Bunnzilla Ditting, Baratza Forte or Vario with steel, or keep Breville Smart

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
angman

#1: Post by angman »

Just picked up a Bunn Trifecta MB to hopefully take my brewing to the next level. I know i can get great results with other pour over methods as well but i wanted simplicity, consistency and repeatability. I currently use a Breville Smart with my Technivorm with very good results. My question is this, should I upgrade the grinder too? I would like a pretty significant increase in the cup to make it worthwhile.

My thoughts are that i would need to go real big or not bother at all. Bunzilla is one option but rather pricey after all is said and done. Would i notice a decent enough improvement if i were to first buy the G1 and use the standard Bunn burrs until i am ready to take the next financial jump?

Find a Ditting 1203 ( is this the right model Tom?) with the massive 120mm flat burrs. Seems like the KF804 is the more popular choice but the burrs size is rather compelling. Or stick with KF804?

Baratza Forte or Vario with steel? The Vario with steel is much more economical and the easiest upgrade but will it be that much better than my Smart for drip? This is where I'm angry with myself for selling my two vario's from the past. They didn't cut it for me for espresso but i never thought of changing the burrs out for drip. Maybe a third one's the charm? Or will the Forte really be that much better at a fairly significant cost? Seems like the burrs are the same and I'm mainly paying for extra build quality and aesthetics (i don't care much about build as Kyle's customer service is second to none and Baratza is close to me). The motor is slightly better, is that enough to make an in the cup difference over the Vario? The Forte is the harder choice as it will cost as much if not more than Bunnzilla.

Upgraditis is such a painful infliction...

Arnoldmoon

#2: Post by Arnoldmoon »

I don't have large burr grinder to compare but my vario + steel burr generates quite bit of fines. I get around 10 - 20% through #30 or #40 sieve depends on brew methode.. (Or maybe there's something wrong with my grinder.)

Arnold

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

If you don't lock yourself into a G1 you can find G series grinders for $200 or less. This would put the Bunn/ditting conversion in the High $500 range. The Forte isn't giving you much for the $$ if you just want a brew grinder. Vario with steel burrs would cost about the same as the Bunn/Ditting but be more kitchen friendly. Durability is questionable. The KF804 would be a step down from the G series with the 804 burrs IMO as you loose the auger & easy burr access.
LMWDP 267

weebit_nutty

#4: Post by weebit_nutty »

angman wrote:My thoughts are that i would need to go real big or not bother at all.
Your thinking is highly flawed. Going really big won't get you very far. Drip brewing is a very simple process and perfect extraction can be attained on even the cheapest of budgets. If you want a better cup buy better beans. I don't mean to be crude, but everyone's after something different in the cup. You can change your blend to get further than, say trying to squeeze more 'fruits' out of your beans with a $2000 titan conical.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

angman (original poster)

#5: Post by angman (original poster) »

I agree on the better beans, but i already buy great beans as well. I understand my pallete isnt as sophisticated but am working on it. That is also the reason for the Trifecta purchase. I want to replicate distinct flavors from the same beans that many people rave about. I figure if im nit getting what othrs are its either my pallete or i need to adtjust brew parameters with consistency.

John are all G grinders the same outside of size? Im not all that familiar with bunn grinders but there is an abundance of them in ads. Just pick any G for a good price, throw in the ditting machined burrs and they will all be the same outside of aesthetics and size?

Tom C's comments on his 120mm Ditting burrs really struck me with the size does matter theory. I find it amazing that he can use it for both espresso and drip. Im not trying to accomplish the same as i have dedicated grinders but id got to be honest and would love to try it as an espresso grinder as well.

If the Vario with steel is producing that much fines i will pass. Although im not sure what is normal for drip. Anyone know?

Arnoldmoon

#6: Post by Arnoldmoon »

angman wrote:

If the Vario with steel is producing that much fines i will pass. Although im not sure what is normal for drip. Anyone know?
I think it depends on what you are looking for. Some prefers to have uniform grind size to get even extraction, that case using a sieve would be a great start or even alternate. Some gets great result with broader range of extraction, as already mentioned, it depends on your bean and preference, how much control you want etc etc. try 500u sieve on your grinder first and see if fines are actual issue on your setup. 3inch ones cost not too much.

Arnold

angman (original poster)

#7: Post by angman (original poster) »

Im also looking for simplicity. Not looking forward to have to sift my grounds through a sieve. If that is the case I'd stick with a much cheaper pour over method instead of the Trifecta. Of course i would do it for experimentation. Thank you for the suggestion.

As for the Bunns. Assume its possible to single dose with Bunnzilla and no real retention issues? As good as the hopper is with the Smart i find that my beans sit in the hopper far longer than i like.

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

weebit_nutty wrote:Your thinking is highly flawed. Going really big won't get you very far. Drip brewing is a very simple process and perfect extraction can be attained on even the cheapest of budgets. If you want a better cup buy better beans. I don't mean to be crude, but everyone's after something different in the cup. You can change your blend to get further than, say trying to squeeze more 'fruits' out of your beans with a $2000 titan conical.
Speaking of highly flawed, pay attention to what the OP is asking. There's nothing in his question that is dealing with beans. He's asking about a grinder. And he's not asking about a titan conical. He's asking about a brew grinder. :roll:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

boar_d_laze

#9: Post by boar_d_laze »

We used a Breville Smart for several years as our brew grinder, and liked it quite a bit. Last Fall I replaced it with a Bunnzilla -- not because of unhappiness with its performance for brew, but because I was doing so much more cupping; and cupping really magnifies the importance of those "mechanical aspects" you mentioned.

There's a lot to like about the Smart. And, Scotty has a point that given a minimum level of grinder competence you'll get more difference in the cup from different beans than from different grinders. However, while it's important perspective, it's not really the issue.

Brew grinder to brew grinder, for any given bean, the Bunnzilla is larger, louder, less convenient, vastly more expensive, faster, and a great deal better in the cup than the Smart. For all of our brewing methods -- including Chemex + Kone, Espro, and (balance beam) siphon, among others -- every bean presents a wider, more nuanced, and clearly defined spectrum of taste than when ground by the Smart; greater sweetness; and a signature, "juicy" mouthfeel.

Worth it? Easily.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

weebit_nutty

#10: Post by weebit_nutty »

TomC wrote:Speaking of highly flawed, pay attention to what the OP is asking. There's nothing in his question that is dealing with beans. He's asking about a grinder. And he's not asking about a titan conical. He's asking about a brew grinder. :roll:
Eye rolls huh :? ... okay it wasn't the best wording, but when I said 'titan conicals' I was referring specifically to burr size, not grinder. I use my HG One as a brew grinder. I regularly use my HG One for brew coffee which as you know uses 83mm Robur burrs. For single cups, prefer using it over my Forte BG. It's much quieter (doesn't wake up the wife) and operating it is an exhilarating experience every time.

Anyway...
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?