Best single-dose grinder available?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ryanjg11

#1: Post by ryanjg11 »

I know "best" is all about your reference point... So I'll give you mine: I have a old-school Mazzer Rio (Super Jolly) with Doser that I've been quite happy with, home use, it makes at most three drinks a day. But, I'm looking for a way to speed up the routine, maybe keep things cleaner on the countertop, but still offering the same/better grind consistency and performance.

Right now, I use a food scale to measure my bean weight pre-grind, throw it in my funny looking mini-hopper, grind it, then open the doser mech and dust it out, then dose the remaining left-overs.

I know I'm not using the SJ to its original design (high volume grinding with a packed hopper), so just curious if there might be a better option for me. Thoughts?

kwantfm

#2: Post by kwantfm »

For my purposes the HG one is the best single dose grinder available. There's a little bit of fiddling with RDT to prevent static and WDT for good distribution... but there is no perfect grinder in my opinion. Grind quality is exceptional.
LMWDP #602

boar_d_laze

#3: Post by boar_d_laze »

Keep the Rio; buy a mini hopper and a grinder-timer (like the Auber).

Or, buy the best grinder you can find, and if it doesn't already come with a timer, get a timer. In any case, quit worrying so much about precision dosing and retention.

Excuse my seemingly non-responsive answer. Time-dosing may not have been what you meant, but it's still single dosing and it works swell.

If you're determined to weigh each dose before grinding, the coolest option seems to the Compak K-10 PB. Aside from how well it can be adapted for single dosing, it's an uber-Titan conical, much like other uber-Titan conicals; and as such one of the few best espresso grinders at any price.

However, I loves me some on-demand grinder.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

SpaceTime

#4: Post by SpaceTime »

Everyones needs / tastes / tolerance levels are different - I would ask first:

- Does it matter to you if the grinder is electric or manual? Some don't like the idea of manual, some (like me) prefer them.

- Is there any budget in mind? A limit to what you want to spend will have a large bearing on others may recommend.

- Are there size / space constraints? You mentioned clearing space on the counter - when we hit the "titan" level and beyond, you already know with the Rio they can get big and heavy, and the mere aspect of the wife moving it to wipe under it can become a discussion point you never anticipated (or maybe you already have).
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

ryanjg11 (original poster)

#5: Post by ryanjg11 (original poster) »

Thanks Rich. Timer is an option, though I wish there was a sleeker way to integrate it into the SJ -- perhaps replacing the spinning dial on the side? The big Auber box is nice looking, in an airline-cockpit-device kind of way.

Haven't given hand grinders too much consideration, but the HG One does seem pretty cool. And more compatible with my single-dosing workflow today. Worth considering, and would it yield as good or better results?

Ryan

SpaceTime

#6: Post by SpaceTime »

ryanjg11 wrote: ...HG One... Worth considering, and would it yield as good or better results?
I have owned my HG One for a short time - but holy smokes. I will go out on a short limb and say unequivocally YES. I am not sure you can match grind quality for a home grinder at any cost.

Others will chime in perhaps. If there is an issue with the HG One - it is NOT grind quality / results in the cup. It is top notch.
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

RioCruz

#7: Post by RioCruz »

I suspect that most people have gravitated to electric grinders simply because they are the most ubiquitous in the marketplace and they are what we see almost exclusively in coffee houses. They are the status quo. Hand grinding has all but disappeared from the average home or store, and as a result, the general technology of hand grinders has not kept up with current demands for even, consistent grinds.

This is changing--especially with the HG-1--and also the Lido, Pharos, etc.

It seems to me--for people who prize "artisan" coffee--hand grinding offers a direct, audio and tactile experience that simply cannot be achieved by any electric grinder. And given the fact that the new generation of hand grinders available are completely up to the task of producing unequaled grinds for brewing or espresso, I should think that a hand grinder would be high on the list of anyone wanting the fullest experience of coffee. Seems to me...
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

Nik

#8: Post by Nik »

I have been using a custom single dose grinder for well over a year now. The Monolith ( Monolith ) continues to bring a smile to my face every time I use it. It is quiet, fast and the taste detail is the best I have ever used. There has been some bowl modifications that provides a bit more space to load the beans. My Compak K10 Fresh has not been used for many months. I love the small footprint of the Monolith. I think we all have a best but when you get down to electric single dose grinders the field is small. I have had the Versalab and I liked it very much but this one is my best.

Bob

kwantfm

#9: Post by kwantfm »

Nik wrote:The Monolith ( Monolith ) continues to bring a smile to my face every time I use it.
Such a pity that it will never become widely available!
LMWDP #602

Nik

#10: Post by Nik »

Can't ever tell. There is a lot of interest and ongoing conversation. Hopefully it does become available to others. It really is that good.