Coffee for large family every morning

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Fr. John

#1: Post by Fr. John »

OK, our family is large and has increased to a minimum of 9 healthy cups per day. A 12 cup drip stopped sufficing for us long ago. We have used a large press for a few years but it's become tiresome to brew 2 pots and use thermals.

Is there another solution I'm overlooking?

It needs to be convenient and economical (I don't want pods).
Fr. John

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Look for a used Bunn or Curtis style restaurant brewer. They are fast so after the first pot has brewed it would be easy to get a second brewing. There are even two-position brewers where you could get two brewing at once.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

unix04

#3: Post by unix04 »

Once in a while, on my camping trips, I'll boil water in a large pot on an open fire. I get it to a boil and then move it away from the fire. I dump fresh ground coffee (yea, really long manual process good for exercise!) into the pot and give it a few stirs to get them all soaked. A few minutes later, I dump the mix into another large pot that's covered with cloth, which i use to strain the coffee. Then we serve and start the day, except for me, since mine started with grinding coffee. :P

You will have to play around with timing and grind/water ratio, but the process to brew large batches is pretty simple once you get the hang of it. This would be my go to method for anything over 1 gallon

Intrepid510

#4: Post by Intrepid510 »

I would probably buy a Technivorm and another pot. So you brew up the first pot and then top it and start the next. Or really any good coffee maker and an extra pot.

endlesscycles

#5: Post by endlesscycles »

Get a filter basket from Fetco and a 6qt kettle. Brew a gallon at a time. Bigger batches taste better.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

mgthompson

#6: Post by mgthompson »

Sounds to me like they need a bunn. No offense to the previous posters, but I can't even begin to imagine wanting to make coffee in gallon increments in big pots etc. Bunns are fast, and you can run multiple pots. Not to mention, if they need that much, I bet it doesn't have time to sit and turn into coffee sauce on the warming plate.

Gfcronus

#7: Post by Gfcronus »

Fr. John wrote:OK, our family is large and has increased to a minimum of 9 healthy cups per day. A 12 cup drip stopped sufficing for us long ago. We have used a large press for a few years but it's become tiresome to brew 2 pots and use thermals.

Is there another solution I'm overlooking?

It needs to be convenient and economical (I don't want pods).
Make a lot of coffee would be my suggestion. Restaurants have similar issues. Or you could hire a personal home barista. Don't do the backyard campfire with a cast iron pot of boiling water like the poster above alluded to.