Coffee scales...again

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Harold B

#1: Post by Harold B »

Hello all,
Another indecisive purchaser. I am updating all my equipment. Was using a Brewtus II for 8 years with a Rocky, and am done with that. I will be getting a Londinium in a month or so, and have upgraded to a Mahlgut MG-1 recently. A BWT water filter will be going in soon, and I need to replace my scale. I began rolling down (or up??) the hill from the Brewista SS to the Pearl, then the Lunar... but not sure I need all that. With the Londinium the only real timing issue is the pre-infusion, which is rather straight forward. So I anticipate I will mostly just be weighing in my coffee, so wouldn't the Brewista do all I need? Trouble is I really like well designed stuff...

Thanks for your input.
Harold

Spitz.me

#2: Post by Spitz.me »

I definitely think there's a ton of over-thinking on scales. All you need to be able to do is measure your output to be consistent. I used a standard .1g scale for many years that I bought for cheap. I just recently got a Brewista as a gift and I think it's fantastic. Are my drinks better now? No.
LMWDP #670

Harold B (original poster)

#3: Post by Harold B (original poster) »

Thanks Tony, yah, that's where my logical brain goes, my gadget brain is hard to rein in! ;)

Don Task

#4: Post by Don Task »

Harold B wrote: [snip]... Trouble is I really like well designed stuff...

Harold
I feel your pain. For several decades I always wanted the best money could buy (or more accurately... the best I could afford) I always pushed the upper most limits of my spending, shooting for the highest quality well designed products with the most bells and whistles. Then my light bulb came on! :idea: Looking back over the years I saw a pattern. Yes, I had a lot of nice equipment espresso, stereo/Home Theater, power tools, etc... but rarely did I ever use or take advantage of all those bells and whistles I thought I had to have and the ROI (Return On Investment) was questionable at best.

I'm now finally able to rationally dial in my emotions and buy the devices I need while realistically eliminating the features I know I will probably never use.

NET: Last week I went through the same scale research as you... I was drooling over the various Acaia models when my conscience whispered to me... and told me to consider the Brewista... and even the very affordable AWS. I eventually decided on the Brewista. Although four times the price of an AWS I consoled myself justifying the price for its water repellent capabilities while at the same time applauding myself for the savings realized over one of the Acaias.

Then again... if I could afford a Slayer I'd probably not think twice about getting a Lunar. :mrgreen:
Don Task
Krups, then Silvia, then Livia 90, then a Techno! Does it ever end? [sigh]

IUespresso

#5: Post by IUespresso »

I enjoy using the acaia pearl with my L-1. Being able to see that I am hitting the golden 1 gram per second rule on the scale really helps me dial in new roasts.

I wish I would have waited for the Lunar though, as it would be nice to know that I am not hurting the scale if coffee spills on it. That is an issue with the L-1, as the stream of coffee does not stop until the spring is done moving, so you have to make quick movements to get the cup and the scale out of the way.

-Michael

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

The Acaia is water resistant as long as the water falls on the top and doesn't pool around it.

Ira

altiplano

#7: Post by altiplano »

I don't know... I have an old Tanita gram scale I use to weigh doses and a cheap Triton .1 gram scale I use to weigh shots.

Works great. Save your money.

bluesman

#8: Post by bluesman »

Don Task wrote:I'm now finally able to rationally dial in my emotions and buy the devices I need while realistically eliminating the features I know I will probably never use.
Hi, Don -

I'm in that camp, but I took it to an even lower level. I use an American Weigh Scales Black Blade Digital Pocket Scale ($8.45 from Amazon) under the cup

and a larger round one that cost about twice as much for the PF. They work great, are easy to clean and keep clean, and are both accurate to 0.1 gm, which is good enough for me. I put a square of Saran Wrap on the little one to keep it from getting terminally soiled when I'm using a naked PF, and the big one has an entirely glass top and wipes clean with a stroke of the rag.

spressomon

#9: Post by spressomon »

Harold,
FWIW I've been using the Brewista scale the past couple of months and like it. I'd buy it again. Having said that I have several cheapie scales too but use the Brewista under my cup when pulling from my LI (and EspressoForge when traveling). I like the various programs it has for keeping time and weight easily and quickly viewable.
No Espresso = Depresso

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by mgrayson »

How is the AWS Black Blade's responsiveness? I have their 2kg scale and it is difficult to use under the cup while pulling espresso as it lags a few seconds behind.

Matt