Chris' Coffee joystick steam wand - easy to install, good results?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
someguy12

#1: Post by someguy12 »

Hi,

I just recently received a brand new Magister Stella Pro and I absolutely love it. Here's what it looks like
The only thing I would like to change it the steam/hot water tap knobs. Having worked with joysticks before, I find them to be more precise for steaming purposes. It is my understanding that the Stella, just like the Andreja Premium, has non compression valves which would make it possible to install.

Did anybody install these joysticks? How hard are they to install and are you satisfied with the result? :)

Thanks alot & happy new year!

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

I haven't installed them. CC did it before they shipped my machine.

However, I think they work great. Very functional and aesthetically pleasing. I'm not familiar with the steaming power of your machine and if it'd perform well using these.

Advertisement
caffeinatedjen
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by caffeinatedjen »

I don't know about your machine or the those particular joysticks, but I love the ones on both Bezzera machines I've had. Using knobs seems sort of primitive after getting used to the joysticks.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#4: Post by EspressoForge »

I don't mind them on my Bezzera, but one thing to keep in mind is that steaming would require two hands, one on the pitcher and one on the joystick. It's nice for the instant on/off capability, but a knob does allow you to open and fine tune a bit easier the amount of steam, and then use both hands on the pitcher.

I used to steam with one hand on the side feeling for temp, now I have to do that with the hand that holds the pitcher as well.

Overall, I think they are a fine design, but if my machine had knobs I don't know that I would go out of my way to "upgrade". I would try to stick with the knobs for a while and see if you can adjust to them, you may find out that you like them just as well or better than the joystick method.

brianl

#5: Post by brianl »

I have the joysticks in question. You turn them on in any direction outward and they stay on without you holding them. To turn them off you press towards the middle.

Therefore, you have your other hand free to do whatever you want with.

boar_d_laze

#6: Post by boar_d_laze »

brianl wrote:...you have your other hand free to do whatever you want.

:roll:
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#7: Post by EspressoForge »

brianl wrote:I have the joysticks in question. You turn them on in any direction outward and they stay on without you holding them. To turn them off you press towards the middle.

Therefore, you have your other hand free to do whatever you want with.
Oh nice...I didn't realize that was the case. So that pretty much changes everything. I'll need one of those for a lot of valves in my life so that I can free up my other hand for other activities...

Seriously though, that does seem like a more handy design than what Bezzera uses.

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

brianl wrote:I have the joysticks in question. You turn them on in any direction outward and they stay on without you holding them. To turn them off you press towards the middle.
Same style that came on my Bosco. I like it much more then the joystick control on my Strega which only locks on in one direction. The hot water valve is controlled by a knob which I prefer as you can easily regulate the flow from a dribble to full blast.
LMWDP 267