Best hand grinder for home use

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ashevillian

#1: Post by ashevillian »

Hello,

I am pretty new to the coffee world but I wanting to learn more. I am currently using a Bodum french press from the 80's which is working well. I'm buying a Chemex and would like to buy a hand grinder/mill to use for both my french press and the Chemex. I have read a lot about the Hario Mini Mill and would be fine buying it but I wanted to know what my options for bigger hand grinders were. I haven't seen any reviews specifically for either french press or Chemex using either of these Hario wooden mills like http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Coffee-colu ... B00539VVAQ or http://www.amazon.com/Hario-MM-2-Coffee ... 004QWMAII/.

Any information would be appreciated!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

[creative nickname]

#3: Post by [creative nickname] »

I think the Orphan Espresso Lido 2 is best suited for your needs. My second choice recommendation would be the Knock Hausgrind.
LMWDP #435

Exordium01

#4: Post by Exordium01 »

The Hario grinders aren't good. There is no burr or shaft stability which results in poor grind distribution. It also takes a long time to grind enough coffee. Skip them and go for something better. You won't regret it.

pacificmanitou

#5: Post by pacificmanitou »

[creative nickname] wrote:I think the Orphan Espresso Lido 2 is best suited for your needs. My second choice recommendation would be the Knock Hausgrind.
+1
LMWDP #366

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#6: Post by EspressoForge »

Are we talking the best? Or the most practical that's still quite good? If really the best, and talking about brew/cupping only (no espresso), look into this:
Titan Manual Grinder

ashevillian (original poster)

#7: Post by ashevillian (original poster) »

I'm really just looking for a good grinder that will produce a consistent grind for both french press and chemex coffee...it does not need to be the best. I don't want to spend too much at this stage as I'm just getting into it.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#8: Post by EspressoForge replying to ashevillian »

Very understandable, and reasonable...but grinders around here are usually anything but! Just kidding, anyway I do agree with the LIDO 2. Although I haven't used it, it's been on my list to pick up, especially as a travel grinder.

Bob_M

#9: Post by Bob_M »

I'd go with Lido 2. The Hausgrind is probably not available and even if it were it has to come from England. I just checked and the Lido is in stock. And it's sold from Idaho. Just click on the link provided by baldheadracing.

Oakeshott

#10: Post by Oakeshott »

Another plus one for the Lido 2. I started with the Hario but quickly moved on.