Better Espresso Grinder: Baratza Forte vs. Vario

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BKSinAZ

#1: Post by BKSinAZ »

I know the Forte is built better, but the proof is in the cup.......
Will the forte grind a better espresso grind than its little brother, the Vario?

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

Seeing as the burr set is identical, the only improvement could come from more secure carriers, and wobble is hardly a problem on a vario.
LMWDP #366

Shenrei

#3: Post by Shenrei »

There is a direct comparison on the Forte thread regarding this using the ceramic burrs. From what I remember, there is a very subtle but clear improvement with espresso, and a much more drastic improvement with drip.
- Tim

canuckcoffeeguy

#4: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

I remember reading something from Kyle at Baratza saying the Forte is designed to grind faster, because of its more robust construction. I don't think this affects quality in the cup. But it will affect timer dosing.

russel

#5: Post by russel »

Please remember that the Forte is most similar to a Vario W with additional time based grinding abilities. I own a Forte BG and have owned 2 regular Varios. The Forte is a huge leap in build quality, and one that you will appreciate even at home. If you know how to negotiate and can afford the extra $250 to $300, I think it's worth it...as long as you're comfortable when it comes time to compare your 13" grinder to other forum members' 22" grinders!
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by uscfroadie replying to russel »

+1

Same here - owned 2 Varios and a Forte, only mine was the AP, not the BG. Like Russel said, it's a few hundred more, but it's a much beefier built grinder. If you have the scratch, it's hard to beat.
Merle