Basic hand grinder question - how long to dose a shot?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
overdose

#1: Post by overdose »

Hey Guys. I've been considering adding a hand grinder to my inventory. One thing I'm curious on is, how long does it take you to dose a shot? 1 min? 5 min? 10 min? Or is this determined by the actual type of hand grinder? Thanks.

hipporun

#2: Post by hipporun »

It will vary from grinder to grinder slightly, and in larger margins depending on how much your grinding. (Yes) The hario skerton is a popular option, grind time isn't bad. Maybe minute or two?

overdose (original poster)

#3: Post by overdose (original poster) »

Thank you sir for the context.

dominico
Team HB

#4: Post by dominico »

Burr size and burr aggressiveness play very large factors, as well as the fineness setting and the bean roast.

But, assuming you are talking about grinding a 14 - 18g espresso dose,
Vintage handmills and smaller modern handmills (like the Porlex and the Hario) will grind that in a minute or two.

More aggressive modern handmills like the Lido 3 or Feldgrind will grind that in roughly 30 to 45 seconds.

Super aggressive "titan burr" handmills, the Pharos or HG One, will grind that in 15 to 25 seconds.

Under the right conditions my Pharos rivals my Vario in terms of grinding speed.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Nate42

#5: Post by Nate42 »

The whole shot pulling process takes me about 5 minutes on my pharos + anita. That includes weighing loading dosing flushing tamping. Actual grinding is a pretty small piece of it.

lapavoni1999

#6: Post by lapavoni1999 »

Dominico summed it up best. I might add that I recently moved from an entry level burr grinder up to a HG One. My setup is having a scale, scoop and sealed bean container all on the counter. I timed about 60 seconds to measure 14g of beans on the scale and about 30 turns (medium roast) with the Tin 83mm HGOne. I have only run about 1 pound through it as it is nearly brand new but aligned well. The whole process really took about 60 seconds. It might be out of your budget but I am not wanting for another power grinder and while this is large and 'expensive' it makes an incredibly fully grid.

day

#7: Post by day »

14 seconds
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Eastsideloco

#8: Post by Eastsideloco »

That's impressive. It probably takes me 14 seconds to weight the beans. Grinding them is about as quick as weighing beans with an HG one. And dosing with the blind tumbler takes less than 10 seconds. It's an efficient home grinder by any metric.

I'd avoid hand grinders with ceramic burrs for espresso, mostly because they are slow. I enjoy hand grinding in general, but grinding with the ceramic burrs kind of tedious. (For me.)

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Moxiechef »

I just timed it out just under 60 seconds as well. Press start on the timer, turn on scale, weigh 20g Hollogram, mist, grind, whisk, dump into portafilter, stop timer.

Even with a motorized grinder, if you're single dosing, you've still got half those steps and half that time.

My HG-One is about 6 months old and has had about 25# through it.

overdose (original poster)

#10: Post by overdose (original poster) »

Hmm. Thanks for weighing in. I'm considering different setups for work. A motorized grinder would probably be a bit much for my work culture. I was considering a hand grinder and a pour-over setup or an espresso machine. I'm trying to take noise and time into account because it's work and I don't live in Italy.