Built-In Espresso Machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ciarasherrianne

#1: Post by ciarasherrianne »

Hi Everyone! I love coffee and we are building a home. I would LOVE to buy a built-in espresso machine. They are super expensive for a decent one from my research, but it appears that the espresso is automatic, which I would think would be akin to getting a cappuccino mix out of a box and adding water. Can anyone educate me and let me know if I am wrong about built-in cappuccino machines and if so, what would be a nice cappuccino machine that would make me a delicious latte in the morning? We don't generally make such splurges, but we have a sick baby and I am stuck in the house so no coffee house runs. Thank you for your anticipated help!

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#2: Post by EspressoForge »

I would personally advise against it. My reasoning is:
  1. Your machine selection is possibly limited (I'm sure some normal semi-auto machines could be built-in if you really wanted).
  2. If you do go with a super-auto...my opinion is that there are some decent super automatics, but none are what I would call worth the price. In other words, $200 espresso machines make better coffee with a separate grinder.
  3. What if you want to upgrade?
  4. What if the internals need service? You'd need to make sure to have a clever cabinet design that wouldn't make your life a pain.
  5. What real advantage does built-in have over a dedicated espresso bar?
My suggestion, go with a custom built espresso bar area and put your espresso machine there, just make sure you have enough space for your dream machine and grinder and room to prep. Give it a sink and a custom knockbox and any other awesome stuff you'd like.... Mini-Fridge below, and lets say a milk dispenser. I've never seen one..but hey if they work and can be kept clean why not? Custom racks for espresso & cappuccino cups...I think I could go on about all kinds of ways to spend money there...haha!

Good luck and have fun, building a home is a journey.

csepulv

#3: Post by csepulv »

I agree with Andre (EspressoForge). I would advise against the super-auto/built-in.

One other thing I would add is to consider room for grinders. I am limited in my grinder choices as I need it to fit under my kitchen counters. If I were designing a kitchen, I would take grinder heights into account and work out a design that still fits the kitchen and allows for varying grinder options.

The same could be said for the machine in general -- some lever machines, for example, have the lever in the up position when not in use and that also affects cabinets. Some have concerns over venting when putting a taller machine directly under a cabinet as well, or simply just having adequate room for easily reaching cups on top of the machine.

Finally, consider a water line and drainage for the machine.

These are all things that wouldn't necessarily add a lot of cost to the kitchen, if dealt with during design.
Chris

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

ciarasherrianne wrote:They are super expensive for a decent one from my research, but it appears that the espresso is automatic, which I would think would be akin to getting a cappuccino mix out of a box and adding water.
As you so accurately conveyed, super-automatics are high on convenience and low on everything else, except price. Opinions of built-in espresso machines like Miele, Bosch, Thermador and Dacor elaborates on this point at length.

If you don't have time for espresso preparation the "old fashioned" way, capsule systems like Nespresso are reportedly the next best thing at low cost of entry, albeit with a high per-serving cost. You won't find a lot of interest in such systems among the membership given the site's motto "Your guide to exceptional espresso", but there are other forums that cater to those who prefer single-serve (e.g., singleservecoffeeforums.com).
Dan Kehn

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#5: Post by mivanitsky »

This is possibly the only legitimate built-in espresso machine. I'm not sure I've seen any discussion of this on this site. You will still need a real grinder, but at least it will make real espresso.

http://www.modbar.com/espresso/

Most of us here suffer from upgraditis, or like to experiment with multiple devices, and would not tolerate something so permanent, however.

- Mike

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#6: Post by EspressoForge replying to mivanitsky »

That looks pretty cool, but it still looks like a bit more of a gimmick than a real machine. I could be wrong...might appeal to some coffee shop owners. Also has me wondering the price, when it says contact us, I always get the idea that the price is either variable based on how much they think the client will pay...or so high they don't want sticker shock.

Just to note, it would require a 220v line @ 16 amps.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#7: Post by mivanitsky »

Modbar makes professional commercial coffee stuff. They are more well-known for their built in water heaters for pour over applications. I've never actually seen their espresso stuff in a cafe. I would bet that they are not cost competitive with standard espresso machines.

220V 20A is trivial in conjunction with a kitchen remodel or new build. The plumbing and water filtration is a bigger deal.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#8: Post by EspressoForge replying to mivanitsky »

Oh yeah, I would definitely put in a 220v line if I was building a bar...machine selection would not only be better, but 220v is more efficient anyway.

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by cpreston »

Little Collins in NYC has the Modbar and makes excellent and consistent espresso with it.

Dooglas

#10: Post by Dooglas »

I would personally advise against super automatic machines AND built-in machines. The first because they don't produce very good espresso (especially for the cost), and the second because servicing or possible machine replacement in the future also just got more complicated and more expensive. If I were designing a new kitchen, I would simply build in a coffee bar in its own area of the kitchen - power strip, 20V outlet, small sink, water connection, drain connection, lighting, etc. Now you are ready for whatever set-up you prefer and have the flexibility to adapt to an alternative system if and when you want.