Fresh vs. K10 Pro Barista

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
docjcf

#1: Post by docjcf »

Hi all,

I am ready for a grinder upgrade. currently using a moded stepless MDF. I am ready to go to the "big leagues" and have been reading a lot and my 2 finalists are k10 fresh and k10PB.

I usually stick to the same coffee at least for 1-2 pounds then may switch. I have a expobar office lever w erics thermometer HX machine. I usually dont single dose but keep coffee on the hopper (small 1/2 pound MDF hopper). I have read a lot regarding these machines but not clear yet on all advantages - disadvantages other than price. Is the adjusting (dialing) much easier on the fresh as it has a knob compared to the ring on the PB? is the retention much higher on the fresh?

What do u guys think.

Thanks and regards

John

jgirl125

#2: Post by jgirl125 »

I have the K10 Fresh and enjoy the no doser setup. For me I was less concerned about grind retention and my routine is to just purge before I pull my first espresso. I'm pretty constant with my brands as I stick to local roasters so single dosing is just not a requirement for me. One big plus on the PB is the price as it is quite a bit cheaper. Overall, I love the consistency of the grinder and the quality of the grind.

Advertisement
damonbowe

#3: Post by damonbowe replying to jgirl125 »

I agree with jgirl125 and I use mine the same way she does. However, I don't have trouble with switching out the beans...I usually change them about every pound or so. The price difference isn't horrible if you can find a used K10F from Chris Coffee. There's one up there now: https://www.chriscoffee.com/K10-Fresh-B ... 0fresh.htm

Of course, they also have a PB model up for sale as well, just to confuse your decision further: https://www.chriscoffee.com/Compak-K10- ... 0wbcpa.htm

politbureau

#4: Post by politbureau »

It's funny this thread just jumped to the top of the forum - I literally was just at idrinkcoffee today, and had a chance to play with the k10 fresh.

I have the k10pb and love it - it's super consistent, and the doser ensures perfect, clump free grinds distribution in the basket every time. I single dose, and grind retention isn't terrible with a little effort.

The k10 fresh I played with today was awesome. Great digital dosing system, and the same awesome conical burr set. The fellow at the shop did mention that cleaning was a bit more involved, and clearing retained grinds was more of a hassle since access to the grinder chute is more difficult. His opinion, like mine, is the fresh is more suited to high volume or multi dosing situations.

I think it comes down to this - if you plan to single dose, or use the grinder less often, get the pro barista. It's much easier to clean retained grounds. In any other situation, get the fresh.

Cheers
Many beans were harmed in the making of this barista.

docjcf (original poster)

#5: Post by docjcf (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies.

I usually make a double every day and a few on the weekend, clearly low use. I have been using a doser for yrs without a problem. I am leaning towards the PB for those reasons and the price difference.
I too saw that CC has both on "sale", more confusing!

I guess I have to make a decision.

Thanks

John