Bezzera Strega: Is it a pump espresso machine with lever, or piston/lever oddity with pump?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Barb
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Barb »

As some of you know I am looking to purchase a really fine machine, replacing my Silvia.
2-3 drinks a day, espresso and cappuccino.
I have been looking a HX machines, was made aware of Bezzera, stumbled onto the Strega and now it is in my mind; Have watched Jim Schulman's videos as well as those from WLL and even a German video
What is this Strega, the "Witch" (that is what Strega means)? Is it a pump *(has vibratory pump, Heat exchanger),looks like a pump machine - SS boxy machine as opposed to the "bullet" look of pure Piston machines.

I gather that I definitely will need a better grinder than my Vario-W if I go this Strega route so that is a consideration

Is it more fragile, on average, than HX machines (I had my eye on Vibiemme or ECM models)?

Would love to hear from this community.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Have you read the Bezzera Strega Review? It covers all key points you need to make a purchase decision.

Judging from the flurry of threads you've created asking for buying advice (1, 2, 3, 4, and now today's), you may be suffering from "analysis paralysis". It may be cold comfort, but there are no bad choices among your options, only different ones. The Strega is certainly among the more interesting options with its hybrid design. Bezzera has a reputation for quality construction. Honestly, if an espresso machine wasn't one we could recommend, we wouldn't publish a review of it.
Dan Kehn

Barb (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Barb (original poster) »

Thanks,Dan
I don't have any sources close to home,there is so much to learn AND the information,knowledge and support from Home Barista has been invaluable
I don't mean to overload the forum but I made mistakes in previous years from lack of good advice.I do not want , cannot afford, to replicate those imperfect choices.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Will check the Review you list... Thanks again

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

Barb wrote:I don't have any sources close to home
There are regular meetups for HBers in the Chicago, Milwaukee, N. Illinois, and N. Indiana areas. The next one will probably be in late June or early July. A lot of the machines you are asking about are available and can be brought. I wrote the Strega review; PM or email me if you want to see how it (and addict level coffee hobby addiction) works at an earlier date.
Jim Schulman

Barb (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Barb (original poster) »

You also did the videos didn't you? I have watched them repeatedly.. And the Strega has seduced me, that darn witch!
The fact of the lever and the control, interaction with the user makes it stand out from the crowd of HX machines

Thanks for learning about the groups... Will look into that..
Really appreciate... In the couple weeks of perusing this site and interacting I have learned so much. Am still very much a newbie but I am starting to see glimmers of light in the novice fog

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

Hi Barb, Check your in box
Jim Schulman

BillRedding

#7: Post by BillRedding »

Barb,

Well...have you decided on a, espresso machine yet (Strega?).

If so, did you order it yet? I know you weren't going to wait for your birthday!

After all the discussion here re: appropriate machines, Inquiring Minds want to know which one you finally chose... ;-)

-- BR

Barb (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Barb (original poster) »

I am going to order a Strega
Jim Schulman was gracious and invited me to his home so I could see and handle one ...I really like what I saw and sampled
Making decision on a new grinder...too.That is what has held me back. Very interested in an HG-1 for the reasons that it is a single dose grinder with little retention and I can seemingly easily grind by weight (using a small scale).Want to make a good decision
New grinder strictly for Espresso, my Vario-W will then be used for coffee (French Press, Keurig) and I will take my virtuoso to work so I can freshly grind the beans on a daily basis.

BillRedding

#9: Post by BillRedding »

Barb,

Okay...be sure to come back then after you use it for a while and let us know how you like it.

Also let us know it arrived safely and without incident: It's always a concern when shipping heavy & expensive items as they have to deal with the Shipping Gorillas sometimes. The Strega is almost the very same weight as my VBM Super HX, and mine arrived safely (from 1st Line Equipment although I purchased it from Venia Coffee) so I am assuming you'll be getting it @ 1st Line also, as they are the Bezzera dealer (another one is in Canada but "international" purchases can be more trouble). 1st Line says they take extra precautions for shipping your Strega, which is very good!

I'm sure you read the Strega "Notes" @ 1st Line, so don't back-flush the Strega! At least that's one routine espresso machine chore you won't have to deal with...unlike the rest of us. ;-)

You will have to install the lever though, so you'll be getting some hands-on espresso machine technician work right up front.

After that, I hope it's smooth sailing...

Good luck,

-- BR

Gig103

#10: Post by Gig103 »

Glad to see that you found a machine, Barb!