Compak F10 vs E10?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
F1

#1: Post by F1 »

I see these two grinders as being way too similar so I don't understand the reason for Compak to offer these two on demand grinders. They appear to offer the same functonality. Other than the way grind is adjusted(E10 collar vs F10 knob) I don't see any other differences. Even the control screen seems to operate the same. Am I missing something? I am just curious.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I agree the differences aren't that significant. Mainly, the nice worm gear drive adjustment for the F series versus the collared E line. There was a brief period of time between product line updates where the new E series had a timer that was adjustable to .01 vs tenths of seconds, but I don't know if that's even the case now.

Redspeed burrs initally just hit the E series, they might be in the F now too, or at least an option, they weren't originally when it wsa released.

The F series has a slightly different scale readout (both numetric and a bar graph) for grind level.

All of these rather miniscule, but I do prefer the worm gear adjustment to the F series personally.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
F1 (original poster)

#3: Post by F1 (original poster) »

Thx for the reply Tom. I have a K10 PB, but I think I would also prefer the worm gear of the F10.

shawndo

#4: Post by shawndo »

I'm also looking at this comparison. From reading the features, the E10 has the "Parallel System" grind regulator lock". I'm not sure how much real world value that has but from what I can tell just from reading, f10 vs e10 is basically worm gear adjustment vs parallel system
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

malling

#5: Post by malling »

I would definitely choose the E, it is just that much easier to service and remove the burr carrier on, then the F model.

However it is positive that Compak scraped the old display and buttons design on the F model and replaced it with the same panel as found on the E, it makes it feel more robust and makes it easier to clean. These are the type of buttons you should find on any grinder, scale and kettle. I
Hope Eureka and Mahlkonig realize this before I upgrade next time.

But a conical might not be the espresso grinder of my choosing today. E8, E37s, K30, Super Caimano, Eureka 75 and especially the Mythos one (or ordinary Mythos with clump buster mod) or PEAK is what I would consider.

But again I drink very very light northern european roast that really dos best at high yield.

shawndo

#6: Post by shawndo »

malling wrote: But a conical might not be the espresso grinder of my choosing today. E8, E37s, K30, Super Caimano, Eureka 75 and especially the Mythos one (or ordinary Mythos with clump buster mod) or PEAK is what I would consider.

But again I drink very very light northern european roast that really dos best at high yield.
I'm also thinking about this but I'm a regular comfort-blend guy , so I'm thinking the classic big conical is for me.

JmanEspresso

#7: Post by JmanEspresso replying to shawndo »

Im like you man, LOVE the classic blend. Not afriad of fruit or some balanced acidity, just not looking for a "brewspresso" of some cupping roast level single origins

I had a titan flat for a very long time, the Major. Loved it dearly(still do). Now Ive had the K10 for a while, and it too, is very nice.

The K10 lets those accents notes show up a little more than the 83mm flat Major did. Subtle, but noticeable, especially over time. But, I never have gotten a thicker, more toungue coating, basically acted and tasted like sipping chocolate, shots that what I would get off the Major, and a superior chocolate bomb blend. The K10 is capable of big body shots as well, but the Major.. that was the Majors game.

Ideal world Id like to have both types of grinders available to me. Right now, Im considering maybe possibly selling the K10 to fund a titan flat like the Major or the Super Camiano. But, what Im more interested in doing, is just keeping the K10 and adding one of those flats to the setup.

Advertisement
F1 (original poster)

#8: Post by F1 (original poster) »

JmanEspresso wrote:Im like you man, LOVE the classic blend. Not afriad of fruit or some balanced acidity, just not looking for a "brewspresso" of some cupping roast level single origins

I had a titan flat for a very long time, the Major. Loved it dearly(still do). Now Ive had the K10 for a while, and it too, is very nice.

The K10 lets those accents notes show up a little more than the 83mm flat Major did. Subtle, but noticeable, especially over time. But, I never have gotten a thicker, more toungue coating, basically acted and tasted like sipping chocolate, shots that what I would get off the Major, and a superior chocolate bomb blend. The K10 is capable of big body shots as well, but the Major.. that was the Majors game.

Ideal world Id like to have both types of grinders available to me. Right now, Im considering maybe possibly selling the K10 to fund a titan flat like the Major or the Super Camiano. But, what Im more interested in doing, is just keeping the K10 and adding one of those flats to the setup.
Chris Coffee is selling an open box Major for just under $1K.

JmanEspresso

#9: Post by JmanEspresso »

Oh i know lol. Id be lieing if I said I wasnt thinking about it.

LOVE the Major. REALLY love it. Had two, one of which I picked up brand spanking new. Would totally get another. But Im also thinking maybe I wanna try the "other best" flat burr grinder. The Super Camaino. In either case, not ready to make a purchase yet.

shawndo

#10: Post by shawndo »

Hmm, I dont think I ever knew the Major had big flat burrs like that. So what does the Peak/EK43 have that the Major doesn't? I don't think I ever heard the Major mentioned in all the whole post-Perger internet-coffee epoch!