Chinese Grinder Pegasus 900n - Mazzer Super Jolly copy - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
SlowRain

#21: Post by SlowRain »

zammie wrote: Might be the Laranzato?
I do believe it is. Thanks. Good to have that information around.

zammie

#22: Post by zammie »

jor200 wrote:Are the burrs that comes with it good? Or I'll be better of just changing it to the original sj straight.

Do you know if it fits the mini hopper from the mazzer mini?
Hi jor200, I'm not sure because I opted out and got a used SJ on eBay. Anyway for the price the 900N looks a good first electric grinder IMO.
dizzy

LMWDP #455

blueface

#23: Post by blueface »

jor200 wrote:Yeah I'll be getting it from taobao. Found a seller that claims it's the Taiwan model and the are many good reviews. And people confirm that it's from Taiwan by emailing and checking with Yang-Chia. Here's the link

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... 4ca#detail

Are the burrs that comes with it good? Or I'll be better of just changing it to the original sj straight.

Do you know if it fits the mini hopper from the mazzer mini?
For slightly over US$300, that's a very good buy. Do share with us with pictures & perhaps a small review? :mrgreen:

jor200 (original poster)

#24: Post by jor200 (original poster) »

If I do get it I'll post up a small review. Anyways after calculating everything the 900n, new original mazzer burrs and a mini hopper. It turns out to around $400. Seeing how the Original Mazzer mini cost aorund $480-$500 from where I'm getting it from. Do you think I'm better off with an original mini? Do the 58mm burrs vs 64mm burrs have a huge difference in taste? Or is it just speed? But I've heard that the mini doser is horrible.

HB
Admin

#25: Post by HB »

jor200 wrote:But I've heard that the mini doser is horrible.
Huh? Except for the height, all the Mazzer dosers are identical. If you're really fussy, see Improving Mazzer doser efficiency and How to Tame a Messy Mazzer Doser for simple modifications.
Dan Kehn

jor200 (original poster)

#26: Post by jor200 (original poster) »

HB wrote:for simple modifications.
Does the mini clump really badly? I live in Singapore where humidity is always 90-100%. Clumping is a horrible issue here haha. On the bright side, Almost zero static here though. I mean if I convert the mini to a doserless. There are mods on taobao that they sell to covert it easily.

*I have permission from the owner

jor200 (original poster)

#27: Post by jor200 (original poster) »

Here's a fully modded out SJ with anti static/clumping hook, pf holder, electronic dosing and the chute thingy.

*I have permissions to use the photos

HB
Admin

#28: Post by HB »

jor200 wrote:Does the mini clump really badly? I live in Singapore where humidity is always 90-100%. Clumping is a horrible issue here haha.
Under those conditions, most grinders would clump. The Mini is a solid performer, that's indisputable. If clumping is a significant concern, the Baratza Vario may be a better choice or conical grinder. As a class, the conical grinders seem to produce less clumping--or at least "benign" clumps.
jor200 wrote:I mean if I convert the mini to a doserless.
Doser vs. doserless is a question that borders on religion. Search the forums, it's been hashed out dozens of times with little agreement.
Dan Kehn

jor200 (original poster)

#29: Post by jor200 (original poster) »

HB wrote:Doser vs. doserless is a question that borders on religion. Search the forums, it's been hashed out dozens of times with little agreement.
How do you think the lelit pl53 will fair? For me now it's either 900n, mazzer mini or lelit pl53. I would love to go for the vario but it cost almost $700 here which is ridiculous. And that's the mahlkonig version vario home.

The three mention grinders above cost the same here. Which is why I'm a little hesitatant about buying the lelit.
But then again clumping is a big issue and I've heard the lelit doesn't clump as much.

Do the 64mm Burrs differ a lot in terms of taste in cup compared to the 58mm?

Yeah I wouldn't get started in doser vs doserless. Never ending debate.

jor200 (original poster)

#30: Post by jor200 (original poster) »

Oh and the SJ cost just $70 more than the mini here. Another headache, but if I get the SJ I'll have to get a mini hopper which is additional $$$