Cheap tamper for 49mm baskets

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
juanitowu

#1: Post by juanitowu »

Yea I am cheap. Not a good combination with this hobby. I was in the market for a new tamper but I didn't want to pay for 50 dollars. I found this http://www.buyincoins.com/item/28602.html#.U-vp82t5mSM and decided to give it a try. I have been in this situation before and it usually ends in disappointment and spending more money than I intended. But I am not a fast learner.

This time it was worth it! Keep in mind that the 49mm baskets are more like 49.6mm so there is a little play with this tamper. you won't get the snug fit that a oe tamper or a custom reg barber would have. But for 20 dollars with free shipping it sure is better than my current plastic tamper.

Not bad build quality either. I totally thought it was going to be hollow or laminated plastic but it's got a really nice heavy feel.

Hope this is helpful to someone!

OzarkTroutBum

#2: Post by OzarkTroutBum »

juanitowu wrote:Yea I am cheap. Not a good combination with this hobby. I was in the market for a new tamper but I didn't want to pay for 50 dollars.
I have a similar style I bought on Ebay 10 years ago. Its held up surprisingly well.
Enjoy it and spend the rest on good beans.

pacificmanitou

#3: Post by pacificmanitou »

When it comes to non-standard tampers, OE is the place to go. The bases fit precisely with the baskets noted on the websites.
LMWDP #366