Chris' Coffee in-tank water filter and softener with rotary pump?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
F1

#1: Post by F1 »

Anybody using this? Would this put too much stress on a rotary pump?

This one: https://www.chriscoffee.com/In-Tank-Wat ... p/9684.htm

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

Personally, most people here will not use this, myself included as salt cation softeners are on the way out. To answer your question it will restrict flow to the pump which may lead to an early pump death. However, I've never seen/heard of it directly take out a pump.

Most people with a reservoir are 'mixing' their own water.

F1 (original poster)

#3: Post by F1 (original poster) »

So I went ahead and installed the in-tank water filter from Chris's Coffee since I received it two days ago. Immediately I noticed the pump struggling. I gave it an hour and a couple of flushes to make sure that the lines and the filter were saturated with water. It was still struggling so I removed it and threw it in the trash. Chris's Coffee has got to know that this thing is no good for rotary pumps. CC should put a note in the description stating this. :x

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

F1 wrote:CC should put a note in the description stating this.
They do say "This in tank water filter and softener is perfect for most manual fill espresso machines"; I agree they could make it more explicit by stating it isn't applicable to rotary pump espresso machines, which draw much more quickly than vibratory pumps when refilling the steam boiler.
Dan Kehn

TrentFysty

#5: Post by TrentFysty »

I tried the in tank softener as well and had the same experience. When I upgraded my machine I just when ahead and installed a filter and softener and plumbed in the machine. I am so much happier now that I did. It costs a bit but well worth it. If you can plumb in, the mixing water works, just a pain.