Heat Exchanger Espresso machine noises while in standby

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Gig103

#1: Post by Gig103 »

Hi all,

I'm looking at E61 HX machines and was wondering about standby 'noise'. I read something and can't find it again about clicking from the pressurestat while a machine is idling, is that typical? My wife is not a fan of my current CC1 and it has some occasional clicking sounds. I wonder if it's about to get more noticeable and frequent if I upgrade?

(Part of me thinks that, if so, I might splurge on a rotary-pump dual boiler that is overkill for my actual coffee consumption).

Edit: It was recommended I mention specific machines as it can vary. I'm looking at the Quick Mill Andreja Premium. My "splurge" mentioned above would be a Quick Mill Vetrano 2B.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by uscfroadie »

Gig103 wrote:Hi all,

I'm looking at E61 HX machines and was wondering about standby 'noise'. I read something and can't find it again about clicking from the pressurestat while a machine is idling, is that typical? My wife is not a fan of my current CC1 and it has some occasional clicking sounds. I wonder if it's about to get more noticeable and frequent if I upgrade?

(Part of me thinks that, if so, I might splurge on a rotary-pump dual boiler that is overkill for my actual coffee consumption).
Mike,

You probably are thinking of a Sirai p-stat. The sound it makes cycling on/off pales in comparison to the sound of a HX machine's cooling flush. If your wife doesn't like the sound your CC1 makes, she'll probably really not like the sound of you flushing to get down to brew temp. Just sayin...

Try one before you buy one.
Merle

Gig103 (original poster)

#3: Post by Gig103 (original poster) »

Thanks Merle,

If I can find someone to see them in the Phoenix area I will definitely do that.

It isn't the actual brew/steam sounds that bug her (so my flush and coffee grinding are fine), it's the standby ones - and I can't figure out why! But does the Siria cycle frequently?

During the week I use it after she's left, it's weekends where I'm not sure what I will do (keep it on all day, or all morning, or as needed).

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by uscfroadie »

Gig103 wrote:But does the Siria cycle frequently?
The cycling depends on the machine, boiler insulated or not, etc. The sound is just a clicking sound when the contacts touch and when they separate. Plan on it "clicking" a few (4 or more) times a minute when idling.
Merle

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. replying to uscfroadie »

Depends on the size of the boiler, insulation, ect. as you said but that certainly sounds like a lot (4 or more a minute) of clicking? I get 5:50 of peace from my Bosco after insulating the boiler. Not all p'stats are as loud as the Sirai but if the noise is an issue go with a machine that uses a PID/SSR.
LMWDP 267

Gig103 (original poster)

#6: Post by Gig103 (original poster) »

Well I think I was a little silly even bringing it up to my wife but just to be sure I told her it might click while on. She doesn't seem concerned, so I placed my order tonight for an Andreja Premium!

BillRedding

#7: Post by BillRedding »

The only "click" I notice on my HX machine is in the very beginning when I turn it on in the morning to warm it up: The boiler's anti-vacuum valve will close when the boiler pressure rises enough to close it. When it does close, it's clearly noticeable (the hissing/gurgling of escaped air BEFORE it closes is also quite noticeable). But once that happens, the machine is pretty quiet.

As for the pressure-stat clicking on & off, it's either not very loud or I just don't notice it, so for me it's not an issue.

Let us know your Andreja Premium arrived safely (I know *I* was worried the UPS guys would damage my also heavy Vibiemme on it's long truck-ride from the East Coast to Colorado) -- and your first use/impressions.

Good luck,

-- BR

gophish

#8: Post by gophish »

Mike, I wish I would have seen your post sooner, I would have invited you over for coffee and to hear the pressure stat and HX sounds. I leave mine on all morning/afternoon on the weekends, and once it's up to temp, it stays pretty stable and the pressure stat cycles, though audible, aren't super frequent and I personally don't find them obtrusive, overly loud, or bothersome. During the first hour of after a session of pulling shots, it will cycle more frequently as it gets up to temp, but even that is pretty minimal (IMO).
Versalab

Gig103 (original poster)

#9: Post by Gig103 (original poster) »

BillRedding wrote:Let us know your Andreja Premium arrived safely (I know *I* was worried the UPS guys would damage my also heavy Vibiemme on it's long truck-ride from the East Coast to Colorado) -- and your first use/impressions.
I will definitely post back with my initial thoughts. I am very excited, I already received my tracking number!
gophish wrote:Mike, I wish I would have seen your post sooner, I would have invited you over for coffee and to hear the pressure stat and HX sounds. I leave mine on all morning/afternoon on the weekends, and once it's up to temp, it stays pretty stable and the pressure stat cycles, though audible, aren't super frequent and I personally don't find them obtrusive, overly loud, or bothersome. During the first hour of after a session of pulling shots, it will cycle more frequently as it gets up to temp, but even that is pretty minimal (IMO).
Thanks so much for the offer. No worries about the timing; I just didn't want to wait when an open box appeared for 9% off!