Choosing a grinder with max $900 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Corrupy

#1: Post by Corrupy »

I own a little Breville Barista express. It's not very good in any sense but I've come to realise that the grinder that is built in is very bad.

I'm looking to upgrade by buying a new grinder. I've got a maximum of $900 to spend. I'm from South Africa so the brands are limited. Even buying second hand grinders is quite difficult. The following brands are available here:

Compak
Ditting
La Marzocco
Mahlkonig
Mazzer
Wega
Anfim
Crem
Quamar
Macap
Isomac

I'm considering the Mazzer SJ, because of all the good reviews I've heard about them. The Baratza vario (Mahlkonig) is also on my list but I heard the built quality is quite shoddy. I can't seem to find the Baratza forte here.

boar_d_laze

#2: Post by boar_d_laze »

There are few -- if any -- here who know South African prices.

If there's a particular grinder you want to know about, we may be able to tell you something; but it's unrealstic of you to provide a list of eleven manufacturers and expect an evaluation of candidates which may or may not be suitable for you.

Price is one criterion, but there are others which may strongly rule some particular grinder in or out -- like height, whether you intend to single dose, doser type, and so on.

If South African prices run anything like US prices, I suggest beginning your grinder search with the Super Jolly class, which includes numerous grinders from companies (including the re-branders) on your list, including the Compak K6, the Mazzer Super Jolly itself, the Quamar M80E, etc.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Corrupy (original poster)

#3: Post by Corrupy (original poster) »

The prices are relatively similar. I wrote $900 as US dollars which is around R9000 here. Basically I can get a doser SJ new for about R9000. Well if I have to specify. I'd like to know of the 11 brands I've posted. Which brands carry grinders that have the same performance in cup and hardiness to last for years to come as the SJ. I can then compare prices myself from there onwards. I use the grinder for espresso only.

boar_d_laze

#4: Post by boar_d_laze »

• Anfim -- "In the cup" Anfim's Super Caimano is the best flat burr grinder I've ever used. It's better in the cup than a K-30, Mazzer Major, the Ceado E37s, and my (previous grinder, a) La Cimbali Junior Max Hybrid. It comes within a whisker of a big conic. Amazingly good doser, too. On the down side: Very noisy, somewhat messy, the stepped adjustment scheme requires some screwing around with dose and grind to get an acceptable flow rate, and it's well out of your price range.
    - Never tried the regular Caimano (64mm burrs as opposed to the Super's 75s). Could be a possibility. But it's stepped and -- since it's an Anfim -- probably noisy as hell. Worth investigating.
  • Compak -- K6 is an SJ class grinder. So is the new E6 OD. If you want an on-demand grinder in that class, want a better-finished grinder than the Quamar M80E and can afford the extra tariff, everything considered, the E6 OD is probably the best option.
  • Crem -- Never heard of them until reading your post.
  • Ditting -- No Ditting espresso grinders in the US anywhere near your price range, just bulk grinders you can't afford. So no information.
  • Isomac -- No knowledge. Very little, if any, presence in the US.
  • La Marzocco -- Nothing you can afford.
  • Macap -- The MX is their mechanical doser equipped, SJ class grinder. They also have a doserless grinder which I think has the same burr set and motor, the MC6. Like the SJ they use a "turn the whole collar" adjustment scheme. Either could probably work for you.
  • Mahlkonig -- The Vario is good in the cup, almost as good as the very good SJ. It is, as you say, lightly built. But even so, it is a huge bargain in the US. The comments on the boards suggest that if the Vario is used espresso-only it's more durable and reliable than if used as an "all purpose" grinder. For versatility and ease of use it's as good as anything at any price. Unless build quality means a huge amount to you, it's hard to find enough rationale for anything in the SJ class to justify its relative lack of user friendliness and higher cost. That's not to say that build quality isn't enough to make a dispositive difference. If I were looking for an under $1000 grinder, I'm not sure what I'd do. Not that what I'd do should make a difference to you.
    - The K-30 Vario PB is an "excellent" flat burr grinder, and also (mostly) quite friendly. Unfortunately, its excellence comes at a high price. Also, it's a bitch to disassemble, which matters when you want to do deep cleaning and other infrequent maintenance chores
  • Mazzer -- SJ is the archetype of commercial grinders used in the home. It's "very good" in the cup, but I don't care for it as compared to a Ceado E7, for instance, for its adjustment scheme and messiness
  • Quamar -- The M80 and M80E are the value leaders in the SJ class. Great prices come at the expense of fit and finish and noise. A lot of what's wrong with the M80 is the doser, which -- of course -- is not a problem with the M80E. Could be a very good choice for you if you can live with the clatter.
  • Wega -- Wega's current US product line seems to be rebranded Compaks, and perhaps a Macap or two. Do they manufacture their own grinders? I don't know. What's available in South Africa? Quien sabe, amigo? Quien sabe?
Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Corrupy (original poster)

#5: Post by Corrupy (original poster) »

Hi thanks for the lengthy, but extremely informative reply. A few questions though. Firstly about the ANFIM super caimano, that is a bit out of my budget but I will try see if I can fork out a bit more. However if I can't, is the ANFIM caimano any good?

Also the Wega grinders that we have here are also rebranded compaks. We have the 5.8 instant which is I think similar to the K3 touch and then the 6.4 manual which is I think the K6.

Beenbag

#6: Post by Beenbag »

I cannot help thinking that you are in danger of a huge mismatch between grinder ability and brew equipment.
That is, you may not be able to exploit the advantages of some of those excellent grinders with the Barista Express , and hence in danger of "over investment" in a grinder. Unless you intend to upgrade your espresso m/c also at some time soon ?
If pricing in SA is anything like the rest of the world, then the Wega/Compak grinders will be the value/performance choice, since they are as you know simply Compak's rebranded but with a lower price !
You will probably be able to pick up a Wega 5.8 (Compak k3) for half your R9k budget.

sqroot3

#7: Post by sqroot3 »

Wow, BDL posted a treasure trove of information.

On the contrary, I think the barista express is a reasonable match for the grinders he is considering. the rudimentary pid of the barista express is a good starting point, and espresso is a lifelong quest of gradual upgrades.