Compak E8 single dosing?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
F1

#1: Post by F1 »

I am seriously considering getting a Compak E8 to replace my Super Jolly E. Are there any E8 users out there that single dose with this grinder and get excellent results? Thx in advance.

ShelbiRyan

#2: Post by ShelbiRyan »

I currently single dose with my E8, I have fabricated a tool to sit in the throat that helps consistency and bean pop-corning. When I completely clean the grinder out (not removing the burrs, Compak doesn't recommend disassembly for cleaning) by using a long modified chopstick and vacuum cleaner, I find it retains around 4g...which isn't a lot. In a milk based drink, you will not taste any difference in the cup.

I use the E8 for both hopper and single dosing, and absolutely love this grinder. The build quality is top notch and the grinder is very easy to use. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

F1 (original poster)

#3: Post by F1 (original poster) replying to ShelbiRyan »

Awesome. That's what I wanted to hear. I single dose on a Compak K10 with a small spice jar in the throat with excellent results. The Super Jolly needs a lot of WDT if I single dose with it and even then I don't think the shot tastes the same as when using the hopper. I was afraid that this was a symptom that all flat burr grinders shared.

ShelbiRyan

#4: Post by ShelbiRyan »

Tonight I have completely disassembled my E8 and cleaned it. I removed the front display, complete shoot and clump flap and obviously the the burrs. I reassembled and set my collar to the same setting I had my beans dialled in at, loaded it with a single dose of 20.5g and got 16.3 out. The total retention is 4.2 grams. Now when loading a second and third dose of 20.5g I'm getting 20.3 and 20.2 out.

Hopefully that will give you a little more insight on this grinder for single dosing. Please keep in mind that these calculations are done with my 376g dosing tool I put in the grinder throat, and also with RDT.