Best espresso machine for around $1500 USD budget?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
auvgeek

#1: Post by auvgeek »

Hi there, first post on this awesome site. I've researched a bit on here and read the stickies, but I'd still love some personalized advice.

My research group (about 5 guys) has a semi-automatic espresso machine in our robotics lab that we're looking to replace. The current machine is an 8-year old KitchenAid Pro Line dual boiler. I use it the most, and I'm the most picky, so I volunteered to research and pick the replacement.

Some thoughts/requirements:

- I'd like to stick with a semi-automatic machine (or automatic) but I'd like to upgrade to something with more steaming power and just all around better.

- As far as usage goes, we probably pull 4-10 shots daily, but rarely all in a row. I think I'm the only one who uses the steam wand.

- Reasonably small/space efficient. Footprint no larger than 20" x 20"; prefer closer to 15" x 15". Height is irrelevant.

- It needs to be relatively simple and intuitive to operate. I'm certainly willing to dial it in for my use, but it needs to be simple for anyone who doesn't care about "good" espresso to work the machine. Prefer something clean-looking. Not sure if my boss would like the look of the Elektra machines, unless I can convince him that they're definitely superior.

- When I asked about a budget, the boss's exact words were, "I don't really have anything in mind, but I don't want spend thousands. I want a good machine that won't break in 6 months." So as much as I'd love an LMLM, the budget is definitely south of $2k. Our current machine retails for $1300, so I think it's reasonable for me to recommend something slightly more expensive without feeling like I'm asking for too much. (All prices USD, and we're located in the US.) Given his desire for durability, I'll probably purchase new online, though I'm not opposed to an open-box type situation from a reputable vendor with a good warranty, support, etc. I'd also like to purchase something within the next two weeks.

Nobody else in the lab seems to care too much about the quality of the grind, so I don't think he'll want to spend any money on a good grinder. I've been using a cheap burr grinder from Amazon, but I'll probably buy an OE Pharos for personal use when we get the new machine. I'll then keep the grinder for after I graduate and buy an espresso machine for my house. I buy fresh roasted beans online (Paradise Roaster, JBC Coffee, etc), use a postage scale to get a consistent dose, and fresh grind my beans daily.

I've been looking at the Profitec Pro 500, as well as the three machines mentioned in the "How To Choose an Espresso Machine" sticky (Quickmill Anita, Expobar Control, Vibiemme Domobar Super). Any other recommendations, thoughts, or advice? Thanks in advance.

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

If you're pulling such low volume and usually only 1 espresso at a time do you have have to go with an auto or semi auto. Can't get much simpler, easy to clean, long lasting and forgiving on grind than a vintage VAM/Caravel with new seals and PF gasket.
I can make a great shot in little time by pre- heating water in separate kettle.

If stuck on an semi-auto machine and a little flexible on $$ I'd be looking at a Londinium 1.
I'm not a fan of vibration pumps as I don't the noise or much else so would be looking at a rotary pump machines
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Advertisement
Fluffeepuff

#3: Post by Fluffeepuff »

If you want to stick with a dual boiler, I really like the Profitec Pro 300 ($1550 generally, but I know WLL will deal and Clive might match).

The Quick Mill QM67 Evo runs around $2k and is an E61 Group. I personally don't like the aesthetics, but it's a great machine.

My $0.02 for your lab!

auvgeek (original poster)

#4: Post by auvgeek (original poster) »

Hey, thanks for the replies!

The Londinium looks like a great machine, but probably more than the boss will want to spend. It look so nice that I might consider it for my kitchen after I graduate, so thanks for the heads up! The vintage VAM/Caravel doesn't do steam, so I think that's out. Again, this is a robotics lab so the noise of a vibration pump really isn't an issue.

There's no real *need* to stick to a dual boiler. As far as I can tell, the only advantage there would be that I could froth milk while pulling a shot, and I don't mind waiting a bit after the shot is pulled to steam the milk. That about right?

The QM67 Evo looks nice, but maybe more than he'd like to spend. Again, not sure if I really need a dual boiler. I guess the title should be "Best espresso machine for about $1500." I'll change it now.

h3yn0w

#5: Post by h3yn0w »

You can brew and steam at the same time (or more realistically right after brewing with no wait) on a heat exchanger. I would look at a good , reliable E61 HX. The pro 500 you mention will do just fine and will last forever if you want it to.

chrisbodnarphoto

#6: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

The new Rocket Appartemento looks pretty promising - an HX machine with a small footprint, and the price seems right!

You could always get a Breville Dual Boiler and potentially add a decent grinder with what you'll have left over (Baratza Vario or similar, or - if you aren't in a rush - you could wait for the Baratza Sette). Its a user-friendly machine and not too intimidating for folks who aren't into coffee as much as you are. Not the most exciting option but a fairly solid choice none the less, and allows you to get a decent grinder that is known to produce some great results!

Apogee

#7: Post by Apogee »

+1 Breville dual boiler. Spend money on the grinder. Any money spent above this level is just for looks.

Advertisement
auvgeek (original poster)

#8: Post by auvgeek (original poster) »

I guess I should mention that, besides the other things already listed, I do care about good steaming power with nice, dry steam. Any competitors for the Pro 500 in the E61 HX category for around $1500-$1800? For example, how does the Quickmill Anita or above-recommended Rocket Appartemento compare? I'm just not sure how to compare the different models. Is there a clear winner in this category, or should I just pick one and move on?

Unfortunately, I don't think I can add a decent grinder for the lab with what's left over: it would require we all go in on beans, etc. But like I said, I plan to buy an OE Pharos grinder and keep it in the lab.

redbone

#9: Post by redbone »

Using pre ground coffee and not grinding fresh will dramtically change the taste of your cup.
Analogous to a sports car with old bias-ply tires. You will be limiting the car or in this case espresso maker full potential.
Might be better off with a Breville Barista express in this situation for the price you get grinder built in that anyone can use.

Edit: I'm not one of those who believes the grinder is more important than the machine. I do believe that freshly ground coffee especially in a small volume cup such as an espresso does make a remarkable difference from my experience.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

flathead1

#10: Post by flathead1 »

Zak,

I know you've nixed the grinder upgrade but ....

Whole Latte Love has a sale on now for a Expobar Office lever (HX) and a Vario grinder for $1699. there is a 7% off sale going on which I assume can be used which takes it to $1580. (I am not affiliated in any way with WLL). If the 7% doesn't work for some reason give them a call and see if they can help you with a better price over the phone.

Unfortunately you've fallen in with bad company, crazy espresso guys who believe in their bones that the grinder is so much more important than the machine that we can't give up on recommending the grinder.

Tell your boss the grinder comes as part of a package and that it is a multi-tasker which can go from espresso grind to drip to french press easily and quickly (The Vario is optimized for Espresso but does have the ability to change grind size by the manipulation of the grind levers). If he still hesitates tell him there is a catch bin for the Vario and you will keep fresh (relatively) ground espresso in it for him to use each day.

Basically all HX/DB machines at this level will steam well, some require a little tweeking (steam tip changes, setting the pressure stat/PID to get more or less steam from the HX boiler) and yes you can pull shots and steam at the same time with either one.

Remember there are extras what may need to be purchased. Tamper, knock box, steaming pitcher if you don't already have them.

Good luck.

Just my 2 cents.
A Lever and a place to stand ...

LMWDP #152