Best single-dose grinder available? - Page 6

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#51: Post by JohnB. »

gophish wrote:I knew the HG-One required RDT/WDT, which has always been the biggest drawback in my opinion. I did not realize (prior to the videos in this thread) the K10PB required the chute to be swept out into the hopper after each dose, do all of you that single dose your K10's go though that much effort?
Are you serious? Flicking an acid brush back & forth a few times to clear a chute is considered "that much effort" but turning a hand crank dozens of times for every dose isn't?
LMWDP 267

pShoe

#52: Post by pShoe »

gophish wrote: I did not realize (prior to the videos in this thread) the K10PB required the chute to be swept out into the hopper after each dose, do all of you that single dose your K10's go though that much effort?
Not all. I believe Dan "sacrifices" some coffee (3-4g??) to purge the K10 of old coffee. I could be wrong, but I remember reading a post from him saying something to that effect. It comes down to the user's priorities (time, or coffee). I'll be a sweeper, but I'm looking at it as a nice trade off from the RDT/WDT/redistributing routine.

Advertisement
SpaceTime

#53: Post by SpaceTime »

gophish wrote:^+1 to why those with HG-Ones got rid of them.

P I did not realize (prior to the videos in this thread) the K10PB required the chute to be swept out into the hopper after each dose, do all of you that single dose your K10's go though that much effort?
Bingo!

If a 40lb, 25" tall, commercially designed, multi-dose grinder (that's why it has a doser) with inherent high retention, which requires it to be used disassembled is the best *mnotorized* conical burr choice for a single dose home user pulling three shots a day - doesn't it say something about the choices?

Interesting what lengths some will go to when emotionally defending their purchasing decisions. "Sold everything else, it all sucked, there is only one choice" :lol: You have to throw out the extremes to get good information at times.

IMHO - Keep your Vario for now, Forte would be the only thing better if you like that size, quality, choice and like more beefiness - and you prefer a motor. HG One has a place for those who want conical Titan quality, don't mind manual, and like the sub-$1K price point. K10PB if you have multi-dose requirements enough of the time, and something that *can* single dose acceptably with a little extra song and dance.... and you don't mind that it is BIG. Oh, and Pharos fits in there somewhere - for $250 and the quality in the cup, how can it be ignored?
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

DanoM

#54: Post by DanoM »

SpaceTime wrote:Interesting what lengths some will go to when emotionally defending their purchasing decisions. "Sold everything else, it all sucked, there is only one choice" :lol: You have to throw out the extremes to get good information at times.
Umm.... Sounds like this applies to SpaceTime as much as it does for the rest of us. No offense intended, but we tend to rationalize our decisions to purchase something as much as we rationalize our reasons not to purchase something. Human nature tells us our own decisions were likely the right ones and we continue to look for supporting evidence to that effect.

I do find it sad we don't have a motorized HG-One, Pharos or even Versalab grinder that is effective, single dosing, clean, and under $1000. Looks like the market would support such a beast in limited quantity.
LMWDP #445

gophish

#55: Post by gophish »

JohnB. wrote:Are you serious? Flicking an acid brush back & forth a few times to clear a chute is considered "that much effort" but turning a hand crank dozens of times for every dose isn't?
Touche, but my point with that statement is that there is still an "extra" step required for the obsessive HB type. I realize that this may be worth it for the results in the cup, but motor vs. manual aside, both grinders require these "extra" steps, RDT/WDT or brushing out the chute.

Seems like there is a lot to be gained by a company that focuses more on the home market (Baratza) if they were to make something as or even more sturdy than the forte, but retain the convenience, and add titan-conical quality.
Versalab

SpaceTime

#56: Post by SpaceTime »

gophish wrote: Seems like there is a lot to be gained by a company that focuses more on the home market (Baratza) if they were to make something as or even more sturdy than the forte, but retain the convenience, and add titan-conical quality.
Yup... same objective assessment I see.
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

SpaceTime

#57: Post by SpaceTime »

DanoM wrote:Umm.... Sounds like this applies to SpaceTime as much as it does for the rest of us. No offense intended, but we tend to rationalize our decisions to purchase something as much as we rationalize our reasons not to purchase something. .
Maybe you are right, to some degree we all are subject to human nature :D but I have attempted to offer other choices, and made an argument what I think does / does not fit into the requirements stated. I have stated the K10 is a top notch grinder, it was second on my list when I bought the HG One - did not make the cut because I am a single doser. I am not making a case that every other choice is completely untenable, as some have. When the "K10PB" or bust argument surfaced, I felt the need to paint its many disadvantages for a true single doser, three times a day.

No offense taken. It's hard to get emotionally invested in a grinder choice... well for some.

Advertisement
mathof

#58: Post by mathof »

DanoM wrote:Human nature tells us our own decisions were likely the right ones and we continue to look for supporting evidence to that effect.
There's another form of human nature, sometimes called "buyer's remorse". That's the kind I have: after I have bought something of consequence, I begin to fear that it was an unwise decision and to ruminate about what I might have bought. I envy those who possess the "I'm usually right" type of human nature.

SpaceTime

#59: Post by SpaceTime replying to mathof »

But getting off the philosophical, and back to the topic - Dano, Matt - what would you pick given the requirements of the OP?

HB
Admin

#60: Post by HB »

Per the site' Guidelines for productive online discussion, I've deleted a couple posts that were both off-topic and bordering on personal attack. For future reference, please use the "report a post" button (it looks like a "!") if you feel another member has violated the site guidelines and a moderator will handle it.
Dan Kehn