Best grinder under $2000?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Gfcronus

#1: Post by Gfcronus »

I was all set to buy a Mahlkonig K30 when Clive said the Macap M7D was better for only $100 more. Made me second guess my decision on the K30. Now, I just don't know which one--or some other--to go with.

ShelbiRyan

#2: Post by ShelbiRyan »

Did they specify why they think the Macap is better?

Gfcronus (original poster)

#3: Post by Gfcronus (original poster) replying to ShelbiRyan »

No, but it's probably because they don't sell the K30 and want my business. :D

clyq

#4: Post by clyq replying to Gfcronus »

I'd be pretty upset if that was the reason. There's a trend toward the k30/peak here as their "final" grinder but haven't seen much about the M7D.

HoldTheOnions

#5: Post by HoldTheOnions »

One is a conical and one is a flat burr, so there will be a degree of preference there.

spearfish25

#6: Post by spearfish25 »

There seem to be many more reviews of Compak conicals which is where my money would go if I were considering a conical around that price point.

With the track record and longevity of the K30, you're really buying a well known product. It's not perfect but it's very very good.

ShelbiRyan

#7: Post by ShelbiRyan »

clyq wrote:I'd be pretty upset if that was the reason. There's a trend toward the k30/peak here as their "final" grinder but haven't seen much about the M7D.
Agreed. I would need a pretty legit reason other then wanting your business.

I've heard very very good things about the K30, and there is a lot of happy owners on this forum alone with one. Myself personally, I would need some pretty concrete reasons from the seller as to why I would choose the M7D over the K30. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the M7, but the K30 seems to be a very popular choice, and there has to be a good reason for that...

nickw

#8: Post by nickw »

Agreed, Mahl makes good stuff.
If picking a mass market grinder, my vote would be for the K30.

Beyond that, best to test the actual grinder you're looking at (if you can). Many online vendors have a 30 return policy. Maybe they'll let you buy both, then return the one you like less?

As for my suggestion:
I'd get a Versalab. New is just over your budget (due to a recent price increase), used is well within. If needed, I'd give it an alignment. Your choice between single dosing, or getting the volumetric hopper.

SAB

#9: Post by SAB »

It can often be a bit problematic in asking a vendor about products they don't sell...after all, the salesmen are focusing on the value of the products they have to offer.

You might try someone like Chris coffee service, that carries both, and see if they offer any insight. Please report back, if they do.

However, my experience is generally that you're better off with your own research. Sometimes, and it's not always easy to know when, the salespeople can be a bit like fortune tellers--they try to listen to clues that you give them to push a given button to conclude a sale. And in all fairness to the salespeople, it's a hard job to 1) understand what the buyer's most important needs are (and any show stoppers like size constraints) 2) understand the true budget 3) understand the barista capability of the buyer.

If we could only try them out side by side!

Simon345

#10: Post by Simon345 »

I think the K30 wins in the 'buzz' ie popularity stakes at the moment. M7D just isn't spoken about that much. Having said that, I have personally used the M7D, and it is an excellent grinder. Very quick, rock solid build, easy to use interface. The grind size control is great to use and very accurate. Grinds come out without any clumping. In terms of performance vs value the M7D is just fantastic.