Breville Smart Grinder and Breville Dual Boiler...Good combo?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TheSunInsideYou

#1: Post by TheSunInsideYou »

I am a first time poster, but frequent reader of the forums.

I am looking to put a reasonably priced espresso station at my home, as I cannot get enough of the taste of fresh espresso and the local sbux isn't doing it for me (probably understandably so). I have a competent amount of barista experience, so I believe that I am ready for a bit above an entry level machine. The Breville Dual boiler and Smart Grinder look like steals, but I was wondering if anyone has owned them for an adequate enough time to tell me the long term value of them. I've read a lot of good things about the Breville Dual Boiler, but I haven't read a whole lot about the Smart Grinder, except a review of it where they explained that, out of the box (at least in the first production), it would not grind fine enough for a quality espresso, but that Breville sends out a kit for free that allows you to alter that. I have read enough to know that a quality grinder is more important than a quality machine, so let me know if you think I need a better grinder to fulfill my espresso needs.

Thanks for the help!
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

The Smart Grinder can be set up to grind fine enough for espresso if it doesn't do it right out of the box but it isn't a very good espresso grinder. Up your budget & get a decent grinder to go with the Breville DB. For $250-$300 you could buy a used Mazzer Super Jolly which would be a HUGE improvement over the Breville S/G.
LMWDP 267

TheSunInsideYou (original poster)

#3: Post by TheSunInsideYou (original poster) »

Where can I find a Super Jolly for $250!? I would absolutely buy that. Does that mean that I could find a used mini for around $200? Wouldn't a mini be more than sufficient?

Thank you for your advice.
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

dustin360

#4: Post by dustin360 »

I just recently used the smart grinder for the first time a few days ago, and even at its finest setting it wasnt fine enough. I suppose you could shim it, but finding a used super jolly is a much better idea. Check craigslist.

allon

#5: Post by allon »

Keep an eye out on eBay and Craigslist, though you'll have a bunch of competition. Your best bet is to hop on craigslist listings quickly and look for poorly listed items..

Mazzar anyone?

Luigi grinder?

Coffee Grinder?

espresso ?

If it says "Jolly" anywhere near it, you're too late....

I managed to score two Super Jolly's and a Nuova Simonelli MDX for $75 ea (different listings, different times). Add $50 for new burrs, give it a good cleaning, and you're in business.
LMWDP #331

Randy G.

#6: Post by Randy G. »

31 pages of posts HERE on the BDB.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

jonny

#7: Post by jonny »

TheSunInsideYou wrote:Where can I find a Super Jolly for $250!? I would absolutely buy that. Does that mean that I could find a used mini for around $200? Wouldn't a mini be more than sufficient?

Thank you for your advice.
The mini generally sells for more than the super jolly. Since they are lower volume/home grinders their condition is usually much better. The average around $350, although I snagged one before my super jolly on craigslist for $150, so good deals aren't unheard of. It's a decent grinder but you'll likely find several cheaper super jollys first which will also save you the upgraditis down the road. The used market for grinders can generally get you a machine 10x better than a new retail item. patience, a good eye, and a quick response can yield a good deal on craigslist.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

TheSunInsideYou wrote:Where can I find a Super Jolly for $250!? I would absolutely buy that. Does that mean that I could find a used mini for around $200? Wouldn't a mini be more than sufficient?
This is Home-Barista. Sufficient isn't the goal around here. :lol:

The Super Jolly is what you want to look for, not the Mini. Check your PMs.
LMWDP 267

Javacat

#9: Post by Javacat »

The smart grinder is a really good grinder - I use mine for drip and other brew methods - don't know if can be mod'd to allow it to grind for espresso or not. Good used espresso grinders can be found in the sub-$400 range. Check ebay and your local Craigslist for listings. A used SJ is probably your best bet.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

The Smart Grinder is a good brew grinder but it falls short in the pump espresso range. It needs more power & better micro adjustment to be a good espresso grinder although if you are grinding pretty coarse for a lever it might be acceptable.
LMWDP 267