Bezzera Strega Dimensions

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
FinnLight

#1: Post by FinnLight »

Hi,

I am considering buying this machine, but want to make sure that it fits in my kitchen. I already found the basic size info, but would need few additional numbers to make sure it fits. I have an open shelf above the machine.

So if someone could measure the following things:

-height of the body with the water reservoir lid open

-height of the cup tray from the table (cup clearance)

-the horizontal distance from the front edge to the lever pivot point

-the horizontal distance from the lever pivot point to the handle

-height of the lever pivot point from the table

-length of the lever

With these I could make sure that the lever does not hit the shelf and that the cups fit on the tray.

Thanks,
Mikko

DanoM

#2: Post by DanoM »

Hope this helps. It's in metric, since you appear to be in a sane part of the planet. :lol:
(FYI: I have the "classic" Strega with the older style round handle.)

-height of the body with the water reservoir lid open
515mm from table top

-height of the cup tray from the table (cup clearance)
100mm from table top
130mm from grate to bottom of naked PF
86mm from grate to bottom of double spout PF

-the horizontal distance from the front edge to the lever pivot point
80mm from front of drip tray to pivot point

-the horizontal distance from the lever pivot point to the handle
130mm from pivot point to fully tipped lever
210mm from front of drip tray to fully tipped lever

-height of the lever pivot point from the table
460mm from table top to pivot
700mm from table top to fully tipped lever, ~710mm max height on pivot

-length of the lever
260mm from pivot center to lever tip
LMWDP #445

FinnLight (original poster)

#3: Post by FinnLight (original poster) »

Thanks Dan for the info. :D

So bottom line. The strega will fit in my kitchen and the lever will not touch the shelf. However, the water tank lid cannot be completely opened under the shelf as it is only 465mm from the table top. In the current setup, I am using a flower watering pot with a thin neck to pour water into the Oscar water tank. With a height limitation of 465mm can you open the strega water lid enough to fill the tank by slipping the thin neck to the tank?

One more question regarding to the measurements. What is the height of the cup warming tray (on top of the machine) to the table top?

Thanks again.

DanoM

#4: Post by DanoM »

From counter top to top of machine warmer area wall is 405mm

465mm clearance will give you enough vertical room to lift the reservoir lid and top it off. I can even see the reservoir enough to know when to stop "watering the machine."

I was going to put my Strega on an existing countertop until I realized that lever pulls are easier when the pivot point is about shoulder level - they turn into an effortless pull. That and I also got a Compak K10 that needed as much vertical space as the Strega even without the hopper. I ended up making a bench and that worked out great since I made it specific to my pulling needs, and we put a 5 gallon water bottle underneath for the drain making cleanup easier. Something to consider if you have any room.
LMWDP #445

FinnLight (original poster)

#5: Post by FinnLight (original poster) »

Great, I guess I have to start convincing my wife :mrgreen: that we need a new machine. (Same as why we need a new car, We don't!)
I guess it is that first proper espresso I had in Nice (France) that was made with a lever. That shot has haunted me ever since and I guess I cannot stop before I can reach my goal.

I have a small pedestal built for the k10 as it will not fit under the shelf, but our kitchen is so small that I cannot make any new benches for the equipment so therefore I am asking. Our counter is 90cm high and that puts the lever at 160cm (5' 4") which is a bit low for me at 190cm but perfect for my wife.

DanoM

#6: Post by DanoM »

Well, you won't be the first one with a tight cabinet space that's for sure! It's a great machine I think.

If you keep the towels that hit the warming rack and cup clean I haven't had any issues with debris getting into the reservoir. My milk rag is always on top of the machine and the coffee rag goes on the PF handle or the space in front of the machine. This keeps the grinds from scattering across the warming rack and into the machine.

For the Strega there is 1 modification that is really essential I think. Get a vacuum relief valve with a nipple on it and a T fitting to plumb that out. The vacuum relief valve does spit all over the inside of the machine, so it's best to take care of that right away. Simple and easy instructions are on the site here somewhere.
LMWDP #445